Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
That second body is a resonator, indeed straight through on most cars. But the muffler ahead of it usually not straight through from the factory on most vehicles. Most gains come from changing muffler to straight through setup, plus more diameter for entire setup, and getting rid of any crunch bends in factory systems.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks and understood.....just looking for positive “eyeball” straight-thru verification to eliminate “most/usually”. It is or it isn’t.

I can understand not wanting to cut the OE stock exhaust (close to the second muff) just to have a look inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks and understood.....just looking for positive “eyeball” straight-thru verification to eliminate “most/usually”. It is or it isn’t.

I can understand not wanting to cut the OE stock exhaust (close to the second muff) just to have a look inside.
And that's the issue, factory system is one solid 10 foot long item, can't peek inside easily. At the front end there is only about a foot of pipe before muffler and I took a look down it today and can confirm it is NOT straight through.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Driving Duals on our 2020!

Love it!

Some setups take weeks to get right, this one just needed the helmholtz chamber to dial it right. Helmholtz Resonator is a special side branch resonator that massively reduces the standing wave 'boominess' inside the exhaust system. We went big enough here to cut the 'booming' frequencies of 120-130hz by 48+db which is a common source of complaints with aftermarket exhausts. Will do some driving videos when time permits.

In terms of flow we easily beat the factory setup that starts about 2.4 inches into the first muffler can but keeps shrinking in size from there, exit of factory muffler is pinched down to about 2 inches and the pipe is about 2.125 at that point back to resonator and beyond. In contrast, we are bigger 2.5 inch pipe start to finish and no pinch down points, all mandrel bends, etc. Straight through big Magnaflow muffler at the front of the setup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Did over 50 miles mixed driving on it today, it makes me finally use the paddle shifters all the time just for the fun of finally hearing some exhaust note. Will get some driving video done when I can, here is startup. Deeper tone yet mild with no rasp, it is now starting to remind me of the small V8 in my other truck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Very nice. I don't trust any local shops to perform such magic on my truck... most of the muffler shops here use failed mechanics as pipe benders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Very nice. I don't trust any local shops to perform such magic on my truck... most of the muffler shops here use failed mechanics as pipe benders.
If enough folks like what they see then my intent is have Magnaflow make this full system, we work with them on numerous other projects already.

·
Registered
461 Posts
@Brian Goodwin at GWR I like the sound of your truck much better than the borla exhaust for the RL I've seen on other YouTube videos.

I'd be game to add some "bolt on" exhaust music. ;)

81 - 90 of 90 Posts