Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
We were in the process of finalizing a deal on a used (135K) Ridgeline RTL when we crawled underneath to investigate rust "bubbles" on the outside of the rocker panels behind the rear doors. Looking underneath on the driver's side, it looks really bad - to the extent I don't think we should proceed with the deal. Dealer is saying this is "just the rocker panels" and not impacting the frame. That said, it looks to me like there are rear suspension pieces attached to this area. Is this normal for the older RL's in the Northeast?

ridge_3.jpg

ridge_2.jpg

ridge_1.jpg

Sorry to jump right in, folks! My name is Doug and I've been hanging around the boards for a few weeks but finally (well, almost) decided to take the leap on a 2006 RTL. The rust shown above is on an '06 that has a solid service record otherwise. With 135K miles in PA weather, I certainly didn't expect a cream puff, but I get really nervous when the outside looks like the pics I posted above. I just don't see this poor little RL coming back from this type of rust. Any thoughts? Is this part of the actual frame on the RL or "just the rocker panel" as the dealer has stated?

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
I live in the North East and the 8.5 years I have owned mine and put on 221K miles, I have no rust like this. Actually I have no rust underneath my truck, except for few bolts (like the side steps). If it was me, I would not buy this truck.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
It's a UniBody Vehicle, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole, Run don't walk away from this thing. It they gave me $1500, I'd tow it to the scrap yard, for a few more $$$

Reactions: oarnold

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that answers that :). I guess we knew we should be walking away but needed a little nudge (well, kick maybe) from the experts on here to be certain. We do like the versatility/functionality of the RL, so we'll keep looking. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of used ones to choose from around here.

Hopefully I'll be back on here again, but with a bit cleaner RL next time.

Thanks again, folks!!

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
Well, that answers that :). I guess we knew we should be walking away but needed a little nudge (well, kick maybe) from the experts on here to be certain. We do like the versatility/functionality of the RL, so we'll keep looking. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of used ones to choose from around here.

Thanks again, folks!!
And Where is that? Southern and Western Ridgeline's do better, what's your budget?

Registered
Like said, RUN!!!

Registered
Good on you for running...pos...and do not return tothat dealer ever.
Rust is the worst, i learned my lesson, there is no stopping it unless you can replace antire panel or part. Same with accidentdamage..just slower ..maybe the issue here...

Registered
Just the rocker panels? As a frequent viewer of the Velocity Channel...RUN.

Premium Member
Just the rocker panels? As a frequent viewer of the Velocity Channel...RUN.
Velocity Channel: Oh that's just some surface rust and rocker panels.
Me: RUN!

2006 with that much rust is bound for the crusher. That vehicle may have a solid service record according to the dealer and it's drive train standards, but it was never properly North East maintained. Doesn't look like road salt was ever washed from that chassis. The owner only did what they needed to maintain a "good service record", I.E. fluids, suspension and brakes = + resale, within 4-5 years. 10 years plus, chassis gone!

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue

Thanks again, folks!!
Look for G1s south of Virgina, if you could and a bit more inland. Take your time and dont rush. Sometimes sales come up here on ROC as well.

Super Moderator
In PA we get PennDot putting down salt treated with liquid calcium chloride and it eats cars. This one is guaranteed to finish dissolving this winter if we get what is a bad winter coming our way.

Steve

Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
In PA we get PennDot putting down salt treated with liquid calcium chloride and it eats cars. This one is guaranteed to finish dissolving this winter if we get what is a bad winter coming our way.

Steve
This. I spray the under side of my truck at least twice per week in the winter before it goes into my garage to try to combat this terrible crap eating it. Although some rust is now showing in some spots, my diligence has seemed to pay off as the rust doesn't seem to be all that bad for a 13 year old vehicle. I think PennDOT is in cahoots with the auto industry as it seems that the road treatment chemicals almost guarantee a new vehicle to be purchased twice as quickly as in other parts of the country.

Registered
I have an 08 Ridge purchased in May of 2008 new, with 300,059 on it and just developing some rust on the tailgate and rear tire well areas. Live in Michigan and the truck never has been parked inside. I can see an 06 having more rust on it...but would run from it also.

Registered
Someone under the influence attempted to drive to England from Philly and ruined that RL. Stick a fork in it and head down to my neighborhood (Phoenix) and we鈥檒l go shopping. I just bought a used 2012 and looked at several other Gen 1鈥檚 that were worth investing in.

Registered
I am the second owner of a 2007 with 140k VT miles. I am adamant about cleaning, polishing my vehicles. the door jams on my Ridgeline are shiny as new, yet my rocker panels and behind the rear doors look just like this one above..... ...I think Honda had a quality control issue. 1 out of hundred or so Ridgelines i see is horribly rusted. Some way there is a poor weld allowing water and salt to fill the panel..
Honda should've done a recall..like TOYOTA does with their poor frames, Chevy does with their body panels etc
.This is defiantly a quality control issue.

I'm going to wrap my panels with fiberglass cloth and fill the gaps with black expandable foam and drive it another 140k Nothing else under the truck is any where near as rusted.

Registered
My 2006 was getting very rusted (189000 mi). Rear doors and quarter panels, tailgate and all around the rubber seals on the drivers side rear door as well (weird). I would have driven it until she would no longer go if it was not for this. She was a ticking time bomb. At least I got a decent trade in for her on my '19 ($3500).

Registered
My 2008 (2004k) has been in Virginia it's whole life and has very little corrosion. From your pictures it looks like the holes for the frame plugs have rusted out completely. As others have said, run run run!

Super Moderator
That looks like something even Eric O on the South Main Auto channel would refuse to work on. He has a shop in NY.

Reactions: GhostYK1
1 - 19 of 19 Posts