Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I not sure if any of you all saw this but on Collegehillshonda site they have pics of the Tonneau cover. I have not every seen these and thought maybe others have not either.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks for the pic's! It looks pretty nice.
Has anyone on their RL.. just curious if it locks down the tail gate & how easy or hard it may be to take out when needed

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well to me from the way it looks it just like taking out screws and then just putting them back in. Hard to tell. May need to see if anyone has the already.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. I would also like to know from someone first hand how difficult it is to remove (if needed).

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
There is one installed on the RTL on the showroom floor where we bought our Ridgeline. I'm glad we got to see it in person because we are not impressed.

Yes, it locks the tailgate but it looks like an insubstantial lock to me. It did not work easily with the key. Part of that is because it is a demo model and people aren't especially careful with items they don't own. I want to see durability and there was a definite lack thereof in the locking mechanism.

It is not water tight. What's the point? You have to keep everything in the bed in watertight containers?

The rigid half fold left a deep cavern that you'd have to crawl up into the bed to access anything you are hauling around.

It would take a strong person to get it out of the bed after unbolting it. Someone has posted that once it's out it's a storage problem because the edges compress from the weight. Do you have a place to store it flat? I know we don't.

I'm waiting for the roll top models to hit the market. That should be in a couple of weeks, according to Retrax. :(

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
is there a way for the tonnauve to have a quick realese from the frame of the bed? Its kinda of silly to have a tunnauve that doesn't release easily and its not water leak proof. or @ least to have one person remove the tunnauve without using tools?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the pic's. In general the over all apperance looks good, but from what I've read here and else where the features and functions seem to leave alot to be desired. The 64 T $ ? , any body know who makes this tonneau cover for the Ridge?? and could the negative feedback on it lead to a updated more user friendly version ??? Hope so "Only the best for the innovative Ridge"
rfs830 said:
well to me from the way it looks it just like taking out screws and then just putting them back in. Hard to tell. May need to see if anyone has the already.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Truckin,

I have the cover installed on my RT, the key is no problem, only concern I have is laying something heavy on the latch when its folded, may cause damage to either the latch, or the item layed on it.

The leak, well yes it is not water proof, I picked mine up on a day with rain and snow all day. When I parked that night, the cover was covered with wet snow, in the morning I checked how much water had come in. I could wipe it all up with 1 Kleenex. the only place it allowed any water in, was at the point where it folds, which is sealed across the width, but has a little gap along either edge.

Truckin' said:
There is one installed on the RTL on the showroom floor where we bought our Ridgeline. I'm glad we got to see it in person because we are not impressed.

Yes, it locks the tailgate but it looks like an insubstantial lock to me. It did not work easily with the key. Part of that is because it is a demo model and people aren't especially careful with items they don't own. I want to see durability and there was a definite lack thereof in the locking mechanism.

It is not water tight. What's the point? You have to keep everything in the bed in watertight containers?

The rigid half fold left a deep cavern that you'd have to crawl up into the bed to access anything you are hauling around.

It would take a strong person to get it out of the bed after unbolting it. Someone has posted that once it's out it's a storage problem because the edges compress from the weight. Do you have a place to store it flat? I know we don't.

I'm waiting for the roll top models to hit the market. That should be in a couple of weeks, according to Retrax. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
The advantages of the Hard Tonneau cover for me are gas mileage (2-3mpg increase since installation) because i do a lot of commuting, and the added security of a locking tailgate to hinder tail light theives, etc.

However, while it is also convenient for hauling most cargo, I always knew that extremely bulky cargo or items that must stand upright would require me to remove the cover.

I had to pick up an elyptical machine from Sears that I suspected would come in a rather large box. It did not need to stand upright, but at 3'x2'x7' it would not fit under the tonneau cover. Luckily, I always carry 10mm socket in the truck in case I have to take off the cover. It only took a couple minutes, but I had to crawl up under there to unbolt and once it was off, it is was very heavy and unweildy.

For the most part, you can count it as part of cargo and store it upright next to whatever you're haulling. You must be careful of the metal tabs that stick out from the cover as they can scratch/damage your bed liner or cargo. I think a quick release scenario would be a huge improvement, and it also helps to have rehearsed the removal a couple times in case you end up having to do it in the field.

Oh, and getting it back on is a pain, too. You have to apply the 80/20 rule to decide if it's a good thing to have. For the most part, I'm glad I have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts