Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been loads of discussion here about the weak horn (as well as some dissenting opinions from the north). With that in mind, I have been working with a machine shop to fabricate brackets to include as part of a horn upgrade kit that I am putting together.

For the kit, I've decided to only sell the bracket, hardware, and wiring harness. That way, you can order the horns you want separately. The instructions I have put together are based on HELLA SharpTone/SuperTones (about $30 on amazon) but any HELLA style will work.

The kit will cost $50 within the US. This more or less covers my material costs and provides me a frosty beverage while I drill, solder, and crimp the harness together. Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail.

Right now, all 6 brackets I have on hand are claimed (Thanks to ScooterS, Max57, bockstar, and Dover 2017 Ridgeline). SMP38, I've got you lined up for the next batch, but I wanted to see who else is interested so that I can get all of the materials I need without having too much stock on hand.

Manufacturing date for the next batch is TBD at the moment as I'll be underway for a few weeks doing exercises off the coast of California and then driving to Virginia to begin my next tour. Expect to have my workshop back up and running by mid June.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
How hard is it to install? I would have to do this when my husband isn't looking because he thinks he does things better than I do but he takes forever to get it done. By the way, I used to rebuild engines with my brother and can wire a house to give you an idea of the skill level.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is it to install? I would have to do this when my husband isn't looking because he thinks he does things better than I do but he takes forever to get it done. By the way, I used to rebuild engines with my brother and can wire a house to give you an idea of the skill level.
under an hour. You could probably do it in 30 minutes. send me a pm with your email and i'll send you the instructions as they stand

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Can someone explain in DETAIL how to get the front end apart to get to the original horn and install the new horns? I looked and removed 3 screws in the RF fender well but hit a dead end. help.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
From GB's instructions, he indicates that you don't have to take the whole thing apart. I will know more this weekend when I tackle mine.

I haven't looked closely, but I may leave the existing horn in place, if I can pull the plug from it. That way, when I sell the truck, I can put everything back to "factory" which will likely help resale (e.g. Carmax doesn't like modified vehicles).

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you loosen the battery bracket and slide the battery toward the engine about 2-3" you can get your hand and a socket wrench down to the existing horn and remove it. You can then connect the new adapter that will connect to the relay for the new horns to the original horn connector. I did it this past weekend. Lost a bit of skin but it was worth it! You will also need to remove the vinyl engine from cover and the support brackets to make this and the subsequent install of the new horns easier.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
From GB's instructions, he indicates that you don't have to take the whole thing apart. I will know more this weekend when I tackle mine.

I haven't looked closely, but I may leave the existing horn in place, if I can pull the plug from it. That way, when I sell the truck, I can put everything back to "factory" which will likely help resale (e.g. Carmax doesn't like modified vehicles).
If you loosen the battery bracket and slide the battery toward the engine about 2-3" you can get your hand and a socket wrench down to the existing horn and remove it. You can then connect the new adapter that will connect to the relay for the new horns to the original horn connector. I did it this past weekend. Lost a bit of skin but it was worth it! You will also need to remove the vinyl engine from cover and the support brackets to make this and the subsequent install of the new horns easier.
I was thinking of leaving the stock horn in and hooked up. I tested the two I bought and compared the high tone to the stock horn...and the stock horn is a LOWER frequency then the high tone of this set. :surprise: <--- The smilie face describes my expression when I found out one of the horns I bought was higher then then stock "way to beeping high".
Maybe three tones will sound better or I can always just use the 400hz and the stock horn.

Loosen the battery bracket? I will try that but I can barely see the top of the battery much less the bracket!

Darn, just found these. https://www.amazon.com/PIAA-85115-S...rd_wg=DPVJ5&psc=1&refRID=RSE3JTQPX89XEAXMZ9K2
the two tones on you tube.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To get to the battery and the horn will require you to pullout the air intake duct. There are 2 pieces and 4 plastic screws to remove. Once you have the front piece of the duct removed the second one simple twists off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get to my horn only by removing the two intake ducts, did not have to slide the battery anywhere

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I did my install tonight. Here are my thoughts, ideas:
- The project took about 1.5 hours. I'd say that almost half of that was getting my hand to the horn and figuring out how to remove the connector. It is an easy evening project. You don't need to block a Saturday for this one.
- The kit is very nicely put together. I was impressed!
- Reminder: You are working around the radiator and engine. Don't plan on doing the project right after you drive the truck home.
- Also remember to keep your wiring away from the (hot) radiator. Attach wiring to locations not directly associated with the radiator or engine.
- I chose to leave the factory horn in place. It isn't easy to reach. There is no reason to remove it, just unplug it and plug into the wiring from the kit! Someday you may want to sell your car to a dealer. Some dealers will deduct heavy for custom stuff (like custom wiring). Give yourself the option to plug the factory back in. You will thank me for this later!
- It took me quite a while to figure out how to unplug the horn. Press on the tab that is at the back of the connector and wiggle. Once I figured that out things went quickly.
- I would suggest that you use a body bolt for the ground. I wouldn't use the battery ground. I chose not to disconnect the battery. I didn't want to run the risk of losing settings, etc. The safest thing to do is disconnect, but I didn't do it. Be safe. YMMV.
- I used the Hella Sharptone set. I didn't want to see the Yellow horns through the grill, so I removed the front cage from them and used black Plastidip. They look real nice. Will try to post pictures this weekend. Definately loud. Maybe not quite as deep of a tone as I would like, but clearly an improvement!
-Overall a worthwile project. Many thanks to Grizzlebar for putting the kit together!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did my install tonight. Here are my thoughts, ideas:

- The project took about 1.5 hours. I'd say that almost half of that was getting my hand to the horn and figuring out how to remove the connector. It is an easy evening project. You don't need to block a Saturday for this one.

- The kit is very nicely put together. I was impressed!

- Reminder: You are working around the radiator and engine. Don't plan on doing the project right after you drive the truck home.

- Also remember to keep your wiring away from the (hot) radiator. Attach wiring to locations not directly associated with the radiator or engine.

- I chose to leave the factory horn in place. It isn't easy to reach. There is no reason to remove it, just unplug it and plug into the wiring from the kit! Someday you may want to sell your car to a dealer. Some dealers will deduct heavy for custom stuff (like custom wiring). Give yourself the option to plug the factory back in. You will thank me for this later!

- It took me quite a while to figure out how to unplug the horn. Press on the tab that is at the back of the connector and wiggle. Once I figured that out things went quickly.

- I would suggest that you use a body bolt for the ground. I wouldn't use the battery ground. I chose not to disconnect the battery. I didn't want to run the risk of losing settings, etc. The safest thing to do is disconnect, but I didn't do it. Be safe. YMMV.

- I used the Hella Sharptone set. I didn't want to see the Yellow horns through the grill, so I removed the front cage from them and used black Plastidip. They look real nice. Will try to post pictures this weekend. Definately loud. Maybe not quite as deep of a tone as I would like, but clearly an improvement!

-Overall a worthwile project. Many thanks to Grizzlebar for putting the kit together!!!

Glad it went well and you liked it!

Though I removed the horn, I am holding onto it in the event I ever want to restore it to normal. It is sitting in the same box as the factory air intake :)

I hadn't thought of plastidipping the horn cages. I like seeing them, but I'm not a huge fan of yellow. Guess I could always pull them and dip them in red or blue...

Thanks for the note on the plug, I'll include that with the next revision to the instructions.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
You will do fine! I suspect that your hands may be smaller than your husband's, which is a "plus" in this project:grin::grin:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
He actually calls me a lot for small spaces. Yeah, looking at the instructions it does appear it will be a tight squeeze.
are you going to be on Long Island any time soon, Cause there ain't NO WAY I can get my hand down there to do anything useful such as try to remove the plug from the horn. Not without moving the battery. I can't figure out the plug clip so basically I am just moving my fingers around and causing MAJOR pain in my forearm while cursing all kinds of words *I* didn't even know I knew!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be in Newport RI for a week in June

·
Registered
293 Posts
are you going to be on Long Island any time soon, Cause there ain't NO WAY I can get my hand down there to do anything useful such as try to remove the plug from the horn. Not without moving the battery. I can't figure out the plug clip so basically I am just moving my fingers around and causing MAJOR pain in my forearm while cursing all kinds of words *I* didn't even know I knew!
Sorry, nowhere near. Do you know any women that follow commands pretty well? God, that sounds like I am talking about a dog.

Right now I am trying to catch up with my work before I have a go at the horn install myself.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Update: I decided to add the stock horn back into the mix. I now have the Hella Sharptones in the grill with the kit as well as the factory horn in its normal location. I like the sound of the three together much better than the factory or hella setups separately.

Details:
I was able to use a small push-on terminal over the pin in the stock horn. I then used a Scotchlock to tie it into the hot wire that runs to the Hellas. This keeps the extra load past the relay.

I shrink wrapped the terminal that I used to attach the new wire to the horn. After I pushed it on firmly, I cable tied the wire to the horn's connector housing and then wrapped all in a waterproof tape.

Note: The pin on the factory horn is very thin and bends easily, After trying to do it with the horn in the truck, I ended up removing it, (straightening pin), mounting , tying, and wrapping the connector, and then putting the horn back in the truck.

Life is good...... My work is done here!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Update: I decided to add the stock horn back into the mix. I now have the Hella Sharptones in the grill with the kit as well as the factory horn in its normal location. I like the sound of the three together much better than the factory or hella setups separately.
Totally concur with ScooterS. While the new Hellas are louder than stock, when you add the OEM horn back in, it gives you a new more powerful sound. I was lucky and able to slip a connector on the OEM horn without removing it but even if you have to remove it to hook up the connector, take the extra time and hook up all 3 horns, you won't be sorry (the relay that comes with the Hellas is more than capable of supplying power to 3 horns).

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I routinely beep at the groundhogs that like to forage along the roadside on eastern long island. They are not that bright and self preservation is not high on their list of priorities so scaring them away from the roadside is the only way to to keep them from becoming road kill. So, in the work truck, huge tractor trailer, they run when I blow the horn. In the ridgeline, they don't even look up when I lay on the horn. We need more horns.
do it for the groundhogs!

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.