Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '06 Ridgeline started flashing the D on the dash and when I scanned it with my ELM ODBII scanner and Torque Pro, it returned code P0847: Transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch "B" Circuit Low.

I'm pretty handy and prefer to do my own repairs whenever possible and from what I've seen on this and other sites, this should be a relatively easy fix. BUT, the problem I'm having is in figuring out exactly which sensor/switch needs to be replaced.

Some references I've found for P0847 say: Short in 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Stuck ON

In this diagram provided by user vegajf from the repair manual, seen here: http://s651.photobucket.com/user/vegajf/media/Capture.png.html)
I see references to a 3rd Clutch transmissions fluid pressure switch AND an A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve B. Question is, which one is it? My best guess would be the former, but I'd rather not guess.

Also, does anyone have specific diagrams/instructions for changing whichever switch it turns out to be? The diagram above accompanied instructions on changing the 4th clutch transmission fluid pressure valve (http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-41312.html), so I'd assume they'd be very similar, although their locations are different, so maybe there's something more to be aware of?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Funny I had the same error code on my RDX just the other day! I would do a search on youtube and there's one for a TL on how to replace both the 3rd and 4th senors. I'm at work so I can't access youtube. I brought mine to my buddy garage and swap out both the sensor. both senor will run you $50 each depending on which dealer you get it from.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
simply a data point.

Back in 20066, 2007 I had the occasion where I would see the flashing D light. Never bothered to get the code pulled.

Long story short, never got it looked at, still on the original tranny & running tight 330,000 + miles later.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hey Guys,

My RL has joined this illustrious club at 128,769 miles this morning.

Looks like the prevailing thought is to re-start to see if the flashing D reoccurs. Anything else to be aware of? :act060:

TIA :act035:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pull ECM fuse out and disconnect battery cables overnight. This should reset all data stored in ECM and then see what happens. I can't tell from here if it has another TCM module fuse, but if it does, you may want to pull that out too.
If I do not forget, I'll look it up in Aldata tonight. They should have detailed repair instructions.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Last summer my wifes Pilot started doing something similar. Lots of googling led me to several sites that discussed it and the solution. In its case it was the S3 (or S4) oil pressure switch, located externally on the tranny. It was suggested that both be replaced.

I purchased both, plus crush washers and shipping, for about $100 online. About 30 min. later and problem resolved.

The most difficult part in this repair was determining which switch was which; even the part numbers were unclear which was which. There was something diff however - colors, but I don't remember the specifics. Whatever it was it was subtle.

Hopefully you'll find a similar thread and have a cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Okay, code is P0848, 3rd pressure switch is bad.

BUT, the flashing 'D' has not repeated since that alarming day....:act035:

Mileage is at 128,864.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Clear the code and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
has not repeated since that alarming day....

my wife didn't report this problem to me until the third time she observed it.
My guess is that it'll return so go ahead and order the parts now!

Note: this alarm did not present a noticeable problem in daily driving; however after driving it (AND after the fix) she questioned whether the cruise control was as smooth as before the fix?

Subsequent to that initial repair she's not questioned the CC function nor has the event reoccurred.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 with 82k + miles with a 3rd clutch pressure switch failure. About how much should that cost to have a honda dealer replace it? Estimate would work.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
I don't have access to the dealer replacement times. But it doesn't look difficult.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A year ago I was traveling, hours from home when this stricken with this malady. A Maryland dealership charged me $218, including tax and it took only a couple of hours. I had to call several shops to find one with the switch in stock - not everyone had it.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I had this happen to me a few months ago for the first time ever while on a trip. The "D" flashed, but I got no other warning indicators. I pulled over, shut the truck off and checked the fluid to see that it was showing a bit low. Started the truck again, flashing went away, drove for another few miles and it came back. Pulled over, turned it off for a minute, started back up, went away and I drove 80 miles home without it showing up again. When I got back to my garage, I did a tranny fluid drain and fill and made sure the level was just below the top mark on the stick. Haven't had a single issue since then. Even if the pressure switch was bad, it's a very simple fix as long as you have dexterous hands and fingers. Access isn't bad, but it is a little tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0847 code just popped up this morning with 37,500 miles on our 2010 Ridgeline.

With so few miles, I would think this should be covered under warranty but it is technically out of warranty...
Any suggestions: bring it to the dealer, leave it alone, repair on my own?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Don't forget you have a 5/60k mile powertrain warranty. That may well be covered. IAC, you may be able to replace the pressure switch yourself if it's not covered and you are so inclined. See above for details.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
P0847 code just popped up this morning with 37,500 miles on our 2010 Ridgeline.

With so few miles, I would think this should be covered under warranty but it is technically out of warranty...
Any suggestions: bring it to the dealer, leave it alone, repair on my own?
Thanks
Even if you're past the time allotted for the warranty, I would think the dealership at which you bought your truck would do a goodwill fix on it with so few miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts