Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a Honda CRV with AWD but it has gotten stuck several times trying to back out of driveways. I finally found out that CRV's AWD system doesn't work in reverse. No problem, I just tell her to back into driveways if there's ice or snow. Now I'm looking at light trucks and just curious if the Ridgeline (both generations) AWD engages in reverse as well as forward? May not be a deal breaker but would help my decision making process.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My wife has a Honda CRV with AWD but it has gotten stuck several times trying to back out of driveways. I finally found out that CRV's AWD system doesn't work in reverse. No problem, I just tell her to back into driveways if there's ice or snow. Now I'm looking at light trucks and just curious if the Ridgeline (both generations) AWD engages in reverse as well as forward? May not be a deal breaker but would help my decision making process.
Yes, the Ridgeline system is much more capable. On the G1 Ridgeline, you can even manually lock the rear differential while in reverse (by pressing the "VTM-4 Lock" button.)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Forgot to add: Welcome to the ROC! Not just for owners -- for prospective owners too.

As for the G2 Ridgeline (2017+), they have eliminated the manual rear diff lock button. So you will have to wait to hear from some G2 owners about how that is now handled in reverse. I know the AWD G2 Ridgelines have traction "modes" (e.g. sand, snow, mud, etc) but I don't know how they handle reverse.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Surely, some of you folks in the northern climes have had the opportunity to try this out by now.

So... how about an update for us?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, after much deliberation I bought a Gen 1 Ridgeline just after Thanksgiving. Since then I have been able to back out of snow in places where the CRV had trouble...(so far I have not needed to engage the VTM-4 lock). Not sure if the rear wheels are actually engaging or if the conditions are different or the extra ground clearance helps, but so far I'm happy with it's performance on ice and snow in North Idaho. I appreciate your replies to my question.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
^^ That's very good to hear. I've never had any worries with my RL in winter conditions. It's quite simply the most capable winter vehicle I've ever driven. I've even backed up some snowy inclines without any problems at all. As long as you've got good tires, you can go anywhere. I have never had the need to ever use the VTM-4 LOCK function. That would be for when you're literally completely stuck. Otherwise, leave it alone and let the truck do its thing. By the way, depending on which generation of CR-V you have, the 4WD systems in them are extremely light duty. I'm not certain of the actual specifics, but I do know the VTM-4 system in the G1 RL is vastly superior to the RealTime 4WD in the CR-V. I don't know if Honda just didn't expect CR-V drivers to ever back up in wintry conditions or what...

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
^^ Whereas that's a great feature to know about in the G2, we're talking about a G1 in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
And what I saw him do in that video is what I believe caused this G1 tranny to grenade (quick shift from R to D and back trying to get unstuck):

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts