Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood and front end of my 2006 took a beating on cross country trips. Lot's of small dents and dings from rocks thrown by trucks, etc. Not for my 2017. Bought the nose mask and put it on yesterday before a 500 mile drive on I-80. Had to cut some things out per the instructions to show the front plate, fog lights, and sensors, but took about an hour overall, including installation and seems to be working as advertised.

I intend to use it only when on long trips on the interstate, not around town. Does not seem to have impacted gas mileage in any obvious way.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just a word of warning. They trap all kinds of grit/grim/rocks behind them and chew your paint up more than they help. We were super careful with my mom's Camaro and that had to get resprayed after a few years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a word of warning. They tap all kinds of grit/grim/rocks behind them and chew your paint up more than they help. We were super careful with my mom's Camaro and that had to get resprayed after a few years.
Thanks for this. My intent is to put it on in dry weather for the 15 or so days of the year that I am driving 500 miles or so, but remove it for the rest of the time. Any opinion about that?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I tried one of those, years ago. Your idea of putting it on and taking it off might work if you always clean up underneath before you put it on. Otherwise, what gets stuck on your vehicle rubs on the surface from the air tension to the bra and actually scratches the finish.

I found a good, lifetime warranty, front clear bra (and not just the hood...the entire front is covered). Years ago, they used to yellow. The new ones are tougher and are guaranteed against yellowing, etc. for life. I've put them on my last 3 vehicles, have never had a problem, and won't drive off a lot without one installed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for this. My intent is to put it on in dry weather for the 15 or so days of the year that I am driving 500 miles or so, but remove it for the rest of the time. Any opinion about that?
Putting on and taking off is a pain, and that is what I did with my mom's car. Still got all messed up. Not worth it. I will probably go with a clear bra when I buy my truck.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Seriously? You ask that on an internet forum? lol. Anyway, I think it is a GREAT idea and that is exactly what I will be doing. I took a CC trip in my PERFECT 2002 S-10 and the front end got trashed. I went to Alaska and the yukon also but trashed is trashed. It broke my heart.
So, I intend to take my BE (yep, I can see the future) this winter on a CC trip, with my XRL on the trailer and the bed loaded with all my other fun crap, and I will have the bra on the front end for the trip and taken off when I get home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
3M is better, works everyday cause I don't think rocks are only on "long trips" and protects your headlamps/fogs from pitting. Costs more though, I hope.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a good, lifetime warranty, front clear bra (and not just the hood...the entire front is covered). Years ago, they used to yellow. The new ones are tougher and are guaranteed against yellowing, etc. for life. I've put them on my last 3 vehicles, have never had a problem, and won't drive off a lot without one installed.
Link to product please.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I insist they use the 3M pro series:
Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgard? Pro Series Paint Protection Film

3M gives you 7 year warranty. The dealer gives you life for both tinting and clear bra (at least here in AZ at the ones I go to); however, it is not transferable....and that works OK for me since I usually trade every 5-6 years, once I hit 100k.

Lots of rocks here in AZ and I've seen it withstand some nasty hits.
Thank you for the link. I took a look at it and, in a word, it appears that the warranty is useless. While the site says you "can" protect, "Hoods, bumpers and mirror backs from flying gravel, bug acids and tar." The warranty says this:

"This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris."

As near as I can tell, all the warranty offers is to replace the treatment. "3M warrants that applied Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Pro Series will be free of defects in materials and manufacture - including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking - for seven (7) years from date of purchase."

Certainly it may protect from dents due to rocks, but 3M doesn't warranty that it will. I don't know what it costs, but in my situation I think the nose mask will work best. The reason is that it fully protects from rocks, etc. in the covered area, which is where I sustained all of my damage in my 2006 (forward facing hood area and forward facing bumper. In my case 90% of annual my driving mileage is on interstate highways during about 20 days a year of driving. So putting the nose mask on during that 90% period seems like a more logical approach. It also appears to be much cheaper. Interesting link below:

Paint Protection Film Review: Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Like I said in an earlier post, I thing it will work fine for you, since you plan on taking it on and off and being careful. I've had great luck with the clear bra and, as I said, I've seen it survive some massive rock hits. The local company that warrants the install has actually taken a few major rock hits and smoothed the film back out, all at no charge, so I'm happy with that. I personally don't have the time and/or patience to do what you plan to do (until I retire, which isn't any time soon, unfortunately). Your use will be more specialized, and for that, I think the nose mask will work perfectly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I said in an earlier post, I thing it will work fine for you, since you plan on taking it on and off and being careful. I've had great luck with the clear bra and, as I said, I've seen it survive some massive rock hits. The local company that warrants the install has actually taken a few major rock hits and smoothed the film back out, all at no charge, so I'm happy with that. I personally don't have the time and/or patience to do what you plan to do (until I retire, which isn't any time soon, unfortunately). Your use will be more specialized, and for that, I think the nose mask will work perfectly.
Thanks for that.

I will say that most of the damage I sustained in the past was paint chips, not dents, and the 3M might well handle that. I don't know. Interesting though about the limits on the guarantee.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Thanks for that.

I will say that most of the damage I sustained in the past was paint chips, not dents, and the 3M might well handle that. I don't know. Interesting though about the limits on the guarantee.
IF I had a picture of our last vehicle without the Clear Bra, I would post it. Pearl White, gorgeous when clean...100k miles later, front looked like sh!t with all the little rock chips when we traded it in (and the base coat/primer was a dark grey!). Our current vehicle, with the bra and just under 60k, one little spot, and you have to look for that (and I remember the hit...a VERY large rock bounding down the road and I could do nothing but take it on due to a large semi right next to me). Again, lots of rocks here and, in the winter, they used lots of cinders on the roads. For us, it was a good investment. Another positive to it is that bug juice doesn't seem to bother it at all and is easier to remove from the covered areas, too. Again, the right tool for the right job, for our needs....I think everyone, and their driving environment, is different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 90's called and asked for its accessory back.

Yes. I second xpel or suntek ppf. 3m yellows.

90% installer though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
The other problem with vinyl bras is moisture getting trapped under the vinyl. You can end up damaging the paint, it gets a milky look that can't be polished out.
I had Xpel installed on the full front clip and mirrors. I've had that done on my past five vehicles, no lines to show dirt (especially on white paint) and no rock chips. Typical retail is around $1,400 for a full front using Xpel or Suntek. My dealer on the RL only charged me the $975 quoted by the installer. The installer has the cutting machine so the material isn't wrapped over every edge like my cars, but the leading edges are fully covered and the other edges have good coverage. I'm happy with the wrap and the price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts