Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, RTX is its own brand and the model is called Envy. The offset is only +38mm on those wheels, how does it handle under braking and cornering at speeds above 40mph?
Braking is fine. Cornering above 40 is fine if im not hooning it. Only use them for the winter tires so......they don't get an extreme workout. still goes lock to lock ok.

Thank you for the info! I appreciate it! I was not aware of what they were other then a guy had them for his pilot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit partial to the looks of the old school BBS. There are so many designs out there that are similar, and still look nice.

The 5X120 is +38mm offset, G2 bolt pattern.
5x114.3 is +40mm.
ahhhh opps.
thanks

So I went from 18x8 +55 to 17x7.5 +38 ?

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
ahhhh opps.
thanks

So I went from 18x8 +55 to 17x7.5 +38 ?
Yup and thus increased your scrub radius by +17mm. This is assuming you are running 245/65-R17 size tires. Anything under a +/-5mm Scrub radius variance is acceptable for proper handling (compared to OEM). Just be conscious of your handling and the trucks behavior on turns during braking. You may feel something weird when you ridge on rutted asphalt as well.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Yup and thus increased your scrub radius by +17mm. This is assuming you are running 245/65-R17 size tires. Anything under a +/-5mm Scrub radius variance is acceptable for proper handling (compared to OEM).
I'm asking this from ignorance. I just assumed that the scrub radius was measured from the center of the tire. Is that wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I'm asking this from ignorance. I just assumed that the scrub radius was measured from the center of the tire. Is that wrong?
That is correct. Technically though, it is the distance between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch as measured on the road surface. Having severe camber (+ or -) will affect the contact patch's point of road contact, but in our G2 and G1, it can be taken as the midpoint of the tire. It gets just a tad bit complicated when the vehicle is lowered or lifted as well. Negative scrub is always preferred and typically the MacPherson suspension design inherently has negative scrub by design. Since our stock scrub radius is not known, adjusting it in anyway that may result in a Zero scrub is the worst thing one can do. This is when the car starts to squirm and become skiddish.

I had a great opportunity to measure the stock G1's factory scrub and I totally missed it :( :(.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
That is correct. Technically though, it is the distance between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch as measured on the road surface. Having severe camber (+ or -) will affect the contact patch's point of road contact, but in our G2 and G1, it can be taken as the midpoint of the tire. It gets just a tad bit complicated when the vehicle is lowered or lifted as well. Negative scrub is always preferred and typically the MacPherson suspension design inherently has negative scrub by design. Since our stock scrub radius is not known, adjusting it in anyway that may result in a Zero scrub is the worst thing one can do. This is when the car starts to squirm and become skiddish...
So let's say I put a G1 wheel (17"X7.5", 45mm offset) on a G2 (OEM is 18"X8", 55mm offset) and then mount a 255/65R17 tire with an outside diameter that is 0.5" greater than OEM (30.1" vs 29.6"), how much have I changed my scrub radius? The decrease in wheel offset will move the tire out by 10mm, but I'm thinking the 0.5" narrower wheel width by itself will not change the center of the tire's contact patch.

To make it interesting, let's add a 1.5" front lift kit to that G2 RL. The change in suspension geometry with the lift has been estimated to pull the wheel inward about 5mm, which partly counteracts the 10mm decrease in offset from the 17" replacement wheel. What would be the estimated change in scrub radius with this set-up?[/QUOTE]

1021 - 1040 of 1041 Posts