Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
On my 2011, I DO have to hit okay or else the NAV turns into a clock. I would have no problem leaving it be, but it's not possible. Guess this is just a 1st gen thing..
By the way, love this truck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a follow up to my earlier post {#19} I stopped at the C.A.T. Scale on the way home from Deming yesterday and found the results interesting.

My trailer has picked up another 40 pounds, new total = 2,580} which I attribute to the extra tools I added to the RZR {Tow strap, come-a-long, lug wrench, shovel,100' 3/8" line etc.}

The front axle weighed in at 2,680 - max is 3131

The rear axle weighed in at 2640 - max is 3219

Total weight {with two adults and a weeks worth of "stuff"} came in at 7,900 - Max 9,987

No need for a weight distribution hitch with the truck and trailer sitting near dead level.

The ride and handling were nothing short of amazing. The total trip was 1,455.5 and I averaged 16.1 mpg cruising at 65. Keep in mind the number of mountains to be found between Tucson {3,300'} and Angel Fire {9,000'} not to mention four trips up and over Bobcat Pass at 9,820' twice with with 4 adults and twice with 4 adults and the 2,680# RZR.

This was my first serious trip with the new TRUCK and I could not be more pleased with the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am frustrated with my 2018 Ridgeline primarily because the bed is so small. I can't get a cooler in without opening two of three segments of the Honda bed cover. That's because the bed is so shallow. The Honda bed cover is just plain awful. It covers a third of bed unless you remove it, which is not trivial. Plus it's heavy. Very poor design. The storage well under the bed is a gimmick. If you put in something heavy, you'll break your back getting it out. And there's no lock on the tailgate....an egregious omission (you can buy one that works in tandem with the flawed bed cover, but my dealer where service is a zoo knew nothing about it).

The Ridgeline is nice to drive, but honestly, it's not really a truck.

Some of the safety features such as the disclaimer that comes up every time you start the vehicle treats you like an idiot. You have to hit ok like you agree to pay attention to the road to get further functionality from the display. Each time is like interacting with a lawyer. I love the message "steering required." Really?

I gave up my 2011 Silverado and wish I didn't.
If I were you I would trade it for a Silverado soon before it depreciates any more. The Ridgeline is not for everyone but it is a lot cheaper to figure that out before you buy one. Good Luck

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I love the comments on Facebook when articles pop up from Motortrend, C&D, R&T, etc. that constantly rank the RL as the best mid-size truck. Such incredibly original and intelligent responses such as, "Not a real truck", "SUV with a birth defect", or "can't take it off road" are often seen. I just keep happily rolling along in my 13 year old near-perfect TRUCK.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love the comments on Facebook when articles pop up from Motortrend, C&D, R&T, etc. that constantly rank the RL as the best mid-size truck. Such incredibly original and intelligent responses such as, "Not a real truck", "SUV with a birth defect", or "can't take it off road" are often seen. I just keep happily rolling along in my 13 year old near-perfect TRUCK.
They almost always portray the towing capacity as a substantial negative, and while it isn’t at the top of the class, 5000 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. It’s more than most (not all) need, and to me well worth the tradeoff of the amazing handling, in-bed trunk, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
They almost always portray the towing capacity as a substantial negative, and while it isn’t at the top of the class, 5000 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. It’s more than most (not all) need, and to me well worth the tradeoff of the amazing handling, in-bed trunk, etc.
I can't recall the specific numbers or immediately locate the source, but a few years ago Toyota conducted research and how much towing capacity people wanted in a truck. Most answered with a number considerably higher than 5,000 lbs. The next question was how much weight they actually towed. Most answered with a number significantly less than 5,000 lbs.

A good friend of mine bought another F-250 King Ranch diesel to tow a 4,000 lb. travel trailer a half-dozen times a year with. With the price of diesel and 14 MPG, he pays dearly for the excessive and unnecessary capacity the other 350 days out of the year when he's driving back and forth to work.

Admittedly, the big, burly man would look odd driving something like a Ridgeline, but he doesn't seem to care what people think about him otherwise. Before his two F-250's, he owned an Explorer, Taurus, Sedona, Sedan de Ville, and Gran Prix. :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I got the “it looks like a minivan” then my friend kept calling it a minivan afterwards. I told him he should go stand on street corners and yell out his bs at passing vehicles. I like how the G2 looks, a lot. I like that it was designed this way and I like that it severely pisses people that it exists, just like my old G1. It’s a vehicle that forces others to look in their own mirrors and see their superficial, shallow, and hypocritical behavior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steering required only shows up if you have “lane keep assist” on (which is only an option on the E and BE).
Yes, the lane-keep assist function will time out after 20-30 sec if no movement of the steering wheel is detected (and the "steering required" message appears). That appears to be a safety feature to ensure the driver remains in control of the steering.

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Moderator's note: This thread has been Moderated and posts have been removed due to personal attacks. These acts are in violation of this site's Terms of Use. Continued violations will result in additional action being taken.

Please Stay on "Topic" or remove yourself from this thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay... as far as coolers go, my Igloo Koolmate 40 fits perfectly under the Truxedo X15 cover and as an added bonus, plugs right in to the inverter. Disclaimer: not intended as a slap against Bakflip or Yeti owners!

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are coolers that will fit under the OEM Tonneau. If you need the wheels, then you can get collapsible dollies fairly inexpensively, and they'll work quite well.

I found the shallow bed a bit of a hassle, and in a perfect world, another 1 to 1-1/2" would have been convenient, but it is what it is. So I buy some new stuff, and it costs me around $60. Hardly breaking the bank.

The storage well under the bed is a gimmick. If you put in something heavy, you'll break your back getting it out. And there's no lock on the tailgate....an egregious omission (you can buy one that works in tandem with the flawed bed cover, but my dealer where service is a zoo knew nothing about it).
You do know the tailgate can swing to the side as well as up and down, right? I can access the trunk quite easily, and having put all sorts of luggage and gear in there, I can tell you it's no gimmick.

...now the in-bed speaker system...yeah, that's a gimmick--a cool one, but still a gimmick.

Honda now offers locking handles, but, yes, the dealerships are still kind of ignorant about the truck, and this is one vehicle where the customer has to school the service personnel, not to mention the salesmen.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
If TX didn't charge so much for vanity plates (the last thing I am is vain) I'd get one that said idgaf for the folks who don't understand that this is actually a truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve had my Ridgeline for about two weeks now. And honestly I’ve received positive feedback so far. They do ask “so why did you choose a ridgeline”...after I give them a long list of reasons, they say ok...and realize that it makes sense. I didn’t want another full-size truck to haul around. But I still need to haul things that I don’t want in a SUV... After a year of reasearch and a morning of looking at midsize trucks up close. The ridgeline was the clear winner...
**** if they do have comments, they are smart and keep them to theirselves. 😂

21 - 37 of 37 Posts