Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been waiting for prices to come down and they have, so yesterday I went for a test drive. What I rode to the dealer was a Honda Interceptor, a quick bike. When I got behind the wheel of the Ridgeline I found the acceleration slugish. So my questions are, at approximately 5,000 pounds and 247 horsepower, and not tall gearing, how does the Ridge's acceleration compare to other trucks, such as the Taco etc? Is this the compromise we make for what is otherwise a great all around utility vehicle? Is this just my relative perception after going from 0 to 90 in 6 seconds on the Interceptor? If the acceration isn't great, could this, with the price, be what has resulted in average sales? Is the low horsepower a good idea given probable future gas prices?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Ridge weighs roughly 4,400 LBS w/ gas in it, and from what I've read it does 0-60 in 9 seconds. That is pretty good, and yes you should compare it with similar vehicles, meaning trucks-to-trucks.

As far as the Tacoma, its the fastest pick-up around. So if you just want speed, go with it. The Tacoma even in the 4-door with 4WD, weighs in at about 4,100 LBS and does 0-60 in just under 8 seconds. BUT, the Tacoma does not handle as nice, as it is more geared for off-roading, and it is smaller. A very close second in speed is the Nissan Frontier.

But the Ridge is not far behind, we're only talking about 1.0-1.5 second difference, and again the Ridge is bigger, and provides more room. The Ridge is kind of in-between because its bigger than the 4-door "midsize" trucks like the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, but its smaller than the F150, Ram, Silverado, Tundra double-cab.

I'm happy with the accelaration, you step on it, and it moves a 4,400 LB truck almost as fast as you can expect a stock truck to do so. I don't hit the gas and say "wow, this thing hauls a**!". I think if you go test drive a Tacoma, Colorado, F150, and Silverado to get a baseline then you'll see how the Ridge compares. This is what I did, it only took a few hours going into the dealerships, I just told them, hey I've got it narrowed down, I need to take some test drives to compare, but I'm not buying today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh, also MPG. I don't think you're going to find a truck that gets better than the Ridge. But if you like speed, then it doesn't sound like you're too concerned with MPG? I've been getting about 18-19 MPG with at least 75%+ city driving, but thats with taking it easy on the gas pedal. Many others report getting 16,17,18+ as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My two cents worth...
I haven't timed my 0-60, (???) but the "seat of the pants" feeling in my Ridge is that the get and go is more than adequate. Dunno, maybe I purchased a "hot" Ridge. It does happen so I don't have a problem with the acceleration aspect of it. 0-60 stats are just that, stats.
The best thing, there is not a truck on the road that sounds the way this truck sounds when it opens up after 35K RPM. It just begs to be driven hard and never is out of breath. Could it use 20 more pounds of torque and maybe the same increase in horsepower, yeah, maybe. I think you'll find that this truck is very balanced between it's engine, susupension, steering, and braking. Go test drive it and see what YOU think.
Just be sure to turn off the stereo and let 'er wind up thru the gears. And get 'er going about 40, then kick it down. The sound is awesome...
Nobody does engines like HONDA. Period.

·
Registered
578 Posts
From Kodiak
" Unloaded, the Ridgeline out-accelerates the two highest volume full size competitors: Ford F150 and Chevrolet Silverado/Avalanche. It is also within several tenths of a second acceleration when coupled to a 5,000 pound trailer compared to F150 with the optional 5.4L V8 and optional axle ratio. It also out accelerates an Avalanche in the same test with a trailer."

Full post here:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=388353

For a truck, it's pretty darn fast, it's not blazing, but quick enough.
I think you had "false sense" of speed since you did ride a bike to the dealership.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It is a truck. Period.

Actually, when you start adding all of the safety features on to the Ridgline that come standard the weight is going to be higher than the "competitors", which leads to slower acceleration times. Ask yourself, "How important is 0-60?". In my mind this is an arbitrary test method that has no real world implications. What I am more interested in is passing acceleration or slalom times (avoidance manuevers). The Ridgeline is more than adequate in this arena. Also, Honda set out to design and build a truck that would be fuel efficient, haul heavy loads, be extremely safe, and ride extremely comfortably. They did not set out to design and build a truck that would win a drag race.

If you want a pure speed vehicle with a pick up truck bed, look at the Chevrolet SSR or the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. If you want the best all around pick-up truck, look at the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have friends that do not belive that it's only a V-6. It's real easy to find yourself on the highway doing well above the limit based on power and how quiet it is!
I've had a ford 250 and a chevy tahoe, both with 8's in them.. the ridge beats them hands down on acceleration.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, everyone seems fairly happy with the acceleration. Speed is always great when one wants to merge or pass, but most of the time we're all cruising. I guess the right answer is that its a truck that tries to be as economical as is reasonable, and its not going to pass like a beemer. I'll do another test drive. All the smart features, the folding rear seat, the trunk, are appealing.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
pbear, I notice the same thing with my Ridge. I think it is because the Green ones have extra HP! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
The tacoma ride is ok but did you sit in it and drive it? Comparing the space inside both trucks is like night and day. I have always been a Toyota person and still consider their vehicles top notch but to me ( and the wife) the Ridgeline outperformed the tacoma overall!
Mike :cool:

·
Registered
993 Posts
planetohdaddy said:
I'll do another test drive. All the smart features, the folding rear seat, the trunk, are appealing.

This time don't drive your intercepter to the dealer :D . 0-90 in 6 seconds. I guess that would put its 0-60 in the under 5sec category approaching Viper territory. The new Dodge 425hp SRT Charger might feel sluggish next to the intercepter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I too am impressed with the acceleration on my Ridgeline. I test drove a 5.4 liter V8 F150 and to me there was no difference. It's also much faster than the 4.6 liter F150 I traded in for my black beauty.

The Ridge has all the power I need even when I hauling. My only complaint is when I'm driving like a bat of hell sometimes I get a little torque steer when flooring it. Anybody else get that?

It's good to hear that the green Ridges are pretty fast but rumor has it that the black ones are the fastest!

L

·
0 Posts
tedridge said:
It's good to hear that the green Ridges are pretty fast but rumor has it that the black ones are the fastest!
I know you didn't just go THERE!! :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
LadyRidge I'll race ya at the Roc at the Rock. Where can I get details on the event?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is no Titan "my old truck" but I find it to be fine. If you want wheel spinning power get a Titan. If you want a refined comfortable daily driver the RL is the only choice.

Dog Fan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
DogFan said:
It is no Titan "my old truck" but I find it to be fine. If you want wheel spinning power get a Titan. If you want a refined comfortable daily driver the RL is the only choice.

Dog Fan
Not to mention wheel spinning power requires that your system is capable of allowing your wheels to spin. The Ridge refuses to let you spin the tires. I stopped trying to beat people off the line years ago, although with the civic I still do it when I have to (to make a point). Boy if only I could convince my wife she wants an Accord Hybrid I would be smoking more people.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah zero, it's the green! Mean green haulin' ass machine. We scoff at the rest of you. beneath us... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also own the Honda Interceptor, and anything would seem slower after getting off it (those Mustangs ain't nutin' are they :D )

Anyway, for us the Ridge is a "TSUV". Not a "Truck Sport Utility Vehicle", but a "True Sport Utility Vehicle". It doesn't exceed any one purpose (car, truck, 4x4, SUV), but does the combination of all them, better than anything out there. It's established it's own Class.

Almost the same goes for the Interceptor. Not the fastest crotch rocket, and not the faster touring bike. But it does both extremely well..... :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: ridgeline acceleration and mpg

Edmunds.com review of 99 Ody:
"In any case, the Odyssey's VTEC V6 produced 210 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 229 foot-pounds of torque at 4,300 rpm when filled with premium fuel (regular unleaded would have been acceptable, too, but output would have declined to 205 horsepower and 219 ft-lbs) and qualified as a low-emissions vehicle (LEV)."

For most of the six years we owned (and I drove the Ody, I always used 93 octane. The specs above show 5hp and 10lbf torque increase with use of premium and in that 4spd Ody it felt like you were missing a gear without it. This was published in owner's manual. First gear would wind out to near redline which you would have to do if you were trying to accelerate up a steep incline. It helped that I was trained to pay for high octane by Ody predecessor - Mazda 626GT. Turbo 2.2 liter which spec'ed at 140hp but tested like 180 hp.....with 93 octane. The turbo quickly became limp without high octane and in its later years I had a habit of adding "103 Octane boost" (at $7-$8 per tank) in order to "feel the power". I have a short commute and this was cheaper than a new car. What I noticed most from 93 octane in the Ody was the torque increase...would pull stronger from lower rpms; didn't need to wind out the engine as much.

Based on the Ody numbers - premium gives 2.44% increase in hp and 4.57% increase in torque, so its the torque that increases significantly. Applying the same percentage increases to the Ridge (this is purely speculative, except that the manual does advise using premium when towing over 3500lbs and using the 255hp/252lbf no.s) yields: 261hp & 263.5lbf torque. Applied to the new SAE numbers 247hp & 245lbf torque yields: 253hp & 256lbf torque. Wonder what a tank of 103 Octane boost would be like?

As for mpg, I was getting 18-20 mpg in the Ody when traded, but got as high as 28mpg in sustained hiway (when new). Lower mpg due to driving it like wife's Pilot (5spd & 240 hp). Wife's Pilot get's 17mpg as she drives it briskly. Bottom line is you can get a broad range of permformance and mpg depending on how you drive. My first three tanks are 18.5, 17.8 & 17.5 with increasingly "assertive" driving. I expect to get better than Pilot mpg as I don't have to hardly depress pedal to feel same as Pilot acceleration...its the need for sound (that glorious motor at 3-4k rpm). I'm usually loafing along at/under 2k).

BTW, we had a 95 Grand Caravan AWD that averaged 17mpg with much less performance; the 626GT averaged 24mpg,and my co-workers Mazda RX8 gets 15 city and low 20s hiway.
YMMV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts