Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
to be able to open those doors 90 degrees and not have huge cup holders on the interior door panels partially blocking the opening.
The shrinkage of the opening mostly occurs in the upper portion, above the door trim, so even those being smaller wouldn't help a lot and opening the door wider has already been proven to not make much of a difference. The pivot point of the hinge doesn't move the interior face of the door to provide a wider opening even if the door is opened further..

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,473 Posts
The shrinkage of the opening mostly occurs in the upper portion, above the door trim, so even those being smaller wouldn't help a lot and opening the door wider has already been proven to not make much of a difference. The pivot point of the hinge doesn't move the interior face of the door to provide a wider opening even if the door is opened further..
Since I don't own one I'm not certain about this, but it looks like swinging the door open a little wider could help get things in and out of the back seat.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm not defending Honda as I am affected by the door limits probably more than most owners here. I weekly load computers, baggage, cases, coolers, etc into the back seat for racing. I don't like the new design either; I just don't think there is an answer in the door check/hinges. I suppose having the latch end of the door move a little more out of the way would help maneuvering into position, but it wouldn't help getting the bulkier items actually into the rear seat. That is hampered by the rearward design of the opening.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
That map represents current, post-merger SiriusXM coverage. ... Perhaps the XM-only receivers in the older Ridgelines limited coverage.
I found a XM Radio only coverage map. Now I'm sad again that Honda did not give Canadians XM Radio in their RLs until 2009, when Honda moved production out of Canada. Was that Honda's way of saying sorry? :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
ROC family, I have a new ask. If you have a 2006 with either front or rear leather seats that are in good condition, I think it would be great to have a picture of the two-tone leather upholstery for the Ridgeline article. Is anyone "game?" Before you say yes, there's a process you will have to go through in order to contribute your picture(s) to Wikipedia; so if you're willing to do that then please let me know. You can review the contribution process here: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...lery/159786-g2-pics-needed-2.html#post2356681

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
So, just before Christmas I was contacted by an automotive generalist from Jalopnik by the name of David asking to interview me about our Wikipedia article on the Ridgeline. He said, "Lots of people are in awe of your work." and "My aim would be to just show readers the ridiculously detailed Ridgeline Wiki page, and give some insight into the person who was passionate (read: nerdy) enough to make it all happen." I don't know if this person is really the David he claims to be; as they say, "trust is earned not given." Does this sound legitimate to all of you?

·
Administrator
19,035 Posts
So, just before Christmas I was contacted from an automotive generalist from Jalopnik by the name of David asking to interview me about our Wikipedia article on the Ridgeline. He said, "Lots of people are in awe or your work." and "My aim would be to just show readers the ridiculously detailed Ridgeline Wiki page, and give some insight into the person who was passionate (read: nerdy) enough to make it all happen." I don't know if this person is really the David he claims to be; as they say, "trust is earned not given." Does this sound legitimate to all of you?
As a part-time automotive journalist myself, I can tell you that these types of sites are filled with writers ranging from imbeciles to amateurs who scrape the bottoms of barrels for content to publish so they they can earn a paycheck based on the number of clicks their articles receive and to ensure they regularly receive free press loaners from the manufacturers. Content is often regurgitated from manufacturer press releases or reworded from other sources. Opinions are frequently expressed inappropriately by writers who aren't vetted. I wouldn't give out my address, SS#, or DOB, but I don't see anything wrong with helping the guy make some money in exchange for a little recognition. :) I'd do it, but I've taken a hiatus from writing until after the holidays and things slow down at work.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So, just before Christmas I was contacted from an automotive generalist from Jalopnik by the name of David asking to interview me about our Wikipedia article on the Ridgeline. He said, "Lots of people are in awe or your work." and "My aim would be to just show readers the ridiculously detailed Ridgeline Wiki page, and give some insight into the person who was passionate (read: nerdy) enough to make it all happen." I don't know if this person is really the David he claims to be; as they say, "trust is earned not given." Does this sound legitimate to all of you?
That place is kind of terrible. I do read some of the stuff there but there's a pretty solid percent of meh to the good. They used to be good, then they got worse, then they got terrible, then they got sold and they haven't really recovered.

The truck sub segment of Jalopnik is called Truck Yeah and pretty well any Ridgeline thread becomes a bash thread for the resident trolls. They have 2 levels of membership where the "grey" posters can't be seen unless you go through a couple steps to OK the view, and black who can post in the clear but the Ridge bashers are very much in force.

The posts they've put on the Ridge have been positive for sure; they just get flooded with negative comments to the point where it becomes why bother.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I think I figured-out why this journalist from Jalopnik reached-out to me. I cited one of his articles in our Wikipedia write-up: https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks-dont-need-frames-1785674405 He probably got some press from it and wants to get more. I'll let you all know what happens.

Thank you all for your help and support.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Carsmak came through once again! I felt I needed a picture of the Gen1's two-tone upholstery, which his Ridgeline has, and he went above and beyond to get me a picture and released it to Wikipedia. As you can imagine, a 2006 Ridgeline would have a lot of wear and tear, particularly on cloth seats. Carsmak took the time to clean-up his upholstery and took a good picture of the two-tone design used on the early Ridgeline for the Wikipedia article. Thanks @Carsmak, "you're the man!"

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,513 Posts
NBD, just needed to clean it up anyway.

Considering these are 12.5 years old, they look good as long as you focus on the lightly used passengers side.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
So, just before Christmas I was contacted from an automotive generalist from Jalopnik by the name of David asking to interview me about our Wikipedia article on the Ridgeline. He said, "Lots of people are in awe of your work." and "My aim would be to just show readers the ridiculously detailed Ridgeline Wiki page, and give some insight into the person who was passionate (read: nerdy) enough to make it all happen." I don't know if this person is really the David he claims to be; as they say, "trust is earned not given." Does this sound legitimate to all of you?
As a part-time automotive journalist myself, I can tell you that these types of sites are filled with writers ranging from imbeciles to amateurs who scrape the bottoms of barrels for content to publish so they they can earn a paycheck based on the number of clicks their articles receive and to ensure they regularly receive free press loaners from the manufacturers. Content is often regurgitated from manufacturer press releases or reworded from other sources. Opinions are frequently expressed inappropriately by writers who aren't vetted. I wouldn't give out my address, SS#, or DOB, but I don't see anything wrong with helping the guy make some money in exchange for a little recognition. :) I'd do it, but I've taken a hiatus from writing until after the holidays and things slow down at work.
... The truck sub segment of Jalopnik is called Truck Yeah and pretty well any Ridgeline thread becomes a bash thread for the resident trolls. They have 2 levels of membership where the "grey" posters can't be seen unless you go through a couple steps to OK the view, and black who can post in the clear but the Ridge bashers are very much in force.

The posts they've put on the Ridge have been positive for sure; they just get flooded with negative comments to the point where it becomes why bother.
I think I figured-out why this journalist from Jalopnik reached-out to me. I cited one of his articles in our Wikipedia write-up: https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks-dont-need-frames-1785674405 ... I'll let you all know what happens.

So I talked to the journalist from Jalopnik over a week ago; I even sent him some follow-up emails clarifying some things. I don't know if he's going to write something about our work on the Wiki or not (we're probably too boring). Have any of you seen anything suggesting he has commented on our article?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
225 citations -- that's some serious research
Thanks! :nerd:

To be "nerdy" for a moment, as David from Jalopnik describes me, only 200 or so citations are related to the Ridgeline; the others are there to support the comparisons and the other gear pictured in the article. Still, having close to 200 citations is a lot compared to the typical Wikipedia article, or is it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_symbolism_in_the_United_States_military? Sometimes the best articles are those that have the most evidence to back-up their information, sometimes.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think I figured-out why this journalist from Jalopnik reached-out to me. I cited one of his articles in our Wikipedia write-up: https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks-dont-need-frames-1785674405 He probably got some press from it and wants to get more. I'll let you all know what happens.

OK it's up. Another thread is started on this but here's a link too.

https://jalopnik.com/the-story-behind-the-honda-ridgelines-wildly-unusually-1821813634

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,238 Posts
I thought that article was very complimentary of you McChizzle. Well done!

Reactions: McChizzle
181 - 200 of 329 Posts