Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Thanks for your thoughts folks. That polished lip Lusso is just too heavy at 30 pounds each for my tastes. Enkei doesn't make that RSF5 in the 20 inch fitment we want to do here. They do have that split 5 spoke look in the fitment we need in SS05 and the Victory. I like those, but in the end a bit thin spoked for a truck in my eyes and yet actually more weight than the XM6 we are looking at. Nonetheless, great looking Enkei designs and all three would certainly look great on the Ridgeline:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts folks. That polished lip Lusso is just too heavy at 30 pounds each for my tastes. Enkei doesn't make that RSF5 in the 20 inch fitment we want to do here. They do have that split 5 spoke look in the fitment we need in SS05 and the Victory. I like those, but in the end a bit thin spoked for a truck in my eyes and yet actually more weight than the XM6 we are looking at. Nonetheless, great looking Enkei designs:

Given your automotive experience, are you looking at how the wheels are manufactured for strength? I tend to be leery with aftermarket wheels given that they don’t always have the same strength characteristics. It doesn’t sound like you will be overloading the Ridgeline, but towing adds stress to wheels. My father has now had hairline fractures in two aftermarket wheels. We’re talking a 3/4 truck with an 8 foot bed filled with wood or gravel towing a 10,000 pound trailer... but still.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Given your automotive experience, are you looking at how the wheels are manufactured for strength? I tend to be leery with aftermarket wheels given that they don’t always have the same strength characteristics. It doesn’t sound like you will be overloading the Ridgeline, but towing adds stress to wheels. My father has now had hairline fractures in two aftermarket wheels. We’re talking a 3/4 truck with an 8 foot bed filled with wood or gravel towing a 10,000 pound trailer... but still.
Yes, first thing I did was ask Enkei for the load ratings on the wheels we are looking at because that data is not posted anywhere that I could find. And I must add that we are not talking some random aftermarket wheel company, guess who makes those cool new HPD bronze colored wheels for the 2021 Honda HPD edition? Answer: Enkei. Before anyone asks, the aftermarket side of Enkei cannot get us that wheel, contract makes that one exclusive to Honda (I did already ask). Enkei makes most of their money on OEM production, the wheels that are on most new Japanese cars, the aftermarket division of the company is quite literally the smaller part of the company and must calendar production around the needs of the much larger OEM production division. Most every Japanese car I have owned came on wheels made by Enkei.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,415 Posts
I really like the YX-5 as it reminds me of the G3 TL-S wheels. The YX-5 in the 20x8.5 +40mm version, seems to be rated at 1852lbs for its weight loading. A G2 (RTL-E) min loading is 1609.50lbs. So I think you are safe, as you had confirmed with Enkei directly.

However, can they clear your 6-piston calipers?

Correction on your post #56, the G2 uses a 2-piston front caliper from factory, like the G1. However the G2 uses a 47.5mm piston, while the G1 uses a 44mm. The rears are single. Are you guys planning on running that on an OEM size rotor? (assuming as you mentioned it being behind the G2 factory wheel).
I am also curious if you guys are going to determine the Burtman industries' lowering spring spring rate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Making the 6 piston setup to clear stock 18x8 wheel, so we expect clearance to the bigger Enkei 20 inch wheels won't be a challenge. Starting with caliper conversion, so that's starting with custom brackets and fitting our choice of 6 piston caliper to stock rotors to get a lot better feel than the factory 2 piston slider can give. Later will hope to finish the 14 inch two-piece rotor setup we have drawn up. We have all the CNC equipment we need here to do it, but our bread and butter is Miata stuff so that means the Ridgeline is mere passion project for me currently as time permits. Picture is some brackets we made for one of our Miata race cars:

We are NOT using a Stoptech caliper on the Ridgeline because they really don't have an appropriate choice, just pics to show what we can do.

Don't have the equipment here to measure spring rates, and must admit I care more about how they drive. If we were talking the Miatas we normally race then I have opinions about how much spring rate is needed for particular wheel/tire package to be fast around the track, etc.. But not going to race a Ridgeline, if the springs do the job (and all reviews seem to suggest high levels of customer happiness), that's enough for me on the springs.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,415 Posts
That trophy caliper is a thing of beauty. Its funny I still drool over these, though I got a kit of my own. The color is just spectacular.

Man I got a lot of questions for you now :) :) :)

What type of spec on the rotor do you guys plan to run? Stock size (dia and thinkness?)
What caliper brand have you guys partnered with? Wilwood or someone local?
Any thoughts on the rears?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That's all we can say at this time, more than one caliper we are testing. No plans for rear at this time, just starting with that front caliper.

Thanks to DAMOFO in another thread for posting pic of back of the new for 2021 HPD package wheel. I had been told by our friends at Enkei that they make this wheel for Honda and that offset is 10mm more aggressive, and picture of the back of the HPD wheel confirms that news. You can just make out 'ENKEI' in backside of the spoke at top of the picture, and '45' offset instead of normal 55mm offset next to the 18x8 at left side of picture. He weighed it at 31 pounds.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
He weighed it at 31 pounds.
Actually, 31.7 lbs. assuming "he" refers to @DAMOFO. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Jason says our springs on the way, that's awesome!

Waiting on wheels...

Waiting on brake calipers to arrive....

What can we get done while we wait? Oh....I know, that dual exhaust setup that I want, going to make our 2020 look more like the factory is doing with 2021 you see below. Want it a bit more fun than totally silent stock, but not too much, not loud, this is our long distance road trip vehicle currently and are often towing our race cars to far away events (have done over 550 miles a few mornings BEFORE lunch). So, as a big believer in Helmholtz chambers to crush drone in highflow setups that is a required element for me so long trips have a calm note at moderate throttle, etc. With luck...have prototype on the truck by sometime next week.

2021 Stock Duals:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That looks awesome. Guess you have a exhaust pipe bending machine in your facility.

Can you tell us if that second factory muff is straight-thru or chambered? Do you think, out of curiosity, you will try running without the second muff in place as an experiment? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Got a straight through muffler on there now, doesn't mean we end up with that, much testing to be done before we know final configuration choices. Will be doing some sound testing of the setup later today so we can design the Helmholtz chamber we need to kill whatever drone we find.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Was the factory second muff straight-thru?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,415 Posts
Got a straight through muffler on there now, doesn't mean we end up with that, much testing to be done before we know final configuration choices. Will be doing some sound testing of the setup later today so we can design the Helmholtz chamber we need to kill whatever drone we find.
Is there a plan to dyno the truck with these engine/exhaust modifications? I presume there will be a product line for these items through you, unless this is just a proprietary to your truck?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Is there a plan to dyno the truck with these engine/exhaust modifications?
Can't speak for the OP of course, but IMO the stated reasons and goals for the exhaust mods render dyno time and effort moot (it all seems to be about aesthetics and sound characteristics):
.... that dual exhaust setup that I want, going to make our 2020 look more like the factory is doing with 2021 you see below. Want it a bit more fun than totally silent stock, but not too much, not loud, this is our long distance road trip vehicle currently and are often towing our race cars to far away events (have done over 550 miles a few mornings BEFORE lunch). So, as a big believer in Helmholtz chambers to crush drone in highflow setups that is a required element for me so long trips have a calm note at moderate throttle, etc.
Nothing in that suggests a "high performance tuning" goal and the OP's extensive experience likely precludes anything being done insofar as the exhaust that's meaningfully detrimental to 'stock performance'. I suspect that the OP's 'butt-dyno' is better calibrated than most and capable of sufficing for this situation.

Also guessing that GWR has little regular use of an AWD-capable dyno, in-house or otherwise.

(We'll see what Brian says and how far off-the-mark I am; just having a bit of fun 'publicly speculating' and won't be embarrassed whatever the answer ;))

·
Registered
788 Posts
Having some exhaust design fun!

Be careful of the distance between the tips and the bumper. That plastic does not handle the heat well, it melts very easily. I found that out the hard way with experimenting with chrome exhaust tips on mine. That exhaust is very hot on the single. Maybe the dual will dissipate some of that heat.

Question, will a 2021 bumper shell fit onto a 2017-2020? They removed the chrome strips and moved the reflectors up to make room for the tips cut out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Glad that folks like what they see, now working on the Helmholtz chamber design for this exhaust setup.

We don't have an in-house dyno, and the dyno we normally use at partner shop has been closed since COVID started. So, dreams of before/after testing are not happening any time soon. I understand folks have found solid gains with this motor on the dyno with a catback exhaust setup, perhaps down the road we will get some chance to do our own before/after dyno... but no idea when our dyno will open again and we have a long list of backed up bread and butter testing on Miata stuff once the dyno we use is open again.

So again, for now the Ridgeline is a passion project, something I do in spare time and perhaps not one product comes from it, having fun in creating some fun prototype bits for it...and making those other decisions about whether anything goes to production further down the road. Nonetheless, certainly doing the exhaust with all the good performance practices that get us max gains from our dyno experience with other platforms, more diameter and smooth mandrel bends for more flow than stock system, etc. I have done thousands of exhaust system dyno sessions over the last several decades and have yet to find any vehicle that doesn't benefit from a highflow setup. Thus, I expect there will be some gains.

No idea how easily 2021 bumper installs on 2020, not what we are seeking to do here, instead making something that fits with stock 2017-2020 bumper. We know not to get too close to the plastic, same issue on the Mazda Miata for which we sell thousands of mufflers per year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Have not looked close yet at details of the factory mufflers, dropped the factory system on the shop floor and there it lays. I was hungry to get started while I had a block of time for the design/creating process. But will circle back to have a closer look at the factory exhaust details. I would be surprised if factory is straight through since typically we never see factory straight through designs. Typical factory mufflers are like this stock ND Generation Mazda Miata muffler that I cut open, with numerous attenuation chambers, often a built in Helmholtz for drone control, and overall made to be low cost effective sound control and not made for clean flow or max engine performance.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Since the second factory muff is much smaller than the first factory muff, I’m thinking the second muff may be straight-thru. But since you have the factory system down, just thought I would ask for verification.👌

61 - 80 of 98 Posts