Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car & Driver has an article with picture on some of the accessories that will be available when the Ridgeline is launched. I imagine this is just a small sample size. It includes black roof rails, black roof-rail crossbars, black fender flares, running-board steps, and 18-inch wheels with all-terrain tires. Functional bits include a skid plate, a hard tonneau cover for the bed, a towing kit, and a two-inch trailer ball.

Link- Honda Trucks Up the 2017 Ridgeline Pickup with Genuine Accessories ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Attachments

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The wheels are ... merely ok.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,602 Posts
IMHO, YOMV . . .

Just like on the GenI, the factory roof rack looks stupid on the GenII, adding visual height to a part of the truck that doesn't need to look any higher. It also will likely have no more than 50lb load rating which truly just makes it a piece of fluff. . .

Integrating a track with the rain gutter channel would have been my preference. You could move forward and backwords and quickly pop in and out your roof rack "towers". With the towers out the truck is streamlined and with them installed you are bearing your weight on a formed metal portion of the truck that is already crazy strong for roll over protection. Team up with Yakima or Thule to have the custom Honda towers ready from the get go . . .

If I ever get a genII I will probably do what I did on my GenI. Install set of Yakima tracks that fit in place of the rain gutter trim. A custom made piece of 3/4" hollow aluminum square stock fits into the rain channel (bolted in with the studs for the factory roof rack) and then has nutserts inserted into it to bolt the yakima track down on top. Looks clean and works right!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I would get the roof rack if it matches up with a bed rack, height-wise. Otherwise, I don't see the point. More road noise and poorer MPGs.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,602 Posts
I would get the roof rack if it matches up with a bed rack, height-wise. Otherwise, I don't see the point. More road noise and poorer MPGs.
What part of the factory rack would you want to match up to? Those spindly cross bars that might hold 20lbs?? If you are serious enough to buy a rack system for the bed area, there is no way you should be making use of the factory cross bars to take the weight of the front part of the roof load. At that point your best bet would be to get towers (aftermarket thule or yakima most likely) that will clamp to the the rails and have a reasonably sturdy cross bar between them. Whats the chance of this setup lining up with a fixed height rear rack? NOT MUCH. Thule makes a bed rack system that can be adjusted up and down that might work on the GenII Ridge.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
What part of the factory rack would you want to match up to? Those spindly cross bars that might hold 20lbs?? If you are serious enough to buy a rack system for the bed area, there is no way you should be making use of the factory cross bars to take the weight of the front part of the roof load. At that point your best bet would be to get towers (aftermarket thule or yakima most likely) that will clamp to the the rails and have a reasonably sturdy cross bar between them. Whats the chance of this setup lining up with a fixed height rear rack? NOT MUCH. Thule makes a bed rack system that can be adjusted up and down that might work on the GenII Ridge.
I guess it would depend on the final weight specs of the roof rack. Twenty pounds may be sufficient to support the end of a canoe or kayak. That is where the bed rack and roof rack would need to line up. Other applications would be PVC pipe, lumber, trim pieces, etc. Again, it will come down to payload capacities overall, as well as what the aftermarket offers.

While aftermarket parts generally offer more options, oem parts tend to be better - engineered specifically to the product, as well as being able to being written into the overall vehicle loan. Again, that will depend on whether a complete package is available at time of purchase. If not, I would likely forego the oem roof rack.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
2017 Honda Ridgeline dolled out for the 2017 Chicago Auto show. Accessories on the silver color in this link

2017 Honda Ridgeline loads up on accessories (pictures) - Page 8 - Roadshow
Thanks for posting. These pictures show us the fender flares against a lighter paint color, where for me, they lost their appeal. They are cut off where they meet the front door edges and just look funky on the silver. And the junction with the other black plastic trim pieces is not flush, which doesn't look professional to me. Also, the black flares create an illusion of larger wheel wells, which makes the tires look undersized IMO. I'd still consider the roof rack and skidplate, but not that front under-bumper cladding because it may actually reduce the AoA (need a closer look to be sure about that).

·
Registered
566 Posts
i think those black wheel well protectors would look great on a black ridgeline, on the silver it doesnt look good. I'm excited to get a very dark grey or black with some of the black accesories to beef it up and it will look fantastic.

·
Registered
267 Posts
And the junction with the other black plastic trim pieces is not flush, which doesn't look professional to me.
Agree. That overlap looks like something that came from the 99¢ store. I might be interested in the bed cover if it's not the soft variety. I had an aftermarket four segment hard cover on a Silverado and liked it very much.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Did anyone else look at the pic of the accessories up on the display board? Is that a bed extender on the left, with the three bars?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Did anyone else look at the pic of the accessories up on the display board? Is that a bed extender on the left, with the three bars?
Yep, sure looks like a bed extender to me. Honda doesn't make full coverage brush guards probably because they interfere with energy absorption crumple zones in frontal collisions.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
541 Posts
These are the 1st photos of the 2nd gen that actually spark my interest. Prior photos made it look like a boring compact truck. With that said, I agree, the front fender flares look incomplete. But you could always carry the line along the doors with paint or an auto grade decal...would at least LOOK correct.

I wish Honda hadn't deviated so far away from the original design...1st gen really stands out in a crowd.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's too bad because otherwise I think the moldings add quite a bit. Question is can you add larger tires even if one wanted to? Did Honda allow enough room? That was a bit of a knock on the last version for some who wanted to add larger tires for off-road or simply just the image thing.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
i think those black wheel well protectors would look great on a black ridgeline, on the silver it doesnt look good. I'm excited to get a very dark grey or black with some of the black accesories to beef it up and it will look fantastic.
Everybody is correct they don't look complete on the lighter color but are fine on the darker colors. The roof rack does not look good to me on any truck. It's fine on SUV but if you would use it got to go with it.
I would surely go with running board/steps I am short even a taller person will tend to drag their butt on the edge of the seat.
Tonneau Cover is a must for me not liking the wheels need a closer look on them and other things like skid plate.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Never been a fan of the plastic cladding, reminds me of the 1st gen Avalanche... And the GM twins as well.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The flares make the wheels look small.

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts