Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Settling into the Ridgeline, with 4500 miles. A lot of commuting back and forth to work, running around town, many trips to Home Depot and just got back on Saturday from a trip up to Lake George going up and down mountains all week long with a bed and trunk full of crap.

First off, the Ridgeline handled the mountains like a champ, constantly going up and down winding tight mountain roads, it was fun to drive. Sometimes I’d get behind another car and have to slow down going up a mountain, in which you can feel the shifting and the revving of the engine when I needed to hit the gas again. Which is to say, it didn’t drive like it was on a flat road by any means, you knew you were going up a grade but nothing I haven’t experienced before in other cars & trucks. I drove the roads both on sunny days and rainy days – absolutely no difference. I have to say the Ridgeline handles dry roads, wet roads and gritty roads (lots of sediment on road) all the same – excellently.

Packing up the Ridgeline. I stuffed the trunk to the gills, and I was amazed how much crap you can put in there, a lot more than it looks, and you can stuff it all the way to the top, easily. A huge plus and life saver. The bed I put a cooler and a storage tote (for food) strapped to the front and then in the bed I put a 15 cubic foot canvas roof top carrier that I got at Pep boys for 80 bucks, to keep the luggage dry because I don’t have a cover for the bed yet, (I’m looking at you BAK Industries). Tied everything down with a cargo net and a couple of ratchet straps – worked perfectly. My wife and kid still had more stuff that I put under back seats, I used all the storage options and they worked out great.
Bottom line, if you have to load this thing up with crap, it’s almost amazing how much you can stuff into this truck.

After driving it for many more hours & weeks since my first review I thought I’d update and see what changed.

The bed has a few slight scratches / more like rub marks in it already, part of me hates this, part of me laughs and says, it’s a truck get over it.

I have the black leather interior, and especially after the Lake George trip, you can see it’s not shiny new anymore, I’m going to have to Armorall it soon. That’s not to say it looks bad or weathered, it’s holding up fine, but it doesn’t look out of the package new anymore, especially with all the dust throughout the cabin. Dust shows up on black a lot! I haven’t had a black interior for many years and I guess I forgot how much dust shows up on black. A lot.

It’s really quite inside. I know this has been discussed and I knew Honda did a lot to dampen the road noise, I’ve appreciated it since the day I got it, BUT… It wasn’t until recently (after many miles under my belt) that I realized I got used to it and now when I get in someone else’s car that isn’t so quite I really notice the difference. Wow is it a difference.

Filling up the tank. I live in NJ, for those who don’t know, it means I do not pump my own gas, not because I don’t want to, it’s because it’s against the law to. Driving up to Lake George in NY, I had to pump my own gas in the Ridgeline for the first time. The cap-less system is pretty great. Again, I don’t pump my own gas very often so it’s more of a benefit to the gas station attendant, but it’s a nice little convenience added. Sometimes it’s the little things that make life easy you appreciate. Kind of like that compartment in front of the gas door release button, which is perfect for a 23.7 oz. sports water bottle – it just works well.

4 USB chargers, I’ll just say, 3 people driving long distance this rocks - No wait charging.

Windows. I have the ‘E’ so I have the slider in the back, which I have found works very well for solving a problem I don’t understand why NO manufacture has been able to solve. The dreaded 1 window down pressure drumming. I hate this about all cars, you always have to have at least 2 windows down or your eardrums explode.
Also I love that the back windows go all the way down.

Gas mileage. I do a lot of highway driving and I do it with a lead foot, I thought I’d change with this truck, and I have a little but I’m still driving in the 70’s – 80’s, still too fast. The computer comes up around 23 and change - adjusted for what seems to be computer error, about 1 to 1.5 that leaves me at about 21.5 to 22.5 all around (which is heavily highway weighted). I have noticed that if I keep it about 70 on highways I can get around 27, but like I said lead foot and I do not use the eco button.

Armrest gate. I previously wrote that after a while I just didn’t notice it. As far as looks is concerned, it’s still true. As far as use is concerned I have to adjust it all the time because I’m constantly hitting it when I put on my seat belt and moving it up. A little bit of an annoyance to then have to lift it all the way up and down and ratchet it into position. I wish it was a little bit thicker but than it would probably get in the way going into the center console, oh well. This is a bit of nit picking because in the grand scheme of things it’s not even close to a deal breaker, but in the search of perfection …

Cabin width. My wife has put her pocketbook on top of the center console and it doesn’t get in my way, we don’t fight for arm rest real estate and I don’t feel cramped ever. I can’t say this about any other midsized truck. I realize this isn’t an issue for a lot of people, but I have broad shoulders and it’s always a huge concern for me, and honestly a major pain in the ass.

Hit the gas. This is a tricky one. Sometimes I hit the gas and the truck takes off, other times it doesn’t as much. I haven’t played with this enough to give definitive feedback, but I’m wondering if sometimes I just need to step down harder on the gas, but then my question is why the difference? Maybe it’s the way I drive, I’m not sure but I have noticed an inconsistency, just not sure if it’s me or the Ridgeline.

Breaks. Again discussed before, but I am in the camp that wishes they were more responsive sooner. A little too soft for my liking.

No Mute button. I never realized how much this button means until you don’t have one. I want one. And also the ability to pause music if you have it on it on USB. I have a USB stick with around 5000 songs, it’s basically my jukebox, sometimes I just want to stop the music, hit pause and pick it up at another time maybe a different day, without going to radio or shutting off the audio player, this is frustrating.

Fame. Never before have I talked to so many strangers about a vehicle I was driving. I’m chalking it up to the newness of the Ridgeline, I forget which poster said his wife called it a dude magnet but it’s true, people want to ask about it all the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Filling up the tank. I live in NJ, for those who don’t know, it means I do not pump my own gas, not because I don’t want to, it’s because it’s against the law to.
Holy crap! You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey? ?
You can be free, my friend! The eyes of Texas are upon you! Come on down!

But thanks for the detailed update on the Gen 2. Really helpful to folks like me who are Gen 1 owners looking carefully at our next truck purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I enjoyed your review. Positive vibrations! The universe leads me to believe that i too will own an "E" as soon as this week. Your good words stoke my enthusiasm. Thank you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
4500 miles on it already wow. I've had mine for about a month and a half now and have about 850 miles on it. Glad ur enjoying your new RL! Great post.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Be careful piling stuff in the trunk all the way to the top, if it has the same kind of design as Gen 1 that could lead to it being stuck shut if the child safety latch or trunk arms get blocked by stuff.

I guess that's a good question - has anybody compared the trunk latching setup with Gen 1? Does Gen 2 have the same risk of latching shut with too much junk in da trunk?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think I've noticed the same thing with the throttle. It seems to be pretty long travel, and the truck will react to how fast you push it, not necessarily how far.

In other words, pushing it down slowly 1" or quickly 1" will get different results, the trans kicks down more. Takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be careful piling stuff in the trunk all the way to the top, if it has the same kind of design as Gen 1 that could lead to it being stuck shut if the child safety latch or trunk arms get blocked by stuff.

I guess that's a good question - has anybody compared the trunk latching setup with Gen 1? Does Gen 2 have the same risk of latching shut with too much junk in da trunk?
I have no idea about the Gen1, but now I'm wondering if I just got lucky, because when I say it was filled to the top, I mean the top all around. I even was opening and closing the trunk door a bit to make sure the arms had clearance (which they don't really need much) to shut it properly, but I never thought opening it would be an issue.
I'll have to investigate a bit and see what exactly you are referring to that might stop it from opening, but it seemed to be pretty good.

Oh and what do you do if it doesn't opening? Sawzall? :surprise:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts