Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

My wife and I just started looking at this truck and are very excited by it....just wondering though...does anyone have any experience with hauling kayaks on this rig? We have two 17 foot Sea-Kayaks and would be using the truck to haul them on the roof, kids in back, camping gear, dog, mountain bikes, etc...anyone out there have some pics with kayaks on top?

Any opinions are appreciated....:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Do you have any pictures of these kayaks on your current vehicle? I would guess if you have these on a vehicle now, you probably have either Yakima or Thule bars on your car. Currently neither make a kit to replace the Honda roof rack, which apparently is developed by Thule. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the bars are flat instead of round or square, which means there aren't a lot of accessories out there that can mount on these. Honda does make a Kayak kit for the rack, if you check out my pictures on here, you may be able to do something where you pick up the kit and mount both on one set of bars and then put the Thule goalpost on the back and extend the kayaks back that way. Of course you have the advantage that kayaks are usually mounted face up instead of face down so you get the thin portion on the rack.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just saw a thread with Kayaks ... now where was it ...?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I gave a kayak and I was wondering about mounting it on my factory roofrack as well.

So today, I got a chance to go and browse one of the local outdoor stores. And there I saw the Yakima MightyMount. Which claims to be useful in mounting kayak saddles and rollers on to factory roofracks.

I sweettalked the very bored salesclerk into opening the box, and helping me try to fit on my roofrack.

After admiring the RL excessively, along with my Retrax cover, he finally got around to fitting the MightyMount.

And ... IT WORKS!

I'm buying two sets from the ROC sponsor, ORS, which have a website link on the frontpage here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
captmiddy said:
Do you have any pictures of these kayaks on your current vehicle? I would guess if you have these on a vehicle now, you probably have either Yakima or Thule bars on your car. Currently neither make a kit to replace the Honda roof rack, which apparently is developed by Thule. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the bars are flat instead of round or square, which means there aren't a lot of accessories out there that can mount on these. Honda does make a Kayak kit for the rack, if you check out my pictures on here, you may be able to do something where you pick up the kit and mount both on one set of bars and then put the Thule goalpost on the back and extend the kayaks back that way. Of course you have the advantage that kayaks are usually mounted face up instead of face down so you get the thin portion on the rack.
yamika makes a factory rack adaptor called a mighty mount that will allow you to use yakima accessories with your ridgeline factory rack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just saw this and thought I'd share some pictures. I've set up my Ridgeline with Saris Racks that I've used for 10 years and have had very good performance from the racks as well as the company. They're very easy to put on and take off which makes for less wind noise and better gas mileage because they come off so easy.

Enjoy, MtnDan

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks MtnDan, where is a good place to get them I don't have the honda roof rack and don't want it, seems your's is a better solution when you're not hauling stuff around, you can take it off.

btw, DelMar, not to far fm Fairfax if I recall?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts