Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any video or heard anyone talk about the off-road capabilities of the second generation Ridgeline?

I saw a video on tfltruck.com, but that was with a Honda rep and it really didn't go into detail.

I'm wondering if the G2 is better off-road than the newer Pilots or if they use the same AWD system?

I'm asking because I'd love a truck that handles like a car on-road, but that could also handle my farm's uneven, gravel roads and bumpy dirt trails.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Same system as Pilot. It should handle dirt trails just fine as long as you don't drop into any deep ruts or traverse large rocks (ground clearance is 7.9").

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same system as Pilot. It should handle dirt trails just fine as long as you don't drop into any deep ruts or traverse large rocks (ground clearance is 7.9").
Oh wow really? I thought it was an improved, more capable version from the new Pilots. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You will also have to watch your approach angle closely or you could year up the plastic piece attached to the bottom of the front bumper. With the rake of the front end this plastic piece is asking to be ripped off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least the ground clearance is slightly more than the new Pilots. :smile:

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing that has me concerned is that the AWD system is the exact same that the Pilot uses. I'm not sure if that could handle ruddy, muddy, dirt roads.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Why not? Just push the terrain selector for "Mud". Honda magic, they say. Also, you can watch videos of the new RL and Pilot in mud on You Tube. If you get into deep ruts, you'll be pushing the rear control arms through that mud too because you'll only have 7.2" of ground clearance there. That might be OK as long as there aren't any hidden rocks.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The thing that has me concerned is that the AWD system is the exact same that the Pilot uses. I'm not sure if that could handle ruddy, muddy, dirt roads.
Deep rutted muddy roads? Probably not. But the Canyon/Colorado has an air dam also that would break off, unless you take it off before.
I don't think it is designed for rough off roading. A dirt road, yes.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
100MPG: ...I don't think it is designed for rough off roading...

Wait, are you saying the brochure for the new RL is wrong?? It shows the RL going everywhere, even running a stream lined with small boulders. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Oh wow really? I thought it was an improved, more capable version from the new Pilots. Thanks!
Several suspension components are NOT the same as the Pilot... they are beefed up for the Ridgeline. Things like lower control arms, hubs, bearings, shocks, etc. It is "more capable" than the Pilot in that regard.

This AWD system (IVTM-4) is the last thing you should be concerned about when off-roading. If you get past the ground clearance issue, you're home free. The IVTM-4 works great for these purposes.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
100MPG: ...I don't think it is designed for rough off roading...

Wait, are you saying the brochure for the new RL is wrong?? It shows the RL going everywhere, even running a stream lined with small boulders.
Places I will take my new RL.

Places I might take my new RL. (but MUCH slower.)

Places I am NOT taking my New RL.

Reactions: wb1dby
1 - 20 of 22 Posts