Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am frustrated with my 2018 Ridgeline primarily because the bed is so small. I can't get a cooler in without opening two of three segments of the Honda bed cover. That's because the bed is so shallow. The Honda bed cover is just plain awful. It covers a third of bed unless you remove it, which is not trivial. Plus it's heavy. Very poor design. The storage well under the bed is a gimmick. If you put in something heavy, you'll break your back getting it out. And there's no lock on the tailgate....an egregious omission (you can buy one that works in tandem with the flawed bed cover, but my dealer where service is a zoo knew nothing about it).

The Ridgeline is nice to drive, but honestly, it's not really a truck.

Some of the safety features such as the disclaimer that comes up every time you start the vehicle treats you like an idiot. You have to hit ok like you agree to pay attention to the road to get further functionality from the display. Each time is like interacting with a lawyer. I love the message "steering required." Really?

I gave up my 2011 Silverado and wish I didn't.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Hmm, are you pissed at yourself for not doing your due diligence before purchase or pissed that the Ridgeline does not meet your expectations (which reflects lack of due diligence). The solution for you is easy, get another 2011 Silverado.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I will try to address each of these points individually,

It sounds like a lot of the problems you have deal with the Honda OEM bed cover. I foresaw that bed cover wasn’t to my standards and opted for the Peragon retractable aluminum bed cover instead (and I color matched it to my BE as well.)

My Yeti 65Q fits underneath my bed cover perfectly.

did you know the RL has a wider bed than it’s class competitors?

I guess if you are having trouble retrieving items from your in bed trunk you should put them underneath your convenient under-seat storage in the back row. 😄

Honda did not put a lock on their tailgate because the original design of a tailgate lock was not to keep people from opening your tailgate and retrieving those items inside but from stealing the tailgate itself. With Honda’s ingenuous dual action tailgate there is no need for a tailgate lock because of the complexity of the dual action hinge. I agree this is somewhat inconvenient for those of us who use bed covers and expect a secure cargo area. That’s why I bought the Pop&Lock electric tailgate lock that wires directly with your door locks/unlocks (Part # PL8600).

As for the infotainment disclaimer, did you know if you wait approximately 30 seconds from vehicle start that it will disappear on its own? Which is conveniently enough time to get in and get everything situated and allow time for the engine to re-lubricate after sitting for a while. When it comes to the “Steering Required” I am 100% in agreement, that’s got to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Why would they set it to go off every like 30-45 seconds? I drive on roads that are straight for that long. I have to shake my steering wheel just to prevent it. Hopefully you can solve these small quarrels and come to learn that the Ridgeline isn’t a truck, it’s so much more than that.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Bed size: I took a tape measure when I went shopping so I knew the common items I usually haul fit where I want to carry them or find an alternative. I was more interested in in-cab cargo space with the seat folded up when we haul stuff to a cabin in the summer.

As for the screen warning message, I think all modern vehicles have that.

Steering Required? What is that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The beauty of the Ridgeline for me is the in-bed trunk. When I had my F-150, I installed a bed cover so I could toss things in the back and have the not be visible. I could put those items in the trunk.

The other great thing about the RL is the rear seats fold up to reveal a nearly flat floor...the Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado, and Gladiator do not have a flat floor. So big coolers and such can go in the back. I only have a family of three, so there is plenty of room for people and stuff in the cab.

The RL is as much of a truck as 80% of truck buyers actually need.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am frustrated with my 2018 Ridgeline primarily because the bed is so small. I can't get a cooler in without opening two of three segments of the Honda bed cover. That's because the bed is so shallow. The Honda bed cover is just plain awful. It covers a third of bed unless you remove it, which is not trivial. Plus it's heavy. Very poor design. The storage well under the bed is a gimmick. If you put in something heavy, you'll break your back getting it out. And there's no lock on the tailgate....an egregious omission (you can buy one that works in tandem with the flawed bed cover, but my dealer where service is a zoo knew nothing about it).
Hold on folks, maybe jdodge659 has some valid complaints here, let's give him a chance to explain, shall we? I have just a couple of more questions in addition to Farther's post to help clarify things a little, if I may?

Did the bed size change after you purchased it, I would have to admit that if that happened to me that it would piss me off also?

When you initially inspected the vehicle before you purchased it, I bet that the sales person tricked you on how the bed cover actually worked, didn't he/she? He/she also pulled out their trick tape measure to show you how much room was in the bed, didn't they? Again I would also be pissed, you can't trust anybody these days!

Please tell me if I am wrong, but I would also bet that the sales person used something like a cooler full of Styrofoam beads to illustrate the trunk, am I right? I am getting madder by the minute here just listening how unfair you were treated!

I must admit that I have yet to own a pickup with a locking tailgate, but maybe that is dating myself so it is probably best just to leave that as it is?

Yessiree, dodge659, I can fully understand how upset you must be getting duped out of your Chevy to purchase this Honda, I wish you the best of luck with your lawsuit which is most surely going to follow!

Bill

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
As other have said, I'm seriously wondering if a full test drive was done before purchase? The complaints the OP is making are stemming directly from not fully testing the vehicle for his typical uses before dropping over $40,000 on it. To complain about the depth of the bed, the usefulness of the trunk, the quality of the accessory bed cover and the other things in that manner just means, as Farther said, due diligence was not done. Don't hate on the Ridgeline and call it "not a truck" just because you didn't do your homework. Go buy a Canon/Colorado, Tacoma, Ranger, Frontier, etc. and I guarantee you're going to find a plethora of things that bother you.

·
Registered
15 Posts

The Ridgeline is nice to drive, but honestly, it's not really a truck.

Some of the safety features such as the disclaimer that comes up every time you start the vehicle treats you like an idiot. You have to hit ok like you agree to pay attention to the road to get further functionality from the display. Each time is like interacting with a lawyer. I love the message "steering required." Really?

I gave up my 2011 Silverado and wish I didn't.
Definition of truck
(Entry 1 of 4)
1: a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: such as
a: a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (such as a pickup) for hauling

·
Super Moderator
12,142 Posts
You have to hit ok like you agree to pay attention to the road to get further functionality from the display.
No, you don't. The disclaimer will disappear on its own after several seconds.

Regarding your other complaints, another great feature of the Ridgeline is its resale value - you could probably swap your used 2018 Ridgeline for a new Silverado for no difference in price - a move that you might want to make sooner rather than later given your praise for the Silverado and dissatisfaction with the Ridgeline in each of your posts on this forum thus far.

Your opinions, observations, and experiences are certainly welcome here, but don't expect much sympathy in this case.

Just curious - how big was the trunk in your Silverado compared to the Ridgeline?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe trade it for a new Silverado if you can stand the looks. Let's be honest the Ridgeline is not the most attractive vehicle either (specifically the front), so that shouldn't be an issue. No truck is perfect. I bought a Ridgeline mostly for the size and ride quality. I could do 80% of what I need a truck for with an old VW Rabbit pickup. We had one growing up and people laughed at it not being a real truck, but we used it for everything (besides towing which we didn't do).

For a vehicle I drive everyday, ride comfort was the highest priority. At times I miss the 8ft bed on my 66 F100 or the 7ft bed on my 95 F150, but I would not want to drive either of those everyday. I find ways to make the Ridgeline 5ft bed work. Just yesterday I bought a pvc replacement window sill. The supply store only sells it in 17 ft lengths, so I cut it in half and stuck it thru the sliding rear window. Small price to pay for a truck that's easy to park, and extremely comfortable on a daily basis. Maybe a topper would even be a good option for you, before you buy another Silverado? They aren't cheap, I would even consider a different tonneau and cooler before you spend $3k on a topper (or even more to get a new truck).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get that daily with the lane assist on. My right hand is on the 4 o'clock position.
Left hand is waving at all my fans from near and far.
Bed size: I took a tape measure when I went shopping so I knew the common items I usually haul fit where I want to carry them or find an alternative. I was more interested in in-cab cargo space with the seat folded up when we haul stuff to a cabin in the summer.

As for the screen warning message, I think all modern vehicles have that.

Steering Required? What is that?
Steering required only shows up if you have “lane keep assist” on (which is only an option on the E and BE).

·
Registered
104 Posts
In almost four months of ownership, I have yet to see the message,"steering required."
You must live in an area with lots of curvy roads. I see it multiple times a day where I live mainly due to the fact that the roads are all based on grids and require little to no steering input to keep the RL straight on track. The joys of midwest farm living

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guess I did not get the memo about my new Ridgeline not being a real truck...

We are currently in Angel Fire New Mexico staying with friends at their gorgeous home on 3 acres at 9,000'. We left the Class C at home for this trip as I wanted to break in my new Ridgeline and their guest suite is incredible.

We are towing my Polaris RZR in our 10' {14' overall} Cargo trailer which fully loaded weighs in at 2,540#. More than a few hills and serious mountains between Tucson and Angel Fire and WOW does this thing tow well. Rolling down the interstate at 65 I am getting 16 mpg and the RTL isn't even breathing hard. Slight grades will see it kicking down from 2,400rpm in 6th to 3,400 in 5th but it is so smooth I hardly notice. I think it only kicked down to 4th and 4,400 rpm twice on the 660 mile trip up here.

The only time I use D4 is on the steep passes, both up and down and it performs just like the Tow Haul in our 24' V-10 Class C {which is also rated to tow 5,000#}. We are going up to Red River later this morning hauling the RZR and 4 adults and that takes us up and over Bobcat pass at something north of 9,800'. I rented a RZR for our friends to drive and we have a 4 hour trail ride scheduled for 1:00... can't wait!

It's a shame I don't have a real truck... LMAO!

Oops, forgot the obligatory photo:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You must live in an area with lots of curvy roads. I see it multiple times a day where I live mainly due to the fact that the roads are all based on grids and require little to no steering input to keep the RL straight on track. The joys of midwest farm living
Per the post above yours, that message only applies to the E and BE. I have the RTL-T

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
21 Participants
Hap17
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing