Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really hard to get good pictures - or maybe phone cameras are not the way to go about it.

Either way, the truck looks so much better in real life, unless of course you are talking about the professional brochure type pics.

I can't seem to get a good shot

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's really hard to get good pictures - or maybe phone cameras are not the way to go about it.
Phone cameras are not the way to go about almost any photo. Not to say you cannot get a good shot with one, but they severely limit what you can do. OTOH, most of the photos of RL here are more what I would call "documentation" or "informational" photos and not really intended to be fine photography. To get a good shot, follow the basics:

1) Good skills
2) Good location
3) Good lighting
4) Good equipment

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Either way, the truck looks so much better in real life, unless of course you are talking about the professional brochure type pics.

The G2 and I have this in common.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
This thread contains some G2 photos including at least one taken with a "real" DSLR camera (not a smartphone or "point and shoot" camera). Without giving a lesson on photography, one of the many problems with smartphones is that they have no optical zoom. Objects closer to the lens appear larger. If you take a 3/4 profile photo of something (like a vehicle), the parts of the vehicle closer to lens (such as the front fender) will appear too large and out of proportion. The same thing happens when you take a selfie - your nose looks big and your ears look small. When you increase the distance between the subject and the camera and offset by optically zooming or cropping, you minimize this effect. Some of the newest smartphones can take great-looking photos that "wow" a lot of people, but there is no way around the physics of light - a "real" camera with multiple lenses and large apertures will always take a more accurate photo than any smartphone will ever be capable of. Many people, especially those of us who dabble in photography and most certainly professionals, can spot the difference between photos taken by a "real" camera and a smartphone or point-and-shoot immediately.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Many people, especially those of us who dabble in photography and most certainly professionals, can spot the difference between photos taken by a "real" camera and a smartphone or point-and-shoot immediately.
Agree! Although phones have allowed us to see many cool things since they are everywhere all the time, they simply cannot do as good a job. Physics and optics guarantee that.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Perhaps I have been confused by media recently, but I thought that the cameras inside of phones could only take video of police officers. They can take pictures of Ridgelines too? Oh happy day!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The trick with phone camera optics is that they have a tiny focal length in their lens stack. Even moving up to a pocket point-n-shoot will alleviate some of the fisheye-ness of a phone camera. The real hot ticket is a long-lens high quality DSLR or mirrorless camera.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

Of any color? Or just the black...because the BE is more than just black, It is super black. It is dark matter black. It might be the paint they use to make planes invisible. Not on radar, in person! It turns an object into a beautiful shadow. Honda sent out a space craft to the center of the milky way galaxy and our very own black hole and scoped up some black hole matter, brought it back and turned it into paint to paint the black edition. That is why people are drawn to the BE, it is made of black hole matter and you cannot fight the dark matter traction.

or it could be crappy cell phones.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I don't know about that. I think the thing looks good. Some people whine about the front end, but as a package, everything flows together. All the pre-release photos looked fine to me and nothing has changed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Heck, I think the back end looks good, even imaged in poor light with a subpar cell phone camera full of lens distortion and digital noise!

The more I look at the car from all angles, I see it as its own thing, and the more I like it. It's not at all like the Gen1, which is as it's supposed to be. I agree that there are always unflattering angles and light and perspectives caused by lenses. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not a camera lens.

That car in the background... the design was polarizing, drawing vitriolic reviews. And now it looks like many other cars that copied the design!

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't saying it's not a good looking truck, I really was just commenting on how hard it is to take a decent picture with a cell phone.

I used to take pictures with a Nikon SLR before the world went digital, I never invested in a digital camera with removable lenses ( meaning not a crappy digital fixed focus zoom).

Anyway, with nothing but a phone, taking pictures of the Ridgeline have been less than stellar , your results may have been better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts