Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After browsing the manual the only maintenance schedule I found was a letter-coded chart that referred to the electronic readout on the dash. Every car I've had before has a mileage/time based service chart in the manual. I purchased the Honda Care extended warranty and want to make sure I follow the schedule exactly. I trust the onboard CPU to an extent, but I'd like the peace of mind of actually having a paper schedule like my other vehicles. Anyone have this information? I'm checking the dealership to see if they can come up with something also. Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
If the message ''SERVICE DUE NOW'' does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

NOTE:

Independent of the maintenance messages in the multi-information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2 or 3, only if they are noisy.

Symbol
Maintenance Main Items

A
Replace engine oil.

Engine oil capacity without oil filter: 4.0 L (4.2 US qt).

B
Replace engine oil and oil filter.

Engine oil capacity with oil filter: 4.3 L (4.5 US qt).

Check front and rear brakes.

Check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage, and cracks.

Check calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness of mounting bolts.

Check parking brake adjustment.

Check the number of clicks (10 to 12) when the parking brake pedal is pressed with 294 N (30 kgf, 66 lbf) of force.

Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots.

Check rack grease and steering linkage.

Check boots for damage and leaking grease.

Check fluid lines for damage and leaks.

Inspect suspension components.

Check bolts for tightness.

Check condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage.

Inspect driveshaft boots.

Check boots for cracks and boot bands for tightness.

Inspect brake hoses and lines including VSA.

Check the master cylinder and VSA modulator for damage and leakage.

Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids.

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF-Z1).

VTM-4 rear differential fluid (Honda VTM-4 Differential Fluid).

Power steering fluid.

Brake fluid.

Windshield washer fluid.

Engine coolant.

Inspect exhaust system*.

Check catalytic converter heat shields, exhaust pipes, and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness.

Inspect fuel lines* and connections*.

Check for loose connections, cracks, and deterioration; retighten loose connections and replace damaged parts.

NOTE: According to state and federal regulations, failure to do the maintenance items marked with an asterisk (*) will not void the customer's emissions warranties. However, Honda recommends that all maintenance services be done at the recommended interval, to ensure long-term reliability.

L

·
0 Posts
Number
Maintenance Sub Items

Rotate tires, and check tire inflation and condition.

Follow the pattern shown in the Owner's Manual.

Replace air cleaner element.

If the vehicle is regularly driven in dusty conditions, replace the element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Replace dust and pollen filter.

Replace the filter at 15,000 miles (24,000 km) intervals if the vehicle is driven mostly in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.

Replace the filter whenever airflow from the heating and cooling/climate control system is less than normal.

Inspect drive belt.

Look for cracks and damage, then check the position of the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator.

Replace automatic transmission and transfer fluid.

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission and transfer fluid temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If the vehicle is regularly driven in these conditions, replace the transmission and transfer fluid every 30,000 miles (48,000 km).

Automatic transmission fluid capacity: 3.1 L (3.3 US qt), use Honda automatic transmission fluid (ATF-Z1).

Transfer fluid capacity: 0.43 L (0.45 US qt), use hypoid gear oil GL4 or GL5.

Replace spark plugs.

Use IZFR5K11 (NGK) or SKJ16DR-M11 (DENSO).

Replace timing belt. If the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures (over 110 ºF, 43 ºC), or in very low temperatures (under -20 ºF, -29 ºC), replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada) and inspect water pump.

Inspect the valve clearance (cold).

Otherwise adjust only if noisy.

Intake: 0.20-0.24 mm (0.008-0.009 in.), Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.).

Replace engine coolant.

Capacity (including the reserve tank): 6.2 L (1.64 US gal), use Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2.

Replace VTM-4 rear differential fluid.

Driving in mountainous areas at very low speeds, towing a trailer, or frequently driving fully loaded results in a higher level of mechanical (shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles (12,000 km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Capacity: 2.64 L (2.79 US qt), use Honda VTM-4 Differential Fluid.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I received a booklet specifically for keeping track of maintenance on the vehicle. I forget what it is called or if it lists the recommended mileage for each item, but I do recall it has checkboxes for all the standard things on each page. I will repost after I have looked at it again.

L

·
0 Posts
The above schedule is what was recommended to me to follow by the Honda Rep. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
i could not find any mileage recommendations either........dealership will most likely recommend what is profitable to them more than what is best for you.
IM HAVING A HARD TIME TRUSTING THE ONBOARD TO TELL ME WHEN TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS, ETC. BUT I DON'T WANT TO THROW MONEY AWAY IF THE COMPUTER CAN BE TRUSTED. anyone else trying to figure this out......i mean change the oil once a year????/10,000 miles...........whoa!! when do i change trans. fluid...........seriously, can the computer be trusted? :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
jeffiam said:
i could not find any mileage recommendations either........dealership will most likely recommend what is profitable to them more than what is best for you.
IM HAVING A HARD TIME TRUSTING THE ONBOARD TO TELL ME WHEN TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS, ETC. BUT I DON'T WANT TO THROW MONEY AWAY IF THE COMPUTER CAN BE TRUSTED. anyone else trying to figure this out......i mean change the oil once a year????/10,000 miles...........whoa!! when do i change trans. fluid...........seriously, can the computer be trusted? :confused:
I hear ya jeffiam! I'm having a real hard time myself trusting a computer to tell me when to change oil especially if it's along time. For the small price of a few quarts of oil and a good filter I'm leaning towards doing it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
ridge4me2 said:
I hear ya jeffiam! I'm having a real hard time myself trusting a computer to tell me when to change oil especially if it's along time. For the small price of a few quarts of oil and a good filter I'm leaning towards doing it the old fashioned way.
For the price of a good horse ($750) you could save the price of a Ridgeline ($32,000) and get where you want to go the old fashion way too!

The 10,000 mile recommendation is not based on a computer's ability to count to 10,000. Engine design, manufacturing techniques, and lubricants are all greatly improved over yester-year. Embrace the technological changes. Honda knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ridge4me2 said:
me too, but at the same time i want to take steve's advise and trust what honda has installed in the truck so that i can the most for my money. kinda like getting a haircut before i need one ya know? it don't cost much but it don't help me much either. besides, lower operating costs helps me to justify starving my wife and daughter to buy it!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ridge4me2 said:
The old fashioned way (I know because I'm old) was 7500 miles between changes. This is what most cars recommend. The 3000 mile interval is a Jiffy Lube thing to make more money and is based on severe driving conditions which, contrary to what they want you to think, does not apply to most people.

·
Registered
460 Posts
yea, i want to believe that............suspect that.................like the dealer suggesting 3750.......they are just dividing 7500 by 2 and then justifying it by saying here in tx it gets hot........change it sooner........they act like im driving on the sun..........Att: att: please stop selling me and start helping me!!!!!!!! or do they do that anymore.......ya know, i remember reading on HONDA website, it stated that 'it does absolutely no good to change your oil earlier than recommended."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts