Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was under the hood the other day and noticed another cutout slot about the same size for the two cutout slots that are labeled for the hood prop rod. When you use this slot (it's not labeled as a place for the hood rod) you can get the hood to open near verticle. There is enough clearance that the back edge of the hood does not hit the cowl.

Warning - if you do this make sure you have a firm grip on the hood. I do it standing on the side of the vehicle to get a better grip and angle on raising the hood. It's one of those use at your own risk type of deals.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Lingered_I said:
That's good to know. Should make the wipers easier to replace.
:confused:

Just run the wipers and turn off the engine while they're above the hood. Seems much easier than opening the hood to change them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
blueridge33 said:
Was under the hood the other day and noticed another cutout slot about the same size for the two cutout slots that are labeled for the hood prop rod. When you use this slot (it's not labeled as a place for the hood rod) you can get the hood to open near verticle. There is enough clearance that the back edge of the hood does not hit the cowl.

Wow!!! Great post!!! The small things included in this truck is just pure joy!!! Who would think that you are able to own such a "wonder"? Really, big thanks to the design and production engineers...kudos to all!!! :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hi BlueRidge33, please include this great post on the thread for "Things you may have not noticed about your RL" Thanks. oops..never mind. see post above by rtboy1961 :eek:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
To be honest with you all, I thought that the hood was supposed to only open that wide. I had no idea that there was another cut-out for the hood prop lower down on the hood.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Cool, not sure I will ever use it, but cool just the same. I don't do much under the hood of my cars, except put in some extra windshield wash fluid in the winter, oh and check the oil before a long trip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Definitely something to try under low wind conditions only.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Prior to my career now ,I was a GM dealer mechanic for 12 years. Those extra hood slots are to raise the hood extra wide for repairs that require a lot of room. Its easier than removing the hood. I like my RL a lot,but GM , Ford, dodge, etc pretty much all have this feature. Its mostly a mechanic thing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Frankly, I would gladly sacrifice the extra hole for a hood that was lifted with gas struts. This was an obvious cost-cutting measure. The hood is HEAVY and I'm not getting any younger. Our '04 Accord has the struts- why not the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
denvrfan said:
Frankly, I would gladly sacrifice the extra hole for a hood that was lifted with gas struts. This was an obvious cost-cutting measure. The hood is HEAVY and I'm not getting any younger. Our '04 Accord has the struts- why not the Ridgeline?
They had to have something to "improve" for the next model year. They are going to have to dig deep in their bag of goodies to find much to add to the "07"
I would bet they add the following at least to some trim levels:
The gas hood struts
Memory seats and side mirrors
Locking tailgate
Fog Lights

Just my S.W.A.G.

·
Registered
626 Posts
swampler said:
:confused:

Just run the wipers and turn off the engine while they're above the hood. Seems much easier than opening the hood to change them. Just my opinion.
Yeah, that's what I read in the owner's manual too. The first time I gassed up and cleaned my windshield I was perturbed by the fact that I couldn't raise the wipers to clean underneath of them (because I hadn't turned them on to put them in the "up" position). "Oh well, " I thought, "at least that part of the windshield isn't really visible from inside." Other people pointed out to me that this is common for trucks (this is my first one) because it lowers wind resistance to have the wipers below the hood line. I got curious as to how to replace the blades, and looked it up! :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good one Maybearidge. I never open it either!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Noted this a couple of weeks ago when I was installing my bug defelector. I am not sure if it is actually made for the hood, but it worked!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts