Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a self-employed financial consultant that is looking at both the Tundra and the Ridgeline. I currently drive a 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab Chevy. I love to hunt and fish and I pull a 19 foot bay boat from time to time.

My current truck is to much truck for me, but I'm worried the Ridge won't be enough. I'm attracted to it because of the ride and refinement which will let me take clients to lunch in a very comfortable setting. I also like the mileage as I drive 30,000 miles per year and my big truck is killing me on diesel.

My biggest concern if pulling the boat. If anyone has any thoughts or input, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
How much does your boat weigh? That's the critical factor. We tow a 2500 lb tent trailer and it tows like a dream.

Have you driven both? From your description of the other needs and concerns you have, this is a no brainer. Get the Ridge, join the cool factor, love your ride.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Son and I have a 19' Blue Wave bay boat and my Ridgeline tows it just fine. It's flat down here but I wouldn't hesitate towing this boat most anywhere.

Tiger

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had always assumed I was going to buy a Tundra. I have been looking at the Tundra on and off for the past 6 months. I did not have any timetable for the purchase. As soon as I saw the Ridgeline I bought it within 24 hours. And I'm far from an impulsive buyer. I love the truck. I keep getting positive comments from people I known and people I don't know. :cool: I love my Truck.

Tundra ... What's a Tundra? :D It's just another vehicle that everybody has. Nothing unique about it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got a pristine 2000 Tundra from my dad a year ago and drove it for 10,000 miles. I drove the Ridgeline for 5 minutes and knew I wanted it. Drove it off the lot a couple of hours later.

My main complaint about the Tundra was the bounce factor going through dips in the road - we have a lot here in SB. The bounce may be reduced in the newer Tundras, but I didn't even think to try one so I don't know.

·
Registered
774 Posts
WhiteRL said:
I had always assumed I was going to buy a Tundra. I have been looking at the Tundra on and off for the past 6 months. I did not have any timetable for the purchase. As soon as I saw the Ridgeline I bought it within 24 hours. And I'm far from an impulsive buyer. I love the truck. I keep getting positive comments from people I known and people I don't know. :cool: I love my Truck.

Tundra ... What's a Tundra? :D It's just another vehicle that everybody has. Nothing unique about it.

Don't want to offend anybody driving a very competent truck like the Tundra but I couldn't agree with you more. The Tundra (and everything like it) is old school. The Ridgeline is a glimpse into the future.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's a reason or two........

The destination charge on the Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav is $50 less than on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab

Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav gets 3 more mpg than Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab in Highway Driving.

The Turning Diameter on the Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav is 42.6 while 47.0 on the Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav features Disc while the Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab has Drum.

Traction Control is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Front Side Airbag is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Side Curtain Airbag is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Vehicle Stability Control System is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Tire Pressure Monitor is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

NHTSA Front Driver Crash Test rating is 5* on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav whereas 4* on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Automatic Climate Control is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab

Dual Zone Climate Control is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Air Filtration is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Power Sunroof/Moonroof is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Navigation System is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Leather-Trimmed Seats are Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Front Heated Seats are Standard on the Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav while Optional on the Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Heated Mirrors are Standard on the Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav while Optional on the Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Remote Fuel Filler Door Release is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Maintenance Interval Indicator is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Homelink Remote System is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab

CD Changer is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Satellite Radio is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

MP3 external input jack is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Not Available on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab

Locking Bed Storage is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav has 522 less pounds of Curb Weight for Automatic Transmission than Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav has 1.2 more inches of Front Track Width than Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav has 4.7 less inches in Height than Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Total compared prices: Ridgeline 35K Tundra 38K
Comparitivly speaking of course :D

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
OK, I have to admit that I didn't read most of Bellteck's reasons, but did he mention that the Ridgeline will fit in your garage and the Tundra won't, unless you have an extra large garage?

(OK, it might fit inch for inch with no room to walk around it.)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Outstanding, bellteck, outstanding!!! :D

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Where do you find the time to find, collate, and type out all of that info?

Great job, by the way.

I had a 2000 Tundra and loved it. Very nice truck. I traded it because it wasn't going to work out very well with a baby. Hoisting up a car seat into that truck would have gotten tiresome pretty quickly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
so basically, if you don't need the extra towing, loading and 8 ft bed, get the ridgeline.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a Toyota fan for years. As a matter of fact, I owned a 2000 Tundra and traded it in on a 2004 Tundra Double Cab in December of 2003. I really liked the ride and the interior room in the Double Cab but the truck was just too long. The handling could be rated as very good, I suppose. The gas mileage wasn't. I had read about the Ridgeline and was impressed with what I read but had no intention of even trying one out, much less buying one. I drove by a Honda dealership one afternoon and curiosity got the best of me. I thought "Well, driving one couldn't hurt". Let me just say that I have never been so impressed with a test drive......period!!!! The ride, the handling, the interior room, fit and finish quality, the features.... I'm not an impulsive buyer either.....never have been!
But I knew that I really had to have this truck eventually. Eventually came one week later and I am just as pleased with it and as excited about driving it as I was the day I bought it....maybe even more so. The Tundras are great trucks and I would be the first to tell you so but there is something about the Ridgeline, the looks, the drive, everything that just makes me glad I bought it.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the club computerguy. The Tundras are very nice (I had a 2000) but I agree that there is something different about the Ridgeline.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
CRGHILL,

I'm curious what your decision was, or will be. Please let us know, as this is like a "who shot JR" cliffhanger!

BTW, I was also considering either a Tacoma or a Tundra when I came across the Ridgeline. I bought the Honda the 2nd day it was out! You'll know why when you have yours.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Arteegee,
You made the best choice with the Ridgeline, I had a Nissan Armarda, the engine was great, really powerfull, but it stopped at every gas station er passed. Okus you would have had the problem with the Nissans brakes, all they ca do is skim the rotor & replace the brade pads every 3000 - 5000 miles. There are no part to fix them. If you are not into any heavy towing or hauliing, the Ridgeline will be great, good ride, handling & better fuel ecomany. Dependanyt on your needs, the Honda is the better choice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought a Honda Ridgeline three weeks ago. I had a 2002 Tundra Access Cab that I loved. However the back seat was too small to carry passengers comfortably for any distance. I traded in my AC for a 2004 DC. I loved the DC on the road and it had more than ample room for passengers. However, for my needs of driving and parking mostly in heavely congested area, the DC was just too big. Since I never used either Tundra as "a truck", the Ridgeline gives me the best of both worlds.

I had no problems with either Tundra. I loved them both and would highly recommend both the AC and DC if they fit ones needs. Since I have owned 11 Honda's since 1984 and currently own a 1999 Prelude and a 2003 Pilot I felt very comfortable buying another Honda product

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just Got My Ridgeline As Well I Can Pull My Brother-in-laws 20 Foot Rinker With No Problem So You Should Be Totally Fine..:d

·
Registered
35 Posts
bellteck said:
Front Side Airbag is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Side Curtain Airbag is Standard on Ridgeline RTL w/ Moonroof/ XM Radio/ Nav but Optional on Tundra 4X4 Limited Double Cab.

Total compared prices: Ridgeline 35K Tundra 38K
Comparitivly speaking of course :D
Not only that but Toyota decided to NOT make ANY Tundra DC's with sidecurtian airbags at all (yet as of Nov 05) as far as the toyota dealer can tell. So, it might as well be not availible.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts