Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Time to Get Started With RIDGELINE FUN. Today just measuring clearances around the brakes. I really didn't believe it had only 12.6 inch front brakes, same size as a 2005 Miata, and smaller than most our faster Miatas that weigh half what the Ridgeline does. Indeed it really is just 12.6 inches.

But along the way always curious to learn details like...how much does the stock wheel and tire package weigh?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,122 Posts
Just FYI,
2020 Midsize front brake rotor diameters:
Tacoma 10.8"
Ranger 12.2"
Canyon/Colorado 12.2"

I am running MDX front rotors and calipers on my GenI. Rotors are 13.0" diameter. Installed: MDX front brakes with EBC pads and rotors all...
Smufguy has aftermarket multi-piston calipers with matching rotors on his GenI but I don't know the dimensions.

In off-roading circles 17" and even 16" wheels are common for the mid sizers. For the truck market, rotor diameters seems to top out around where the Ridgeline is. I haven't really played around with the measurements but I would speculate that this size limit is a function of braking needs, caliper design and wheel diameter / offset specs.

If you are doing something one off just for your own vehicle then clearly you only need to worry about what will fit your chosen wheel package. If you are doing something to offer the Ridgeline community it probably should fit the stock wheel setup. Also from what I understand the GenI / GenII front brake assembly is cross compatible so perhaps that is even more food for thought if you come up with something to offer up to sell to the community.

Looking forward to a well sorted reasonably priced brake upgrade option :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Brian, welcome! Glad to see you here. As a 2020 MX 5 GT owner I've followed your shop on the forums. I think a a big break kit for the Ridgeline would sell!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Just FYI,
2020 Midsize front brake rotor diameters:
Tacoma 10.8"
Ranger 12.2"
Canyon/Colorado 12.2"

I am running MDX front rotors and calipers on my GenI. Rotors are 13.0" diameter. Installed: MDX front brakes with EBC pads and rotors all...
Smufguy has aftermarket multi-piston calipers with matching rotors on his GenI but I don't know the dimensions.

In off-roading circles 17" and even 16" wheels are common for the mid sizers. For the truck market, rotor diameters seems to top out around where the Ridgeline is. I haven't really played around with the measurements but I would speculate that this size limit is a function of braking needs, caliper design and wheel diameter / offset specs.

If you are doing something one off just for your own vehicle then clearly you only need to worry about what will fit your chosen wheel package. If you are doing something to offer the Ridgeline community it probably should fit the stock wheel setup. Also from what I understand the GenI / GenII front brake assembly is cross compatible so perhaps that is even more food for thought if you come up with something to offer up to sell to the community.

Looking forward to a well sorted reasonably priced brake upgrade option :)
Indeed I don't think Ridgeline unique in having mediocre brakes in the truck segment, nor is the issue unique to midsize trucks. My neighbor has an F150 with the twin turbo 3.5 liter, it's a rocket of a truck on the 0-60 and yet the stock brakes are pathetic, we split the drive on mountain snowboard days with me doing the drive home and every time we are coming down the mountain after a long day snowboarding I am reminded how much I hate the crap brakes on the F150. Nonetheless, Honda did such a good job on making the Ridgeline handle better than most trucks except for the brakes that I am surprised it didn't get more attention in the 2020 updates given that pretty much every great magazine review has long noted the stock Ridgeline's brake performance as one of their only reservations, Car and Driver's note being typical: 'Its braking distance from 70 mph to zero is on the long side, and we thought the brake pedal felt soft and had too much travel during normal use. ' I agree 100% with Car and Driver and I also think that a truck that handles as well as the Ridgeline deserves better, so at least mine is getting real good brakes, and we will make it fit in stock wheels. If enough of you like what you see us do, perhaps we make it a kit we offer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If enough of you like what you see us do, perhaps we make it a kit we offer.
Ooooh! I'd be up for some better brakes.

As a bit of a track junkie myself (back in my skinner, faster days), I know and appreciate the importance of great brakes. Especially coming down the hill off the back straight at Road Atlanta....I only went into the kitty litter once. Slowing from 150mph is not as easy as it sounds. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First Road trip and Camping Trip for our new Ridgeline starts 4am tomorrow! What better way to get the break in miles done than a road trip? Got over 500 miles to do tomorrow...BEFORE LUNCH. :cool:

Already love the trunk, ALL our camping gear went in the trunk. This picture is before I added the second sleeping bag, tent is already under the first sleeping bag, plus air mattress and some tripods and everything else needed ended up going in the trunk. Love that feature!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Can Ryan measure the stock brake lines as well? Another $ idea for you, make a SS brake line kit. That with the new calipers would be a great combo meal. As long as the brake pads you end up using are common, I’m in.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts