Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a billet silver NAVI RTL received 4/1/05. Already 4K on the Odometer,

I have already been with it off road in Hollister and Pismo.
Both have produced less than perfect experiences. I have been offroading for 20 years and used CJs, TJS and 2nd generation 4runners. I even used a Chevy avalanche once.

The Ridgeline central differential lock must be used in any off-road low traction situation but it will only work in gear 1 and 2 (2nd gear is not usable in anything but ice/snow) and when driving very slowly.

Even when locked the traction management gets overwhelmed in slippery or sandy situations between the demand for more horsepower and trying to prevent wheel spin.

The departure angle is tolerable but the approach angle is unacceptable. I did end up losing the whole front plastic undercover $20 and the radiator drain $20. All fasteners had to be replaced $35 with the new cover I purchased. The first thing that meets the insufficient approach clearance is the plastic cover so be warned.

When using the Ridgeline in mud (Hollister) I found that the body is designed more like a Honda Accord than a Jeep. There are numerous hollow plastic panels front and rear that collect mud in quantities and won't let it out. I managed to wash it clean but it took 3 hours. The panels mentioned are very susceptible to paint and body damage when off-road.

The truck is too low and too long to negotiate any real trail that is more severe than a rough dirt road, as it will high center on trivial mounds. Also the articulation is poor and traction control when not locked is slow to deal with the airtime the different wheels are getting.

One the good side when the hill has no mounds or large ruts the truck is quite powerful and can get you up with the differential lock on. You can get into trouble if you don't press the lock button and turn VSA off before you starts the hill climb as the compuiter will cut power to the engin when wheel spin starts, to the extreme point that the engine could actually stall.

I use the Ridgeline to get in and out from OHV staging areas with two motocross bikes and it really shines doing this light offroad duty. Getting in and out of Clear Creek is a dramatically improved experience compared to doing it with the same bikes with a Chevy Avalance. You'll get fanatastic compiant suspention and road handling on the bumpy, hilly, curved and narrow road with full load of people, gear and motorcyles.

To summerize - if you use the Ridgeline within the envelope of dirt road usage that Honda engineered it for - it is wonderful. Use its 5000 lbs towing capacity to tow your real off-road vehicle and not use the Ridgeline for anything above a 3 rated 4x4 trail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprising enough the tires even without airing down offer excelent grip.
Under no circumstance are the tires the weak part of the package.
In dirt, mud, snow type condition the tires are actually a good compromise as road tires.

Obviousely larger tires with more aggressive profile would be better for some special off-road scenarios, but you would lose the Ridgelines better than most benefits of being a truck with car like road manners and access.

shingles said:
Do you feel that tires better suited for off roading would haved in some of the traction related situation?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome Oran, Thanks for your comments about taking the Ridge "really offroad". You might have just saved a bunch of us from an un-planned expensive adventure. Take Care, Bama

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love the Honda Ridgeline, although, I bought it because
I don't go offroad and don't actually like trucks.
It is what it is, the Home Depot, fishing boat vehicle. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
oran said:
Use its 5000 lbs towing capacity to tow your real off-road vehicle and not use the Ridgeline for anything above a 3 rated 4x4 trail.
I'm ready to confine my adventures to 3 rated trails. I've been some beautiful places while exploring the mountains. I've been a few places that scared me enough that I would not go back. Those memories will serve me well and I will happily take a more conservative approach to scaling the steepest mountains.

Now if we could just get reliable backroad maps and universal ratings of the offroad adventures. IMO, Colorado does the best job of giving drivers accurate information of what to expect on their backroads.

If you want a slick rock climbing machine, or want to do extreme 4X4 driving, I don't think you'll be attracted to a Ridgeline anyway.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The Ridgeline central differential lock must be used in any off-road low traction situation but it will only work in gear 1 and 2 (2nd gear is not usable in anything but ice/snow) and when driving very slowly.

Even when locked the traction management gets overwhelmed in slippery or sandy situations between the demand for more horsepower and trying to prevent wheel spin.

This has not been my experience. I've had the RL in deep dry sand where the sand is scraping the under carriage and the RL plowed through admirably with VSA on. I was fully expecting to have to use VTM-4 lock, but it wasn't required.

The departure angle is tolerable but the approach angle is unacceptable. I did end up losing the whole front plastic undercover $20 and the radiator drain $20. All fasteners had to be replaced $35 with the new cover I purchased. The first thing that meets the insufficient approach clearance is the plastic cover so be warned.

Wow. What were you approaching? A wall. I've taken the RL up a steep muddy hill with VTM-4 lock on and common sense would have told me not to approach any steeper incline than that. I didn't even complete the climb because I just didn't feel comfortable being that verticle in my 33,000 dollar vehicle. It sounds like you've done some extensive off roading in your past and would attempt things that 99% of others wouldn't even think of trying. Most people won't even go as far as I did.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I am very glad to see the versatility with which some of you guys view the Ridgeline. I have never done any off-road stuff and although now I have the Ridge which can handle some of it, I am committed more than ever NOT to go off-road.

I thought they used old, modified, beat up jeeps for climbing mountains not a vehicle such as this, especially when new. I don't want so much as a nick, mark or dent in mine, or even a bug splat. I don't want to tow anything or put a load in the back end for fear of scratching the bed. I don't want any rain to fall on it or have any dust settle let alone road dirt. I just want to look at her! Heck, I'm afraid to take my Ridge out of the garage!!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
bellteck said:
Congrats Oran, your the first person on this forum that in your first 7 posts have had nothing GOOD to say about the Ridgeline. If you do this much hard core off roading why did you even buy a Ridgeline? ( if you even own one ) Did you do ANY research prior to your purchase? Or are you just here to posts made up stories about the Ridgeline to make it look bad? :mad:
Last time I checked this forum wasn't The Bush Administration. We don't have to run lock-step singing the party line. It's good to get everyone's experience with the Ridge. Good or Bad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm not even sure what the correct terminology is, but I wonder why we haven't seen here in the ROC any discussion of "lifts" or jacking-up this truck? I mighta guessed one of you hot-rodders would have done this by now???! :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Please, leave the politics out of this forum. :mad:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
does anyone live near sedona, AZ? I just saw MotorTrend TV and did a comparison on 6 SUV and off road capabilities about their weakness and strengths. I was wondering if the RL can handle the same testing grounds as these SUV's. they went through hills, muddy terrain, approach clearing, descend clearing, etc. If anyone wondering what vehicles was tested: Grand Cheroke w/HEMI, VW Toureg V6, Toyota 4runner, Isuzu Montera, and forgot the other two. Grand Cheroki came on top due to the HEMI engine and all vehicles did very well with small scratches to their underbody. No vehicles broke anything serious or oil leaks.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Edmunds did a test similar to this, and the Ridgeline could not complete it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bellteck said:
Congrats Oran, your the first person on this forum that in your first 7 posts have had nothing GOOD to say about the Ridgeline. :mad:
Thanks for the congrats bellteck I appreciate it especially coming from you. :)
bellteck said:
If you do this much hard core off roading why did you even buy a Ridgeline? QUOTE]
I bought the Ridgeline as a motorcycle carrier and as a towing vehicle that my wife can make a daily driver to replace the Odyssey.
bellteck said:
( if you even own one ) QUOTE]
Avatar updated to include my RTL with motorcycles loaded.
bellteck said:
Did you do ANY research prior to your purchase? QUOTE]
I did all the research with the information available in March and it proved to be relatively as I expected.
bellteck said:
Or are you just here to posts made up stories about the Ridgeline to make it look bad? :mad:
Non of my posting are biased on the contrary everything is verified experiences of someone that has taken the Ridgeline off-road, towed heavy loads and already driven close to 4000 miles. Why don' t you let the readers of the forums decide if this information in interesting to them.

Oh BTW you already agreed with my Ridgeline off-road assessment so I guess you disagree with the four down towing or is it the Navi Hacking that especially disrupts your serenity?

As the appointed owner of the forum I humbly ask your permission to continue posting :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9470

For car and driver comp where Ridgeline comes in #1 (they recommend it not for offrad use though)

kanji said:
does anyone live near sedona, AZ? I just saw MotorTrend TV and did a comparison on 6 SUV and off road capabilities about their weakness and strengths. I was wondering if the RL can handle the same testing grounds as these SUV's. they went through hills, muddy terrain, approach clearing, descend clearing, etc. If anyone wondering what vehicles was tested: Grand Cheroke w/HEMI, VW Toureg V6, Toyota 4runner, Isuzu Montera, and forgot the other two. Grand Cheroki came on top due to the HEMI engine and all vehicles did very well with small scratches to their underbody. No vehicles broke anything serious or oil leaks.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Well, at least we now know the true intentions of oran. He's a board troll.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ya but I'll betcha dat none of yer stoopid Ridgelines kan hawl as muct freight as my buddys freinds buddys cousins truck can!

Editors note: Upon further investigation, the truck in the comparison was found to be a Kenworth semi, but the Kenworth did indeed have a higher load capacity than the Ridgeline. It may be of interest to our readers that the Kenworth was actually pulling a car hauler loaded with seven 2006 Ridgelines, one Pilot and one S2000 headed for an unnamed Honda dealer destined for immediate delivery to anxiously awaiting customers. :p

·
Registered
460 Posts
shovelhd said:
Well, at least we now know the true intentions of oran. He's a board troll.
seriously??? how do yall figure.........first im too busy laughing as i read teck call him out but it didn't occur to me that he was trolling. what i mean is, if yall can spot it then that is very good. ;)

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
jeffiam said:
seriously??? how do yall figure.........first im too busy laughing as i read teck call him out but it didn't occur to me that he was trolling.
Because he doesn't own a Ridgeline. At first he said he had one, but when confronted, he reneged. Do an Advanced Search against his username and you'll see.

This is the Ridgeline Owners Club. It's for people who own the truck or are contemplating owning one. Negative views are welcomed within a legitimate discussion. Those that post only negatively are trolls. They are trying to stir up controversy, and waste Tmac's bandwidth.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts