Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah... Already made a post responding to a guy who said that after watching this video he was going to buy a Tacoma. I told him "Good luck with that with all the QC issues those are having!".

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Anyone who buys a first year model is looking for these issues to present themselves. Early Adopters, thank you for discovering all these issues for the rest of us at your expense. Same thing happened in 2005. IMHO, don't buy a 2017 Ridgeline, let the problems get settled out.

Reactions: Ridgemeister

·
Registered
128 Posts
The catch 22 is that if no one buys the 2017 there will be no 2018. Just the nature of the beast. It's how the dealer/mfg deals with the teething pains is the true test.

Reactions: hiconehonda

·
Registered
160 Posts
The catch 22 is that if no one buys the 2017 there will be no 2018. Just the nature of the beast. It's how the dealer/mfg deals with the teething pains is the true test.
That's fine, just so it's not me...

Like I posted previously:
First year model buyers are guinea pigs, they just don't know it. Automakers rely on 1st year model buyers being the first on the block to have the shiny NEW model. Avoid it, let them work out the bugs a bit before buying...You'll end up with a much better vehicle...and you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not purchased a first-year Honda model, but I have purchased a first-year from a different manufacturer.

Honda is a small company, when compared to their peers. They have a lot to lose when they introduce a new model, maybe more so than the larger companies. They can't afford a big miss, so they invest significantly in R&D and testing. It is unlikely that there is an issue that wasn't known before release, and a decision was made to take a calculated risk to move forward or delay.

The vehicle meets estimates and expectations, or it is not released. There is a certain amount of validation of the initial assumptions going on now. No offense, but it doesn't make sense to let customers test the product, especially when so much investment has already been made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I am vintage, a Wife, Mother & Grandma and eager to get on with my purchase of a first year Ridgeline...who knows if I will be around for another? There will always be backseat drivers and nothing in life is perfect. I will deal with any items that come to my attention with my new truck (2 days old-vin: 11### in an adult manner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought a first year, first model 1997 Honda CRV. Zero issues for 6 years until my newly licensed son totaled it. So I immediately bought a Gen 2 2003 Honda CRV. I just sold that 13 years later a couple months ago. Very few issues and neither of those had to go in for an warranty issues. Except the 2003 was part of the airbag recall.

I've had the wiring harness replaced on my 2017 BE. I'm counting on Honda to be on top of this resulting in a typical Honda like trouble free vehicle. There's Lemon Laws and other options if for some reason Honda has swayed from their reputation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just the title is "pos", Honda's do not suck, If he doesnt like it, have him buy something else, and understand that nothings absolute perfect, its not the space shuttle, but honda's are better then the rest,and the rest of us will enjoy honda products.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just the title is "pos", Honda's do not suck, If he doesnt like it, have him buy something else, and understand that nothings absolute perfect, its not the space shuttle, but honda's are better then the rest,and the rest of us will enjoy honda products.
He had every reason to say what he did. His truck was a lemon with numerous issues. His dealer f'd him off and so did Honda Corporate. They had every chance to make it right and didn't.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He had every reason to say what he did. His truck was a lemon with numerous issues. His dealer f'd him off and so did Honda Corporate. They had every chance to make it right and didn't.
I agree he wasn't treated properly by either his dealer or corporate, assuming everything went as his story laid out.
I also believe in every assembly line run there is going to be a percentage of product that's turned out less than perfect. This is true of cars, trucks, motorcycles, IP Routers, ceiling fans, HVAC systems, cat trees, air fryers, furniture, etc. Vehicles have multiple integrated systems, therefore a much greater chance of some system issue(s). GTRDone was, unfortunately, one of those with an RL w/ a number of initial issues.

I have an RTL-T w/ 36xx VIN. I have no issues that I can see (or that bother me enough to even call an issue, such as the ever so slight rocking at stops, that I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read about it here).
I'm happy w/ my 1st year model. There *will* be improvements in successive years -- always are. That won't diminish my satisfaction w/ the 2017. I also buy 1st year model cell phones, TVs, Smart Watches, and computers. I was also the 1st home buyer in my neighborhood of 200 houses, all new models. Sh!t happens. Can't live life waiting for someone else to take the step to see if they blow up first... I enjoy being an early adopter... Most often it works out... Once in a while not. C'est la vie.

Honda is typically a pretty good bet... One guy's lousy experience won't change that, or send me running to Toyota, the recall king of the industry...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Even if the POS story is only half true, the dealer/HOA needed to pony up. HOA needs every leverage and value add niche their dealrer network to differentiate their products and service. I know Subaru of America, first hand, would not have treated their new car customer that way.

Point of reference, the number of recalls a auto/truck manufacturer has is no correlation to overall product quality. Now, I am not going down the path when an automobile manufacturer completely lies to their customers, that's a whole other can of worms.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Doesn't anyone inspect and test drive cars anymore? Even though it is new there could be issues. Personally I wouldn't have paid or left the lot with any issues with door alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks to me like some of those issues will never be fixed properly. Not sure why Honda or the dealer did not buy the car back or et him another one as a good wll jesture. It has been my experience that GM will step up in these things......but also more likely you will have problems like this with GM.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I bought a first year, first model 1997 Honda CRV. Zero issues for 6 years until my newly licensed son totaled it. So I immediately bought a Gen 2 2003 Honda CRV. I just sold that 13 years later a couple months ago. Very few issues and neither of those had to go in for an warranty issues. Except the 2003 was part of the airbag recall.
2002 was the first year for the Gen 2 CRV. We bought a 2003 CRV as well, just sold it less than a year ago. Very few issues, outside of regular maintenance and only 2-3 recalls to include the airbag IIRC. Only 90k when we sold it, it went for a premium. We replaced it with a Subaru Forester which I think is the better vehicle in2016. Still believe buying a first year vehicle is a gamble. My 2004 Nissan TITAN had too many problems for Nissan's first year at a full sized pickup. Loved the truck, hated the trips to the dealership. Traded in on a 2007 RL. I has had it's share of problems (I post my maintenance costs/issues annually on my anniversary date).

Reactions: Ridgemeister

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Looks to me like some of those issues will never be fixed properly. Not sure why Honda or the dealer did not buy the car back or et him another one as a good wll jesture. It has been my experience that GM will step up in these things......but also more likely you will have problems like this with GM.
Well, I'm not surprised that he had this kind of problem since I had major issues with a new '16 Taco 4x4 Ltd and neither Toyota nor my dealer would do anything at all. Toyota's response was "functions as designed" and the dealer regularly said "can't do anything unless Toyota issues a fix", even though they acknowledged the issue. After buying over a dozen vehicles from this dealership group (same fleet manager) over the last 15 years, and referring them numerous customers, who also bought there, they lost my business forever. I sent a letter to both explaining why I was getting rid of their $40k problem truck. Dealership never responded. Toyota called and said "thank you for your input."

In spite of it's flaws, the G3 Tacoma sells well so Toyota doesn't care. Same here with Honda. The RL is a hot commodity, and neither HOA nor the dealer wants to take any financial hit. Sad; however, this is the way most businesses operate. Very few do "good will" anymore as they are not concerned with losing a single customer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Was there no option for Lemon Law in this case? Or did the video OP just give up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does TX have a Lemon Law? If so,

Start documenting attempts to fix. My brother ran into problems with his new Tundra several years ago. The dealer repeatedly attempted to fix the problems without success. When the dealer, in Georgia, refused to buy the vehicle back, he contacted an attorney. Long story made short, Toyota agreed to buy the vehicle after being contacted by the attorney about the possibility of a lawsuit.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Was there no option for Lemon Law in this case? Or did the video OP just give up?
Read this thread, the dealer screwed him by stating they only had the vehicle once, vs 3 or 4 times, then how the district manager acted/treated him pretty much ended any chance of resolving it. Lemon laws are different per state, and IIRC, none of this met the requirements in Texas, safety or number of attempts. Also check out this thread.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/142561-honda-customer-service-dept-blowing-me-off.html

1 - 20 of 57 Posts