Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Racking up the miles fast on this trip, really enjoying the versatility and particularly that locking trunk for camping and camera gear as we park it all sort of places in the mountains and along the coastline during this trip.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,908 Posts
@Brian Goodwin at GWR , you can have him reach out to Erik, as I corresponded with him just about 2 years back. The G1 front kit from StopTech is 98-437-2680-02 using a 380x32 rotor and a ST60 caliper. This was the kit that they had installed in the Holmatro Safety Truck, tucked under some TSWs. Erik did mention that no additional testing was done on the g1 and the kit, as it was designed for the Safety truck and its added payload and equipment. The price was astronomical for the front and rear set, and required a minimum of 19" wheels to fit.

The G1 kit I have from Rotora (front and back) was around $3700 shipped to NJ. Though it was not a competition package, and just a hard anodized black finish, it was much cheaper than StopTech's. The Rotora kit, for the G1 front, is a RFK.215.04 and uses a 355x32 with a 6pot caliper. This package fits under a 18" wheel and also fits under a 2008 Acura MDX 18" wheels (42700STXA01) with allowed spoke to caliper clearance.

The StopTech ST60 caliper was wider by 1.75mm (Hat surface to the outside surface of caliper) compared to the 6-piston Rotora caliper. Wilwood Superlight calipers have a narrow frame, if spoke clearance and wheel offset are a concern.

Given the spoke design and the offset of the OEM wheels, it will be very hard to clear the stock wheels.
In my G1, the maximum rotor height is 52mm, before the rotor starts to contact the lower control arm during turns (when the steering hub angle changes). I am not sure what the give is with the G2. The physical front rotor dimensions on the G1 and the G2 are exact, with some changes to the actual rotor hat (in the G2) having some staggered profile and the rotor itself is a two piece cast.

I would really like to see you guys develop a kit using the G1 as a stepping stool. The only challenge is the rear with the rotor hat, but with enough resources (like yourself) it is easy. Luckily the G2 still uses drums withing the rotor hat for parking brake, unlike others who use electric actuators for parking brake.

I also did a small write up about my experience in a thread dedicated to the Rotora brake setup. The stopping power is tremendous and though I do not track the truck, the sense of comfort that you have because you can stop when you want is something I cannot trade up.

@eurban , I am working on it, I promise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
@Brian Goodwin at GWR , you can have him reach out to Erik, as I corresponded with him just about 2 years back. The G1 front kit from StopTech is 98-437-2680-02 using a 380x32 rotor and a ST60 caliper. This was the kit that they had installed in the Holmatro Safety Truck, tucked under some TSWs. Erik did mention that no additional testing was done on the g1 and the kit, as it was designed for the Safety truck and its added payload and equipment. The price was astronomical for the front and rear set, and required a minimum of 19" wheels to fit.

The G1 kit I have from Rotora (front and back) was around $3700 shipped to NJ. Though it was not a competition package, and just a hard anodized black finish, it was much cheaper than StopTech's. The Rotora kit, for the G1 front, is a RFK.215.04 and uses a 355x32 with a 6pot caliper. This package fits under a 18" wheel and also fits under a 2008 Acura MDX 18" wheels (42700STXA01) with allowed spoke to caliper clearance.

The StopTech ST60 caliper was wider by 1.75mm (Hat surface to the outside surface of caliper) compared to the 6-piston Rotora caliper. Wilwood Superlight calipers have a narrow frame, if spoke clearance and wheel offset are a concern.

Given the spoke design and the offset of the OEM wheels, it will be very hard to clear the stock wheels.
In my G1, the maximum rotor height is 52mm, before the rotor starts to contact the lower control arm during turns (when the steering hub angle changes). I am not sure what the give is with the G2. The physical front rotor dimensions on the G1 and the G2 are exact, with some changes to the actual rotor hat (in the G2) having some staggered profile and the rotor itself is a two piece cast.

I would really like to see you guys develop a kit using the G1 as a stepping stool. The only challenge is the rear with the rotor hat, but with enough resources (like yourself) it is easy. Luckily the G2 still uses drums withing the rotor hat for parking brake, unlike others who use electric actuators for parking brake.

I also did a small write up about my experience in a thread dedicated to the Rotora brake setup. The stopping power is tremendous and though I do not track the truck, the sense of comfort that you have because you can stop when you want is something I cannot trade up.

@eurban , I am working on it, I promise.
Awesome info Smufguy, big thanks for your help!

Using search function I quickly find you are the resident guru on the Ridgeline brakes and the available swaps of stock Acura/Honda bits too. If I read your other threads accurately, looks like biggest factory rotor is 330mm used on such vehicles as MDX? My first thought was do our own custom 14 inch rotor rotor and narrow 6 piston caliper. But a much lower cost strategy we might try first is largest factory 1 piece rotors and then custom bracket our choice of super narrow 6 piston wilwood and see if we can get that combo inside stock wheels and if that makes us happy on stopping power, thermal capacity, and upgrade in feel. Knowing my usual hunger for better stopping power that might prove just a first step, but it also might be attractive to many in terms of cost/benefit.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,908 Posts
The older generation pilot and MDX used 330mm rotors that were the same, however, the MDX used larger caliper pistons. For this the caliper and the caliper bracket needed to be swapped out.
They are still 28mm wide rotors, so finding an aftermarket axial mount caliper to support that would be challenging. As you mentioned, a custom bracket would be needed and this would mean that the axial caliper itself needs to be clocked from the 90deg leading position, to a 60 or 45deg leading, so the caliper mounting eyelets can adequately clear the hub.

The only direct bolt on caliper I have found, that uses stock 28mm thick rotor, is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec (axial mount) one. They use monster caliper pistons of the same size. Some minor add ons and a gentle filing on the caliper mounting ears are required, but they essentially just bolt on. Problem is, they wont clear the OEM G2 wheels, or OEM Odyssey wheels (+50mm offset) either. I can confirm that they do clear my Velox Apex wheels (+40mm) and the OEM Acura MDX Tech wheels (+45mm).
I am currently in the process of putting together a complete list of this package including the lines, bolts, etc etc as I think the R-Spec calipers are strong enough for daily use.

The older generation Acura RL (Gen 2, '04-'12) Advics c4-pot calipers (radial mount and monster caliper pistons) would be the easiest (not cheap) has been a popular caliper of choice for many Honda entusiasts from Accord to Ridgeline and everything in between. HeelToe was also selling brackets, at one point (not sure now) for various models using that caliper.

What I also know is that the 7th & 8th Generation Nissan Maxima uses a 140mm mount hole (center to center) on the front caliper, like our G1 & G2. In stock form, they use a 320x28mm brake rotor (same overall diameter and thickness as the stock G1 & G2).
However, the Akebono 4pot calipers that came on the Infiniti G37s, also have a 140mm mount hole (center to center). Which means, it will bolt up to the G1 & G2 hubs. Trick is the brake rotor. The OEM Infiniti rotor (mated to the Akebono caliper) was a 355x32mm size. Hower the rotors themselves do not bolt up due to difference in hub register, bolt pattern and rotor height

These Akebono calipers were also axial mount, which means finding the rotor that can adequately clear the steering/suspension components and still have the correct height to center on the caliper is tricky and hard to find. Using a two piece rotor would give the flexibility of various hats could guarantee proper fitment.

I am sure the ATS/Corvette calipers can be adapted as they are 4pot Brembos with a 128mm mount hole (center to center) and dirt cheap to get. They also came fitted to a 320x30mm brake rotor with a brake hub register of 70.7mm, but a 5x115mm bolt pattern with a stud size of 14.2mm.
Oh yeah, our G1/G2 use a stud size (hole dia) of 14.6mm

There are many large rotors with a 5x120mm bolt pattern than can be purchased for good deal of price. I have purchased Centric blank rotors for a GTO at $31 each (CarID.com) to do some of my testing. So we need not stick with our Honda/Acura OEM size rotors if price is a concern.

To wrap this post up, I think finding a radial mount caliper to work with various rotors and using a custom bracket to marry them together, would give us the flexibility and choice as folks can buy off the shelf rotors, but the only thing they need to go to 'a person' is for that caliper bracket and caliper (unless they want to buy it from another dealer).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Heavy dew overnight meant the Ridgeline we left very dirty from the 1200+ mile road trip last week was primed for a good washing before the Sun got on it. I believe we really don't know what a vehicle looks like until we get our soapy mitts over all the surface features to help our eyes see details that might not be obvious. Appreciate even more that this truck is so much more aerodynamically clean than typical boxy design trucks.

I do have a rattle in the backseat behind the driver, suspect the flimsy covers over the baby seat mounts around the headrest area. Perhaps somebody else has had similar?

This picture also well documents how narrow my driveway is, the Ridgeline is edge to edge and the driveway continues down behind the Ridgeline to my garage another 20+ yards back. Had a few big towing buddies tease me for not getting a full size truck, but it was never an option as the Ridgeline itself barely fits back and forth.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,813 Posts
I do have a rattle in the backseat behind the driver, suspect the flimsy covers over the baby seat mounts around the headrest area. Perhaps somebody else has had similar?
Check to make sure the (unbuckled) male seatbelt tab isn't contacting the C-pillar. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
With our new Ridgeline truck I been loading everything from a stack of roofing shingles (tested the load limit) to lots of wheels and tires and today the first Costco run. This Ridgeline party trick of having the tailgate lay flat like a traditional truck or swing out has already made my list of 5 best features. I didn't realize how tired I was of reaching way over a laid down tailgate to get boxes and wheels/tires, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy am I surprised to see Brian here. I'm so glad though as we might get a real fix for the breaks now.

RS2 and Max Power owner.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts