Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to go and buy a beach buggy permit to go on the beach with the ridgeline. I was very very very unimpressed with its performance.
The ridgeline barely moved through the sand with the rear locked and got stuck quite a few times needing to be rocked backa nd fourth out. I tried it with the VSA on and off. Tire pressure was also lowered. It seemed as if the truck would not rev up (computer not letting all the power go to the wheels???), the tires would just slip very slowly. The trans fluid actually heated up and the light came on in the dash. and if that wasnt enough the motor actually cut off at one time. Did anyone actually take there ridge out in some real off road terrain and test it's abilitys? I have had many 4x4's Jeep,Chevys,yotas etc. I love my ridge but the 4x4 is just JUNK if you ask me. Maybe Im doing something wrong? VTM was on, tire pressure lowered and tried it with the VSA on and off. :mad: ????????? Please share your experiences!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SteelBlue said:
Your mistake was locking the rear.
If you read the manual, it will tell you to lock the rear wheels only if your stuck or about to get stuck. And you should not go past 18 mph.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Beach buggy permit??? Is it me or is it that everytime I read on here about someone speaking about how poor the 4 x 4 system is, there name is something to with a another name of vehicle, dodge, toyota, etc... Why is everyone that posts a thread about how lousy the 4x4 is,is always trying to do something out of context, or beyond the vehicles ability. Like that guy on here the other day saying the 4x4 sucked because he couldnt fly up a 30+ degree climb???
PS Those are new jersey plates on the front, where do you go beach buggy-ing in New Jersey?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My experience with the Ridgeline in the sand has been quite different. Once I turned the VSA off it worked great. (The VSA was preventing me from turning as quickly as I wanted to, otherwise I probably would have just left it on.)

I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which has BFG Mud Terrain tires, 5" lift, lockers, engine performance mods, etc.) and in sand the RL is as just about as good as my Jeep. In some ways better because the tires are actually wider allowing it to float on top of the sand a little more.

When it comes to serious off-roading, where you need a lot of clearance, and more than one wheel is off the ground at any given time, obviously, the Ridgeline will pale in comparison. But for what it is intended to be I believe it more than holds its own.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
Beach buggy permit??? Is it me or is it that everytime I read on here about someone speaking about how poor the 4 x 4 system is, there name is something to with a another name of vehicle, dodge, toyota, etc... Why is everyone that posts a thread about how lousy the 4x4 is,is always trying to do something out of context, or beyond the vehicles ability. Like that guy on here the other day saying the 4x4 sucked because he couldnt fly up a 30+ degree climb???
PS Those are new jersey plates on the front, where do you go beach buggy-ing in New Jersey?
Very good point.

This is almost identical to a number of BS post's regarding driving in sand on another RL forum on Edmunds. Very suspicious. :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, sorry if I came off on the wrong foot. im sure this post wasn't the best 1st post to make. I was just very fustrated . I did ask if it was soemthing I was doing wrong. Lets see here. Your saying to leave the rear unlocked and then when your stuck is the only time to lock the rear? Does the computer go into a mode that cuts down the power to the wheels when the rear is locked? I love my ridge, I just hope to get this 4x4 down . The only reason I locked the rear with the VTM was because I was thinking along the lines of an air locker ,etc. Where in 4 wheeling you would want all axles locked. I am assuming with the technologly today the story is different.

So no problems in sugar sand with the VTM off? I'm sure it will struggle a little but it does move through it?? Thanks for your help! :D

L

·
0 Posts
BIGBLOCKDODGE said:
Hey guys, sorry if I came off on the wrong foot. im sure this post wasn't the best 1st post to make. I was just very fustrated . I did ask if it was soemthing I was doing wrong. Lets see here. Your saying to leave the rear unlocked and then when your stuck is the only time to lock the rear? Does the computer go into a mode that cuts down the power to the wheels when the rear is locked? I love my ridge, I just hope to get this 4x4 down . The only reason I locked the rear with the VTM was because I was thinking along the lines of an air locker ,etc. Where in 4 wheeling you would want all axles locked. I am assuming with the technologly today the story is different.

So no problems in sugar sand with the VTM off? I'm sure it will struggle a little but it does move through it?? Thanks for your help! :D
We all get frustrated and need to go somewhere to vent. That's why we at the ROC are who we are. We understand because we have ALL been there. No apologies necessary.
( ever consider 6BangerRidgeline or something to that affect for a log on? After all you do own a Ridgeline right? ) :D
Just a suggestion. ;) :p

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
#1 thing to remember is that we are all friends here - we have great fun poking at each other (color choice seems to be the #1 "issue" - which we all know is out of jealousy because we all picked the "right" color - btw: under all of those other colors - everyones Ridgeline is Silver!)

Not knowing something about your truck is nothing to be embarrased about - we've all learned a great deal from this site and the folks who've gone before us.

The big thing I've had to learn about this truck is that because of the computer control of the 4WD, I can't think that it operates like my Dodge Cummins or my wife's Subaru (subaru spelled backwards is U R A Bus - lol). It is a front wheel drive vehicle until the speed sensors on the wheels don't match, at which point the computer starts applying power to the rear.

The other thing is that the truck's 4WD is a Predictive (as opposed to Reactive) 4WD. It ALWAYS starts from a stop in 4WD, dropping off the rears when the 'puter thinks everything is ok.

Hope this helps - enjoy your Ridge, welcome to the ROC, and keep posting!

-ridgeln

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've had no problems in the sand. I've driven it on deep sandy BLM trails here in the south west with VSA on and off. I did not air down either, but there is as much different kinds of sand as there are snow flakes. If you do need to air down I wouldn't go any lower than 15 PSI. The RL will go any where off road that its ground clearance will permit. Most people will run out courage before the RL runs out of ability.

Why did you buy a Ridgeline over a Dodge? Just curious. What convinced you the RL was superior?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your not losing power to the wheels, it's being transferred to ALL the wheels! That's why it's spinning SLOWLY. Once you start spinning you just look like one of those dumb monster trucks showing off your horsepower..the idea is to get TRACTION..NOT spin your tires. And I have to agree with another previous post..these tires AREN'T made for sand. How long do ya' think we'll have to wait for some knobby tires in this size? lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ridge said:
I've had no problems in the sand. I've driven it on deep sandy BLM trails here in the south west with VSA on and off. I did not air down either, but there is as much different kinds of sand as there are snow flakes. If you do need to air down I wouldn't go any lower than 15 PSI. The RL will go any where off road that its ground clearance will permit. Most people will run out courage before the RL runs out of ability.

Why did you buy a Ridgeline over a Dodge? Just curious. What convinced you the RL was superior?
I agree, if you get stuck it is because of you not the truck. It goes anywhere.

I have been on the beach many times, pics posted in the off road section. passed many GMs stuck, yes I stopped to help. two occasions the 4WD wasn't even working. whats up with that GM. As long as your GM is new it will work. Dodge guy, don't hit the ridge with a hammer like you would the dodge to fix it. LOL the ridge will never break, just let it drive itself, it will get you home.

Also, learn how the 4WD system works, if used as it should, you can go anywhere any "real 4WD" can barring any clearance issues.

PS. I am a long time owner of "real 4WDs and this truck does it all!

JJ

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the other thing to consider is even though the Ridgeline has the badge of 4WD, I personally don't consider it a 4WD and therefore don't treat it as such. To me 4WD means all four wheels are locked (and loaded;)) and being powered equally or nearly equally. In my mind the Ridgeline is more of an AWD (All Wheel Drive) that will put power where it is needed.

I think that if the Ridgeline was "bogging" down or not going anywhere, the computer was trying to react to the input from the driver and the input from the vehicle dynamics. Basically the truck was saying "Whoa this is some slippery, unstable stuff" and reducing the power to maintain control. Most 4WD vehicles respond to increased power to plow and slide through slippery, unstable surfaces, while an AWD vehicle will power down to crawl out of an unsuitable situation.

Basically most people's reactions to the Ridgeline's off road capabilities have been positive. But I think that depends on your point of view. Are you trying to get to your destination safely, reliably, with a touch of fun? :D Or are you trying to get to your destination by bounding across the terrain with the power on in order to keep the momentum up so you can get there? :eek: The Ridgeline is the former and most people's perception of a 4WD is the later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had real good luck with my RL on Hatteras, NC beaches. The Outer Banks have some of the softest, tire swallowing sand around. I went with 15lbs on all tires, VTM on, and 1st gear. I just barely touched the gas pedal and the RL moved right along. Not fast, like I saw Tacomas, Jeeps, and other big 4wd trucks doing, but then I didn't want to move fast. Just slow and steady got me where I wanted to go without beating me and my truck to death. Here's the link to my write-up if you'd like to check it out.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HEy guys/Gals .Well i just wrote a huge thing and I hit a button and it got deleted! :(
SO ill make it short. My user name is based off what i love doing. Restoring old muscle cars ,partial to Mopars.
Last night i tested the ridge in sugar sand with the vtm off. At a stand still i punched it to try and get it stuck and it would not get stuck,even on sugar sand up hills. Works great when you know how to use the truck! :D
Next week im going to try it on the beach one more time and see how it does. I am just trying to test the trucks capabilitys so I know what it can do If need i have to get somewhere. She gets washed asap the day it gets dirty! As far as why I bought the truck. Honda reliability, its roomy interior, trunk storage, and technology,and it just looks so different! Thanks for the help again!

·
Registered
67 Posts
BIGBLOCKDODGE where can you go on the beach with your ridge in jersey? Or is this an after hour affair?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
many places. Long beach isalnd,island beach state park,etc. You need to purchase a permit, you can get them from the towns police station.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Glad you got the 4WD figured out.

I was going to suggest that maybe the perceived lack of power when the VTM was locked was because you had to put the gearshift in 2nd to lock the VTM. When the RL is in 2nd, it stays in 2nd. I would imagine that trying to pull out in 2nd would seem like you don't have a lot of power.

·
Registered
668 Posts
nevadagarth said:
I think the other thing to consider is even though the Ridgeline has the badge of 4WD, I personally don't consider it a 4WD and therefore don't treat it as such. To me 4WD means all four wheels are locked (and loaded;)) and being powered equally or nearly equally. In my mind the Ridgeline is more of an AWD (All Wheel Drive) that will put power where it is needed.

I think that if the Ridgeline was "bogging" down or not going anywhere, the computer was trying to react to the input from the driver and the input from the vehicle dynamics. Basically the truck was saying "Whoa this is some slippery, unstable stuff" and reducing the power to maintain control. Most 4WD vehicles respond to increased power to plow and slide through slippery, unstable surfaces, while an AWD vehicle will power down to crawl out of an unsuitable situation.

Basically most people's reactions to the Ridgeline's off road capabilities have been positive. But I think that depends on your point of view. Are you trying to get to your destination safely, reliably, with a touch of fun? :D Or are you trying to get to your destination by bounding across the terrain with the power on in order to keep the momentum up so you can get there? :eek: The Ridgeline is the former and most people's perception of a 4WD is the later.
Just a note, I'm not an expert but even "real 4WDs only have power to 2 tires any one time, one in the front and one in the rear, they are both limited slip so the power is position to the one with best traction. the only time you have a "locked and loaded" differential is when you can lock it! many trucks are now equiped to lock up the rear diff, exterras/chevys are the two i know of.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.