Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due to pick up my new Green RTL this afternoon but I still worry that I am buying a vehicle that is plagued with problems. After reading all the posts about water leaks and windshield wind noise I am left wondering if those posting problems are a small minority of Ridgeline owners or just the tip of the iceberg of problems that are out there. I love the vehicle, this being my second 4-door pickup, and really hope to spend more time enjoying it than taking to the dealer for repairs. Also does anyone actually know the production date that the water leak problem was fixed on the assembly line???

·
Registered
224 Posts
Relax and enjoy your new Ridgeline. I've had mine since mid-May and have had none of the problems. Granted I'm only at 2500 miles, but so far it's been flawless. And it's been fun!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've had my RTS for 3 weeks now, been through a couple of washes, some light rain and haven't noticed any leaks. I also don't have any wind noise...not a single problem thus far! Hope you have the same luck as I so you can relax and enjoy your new RL :)

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had my Ridgeline for about 3 weeks now. It's been through two carwashes, and a couple of really hard downpours. No leaks.

I love mine! :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just remember that on the net more people tend to post complaints. Those that no have a complaints don't neccesarily have a need to tell someone. They're happy. I don't think if you added up the leaking problems it would add to a percentage that would be cause for alarm. I do sympathize with those that have problems because I love this truck. I just got back from a trip from CT to ME and back this weekend in the pouring rain. No probs here after 5k miles. :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Relax, enjoy the ride and experience of purchasing a vehicle that I am sure that you will grow more excited about every day that you own it. There are other threads on this site that address a production change that was made in late May and affected VIN numbers higher than 516000. My Ridgeline was built just a few days and a few hundred units after the change was made. It has been absolutely flawless. No water leak, no wind noise. If you have the time to search and read all of the various posts about the water leak issue and the wind noise, I think that you will find that the water leak issue only affected a very small number of early production models and has long since been corrected. The wind noise issue has apparently affected a higher number of vehicles but, again, at least as far as I have been able to determine after following posts on this site, it appears to affect vehicles made prior to the production change. It sounds like there are two different sources of wind noise. Vehicles can have wind noise from the 'A" pillar, the rear roof trim panel, or none at all. I suggest that the vast majority of vehicles have none at all.

Now for the disclaimer. All of this is simply my personal opinion and is based on reading posts on this site by owners and my own experience as a Ridgeline owner. Although I suspect that Ridgelines with VIN numbers lower than 516000 have been sold and fixed by now, there could still be some on dealer’s lots. Check the VIN number of the vehicle that you are purchasing. Test drive it and listen for the wind noise. Unless it is a very early production model I seriously doubt that you could find one that still has the water leak issue on the dealer’s lot that has not been sealed and fixed by the dealer. Most importantly, you are buying a Honda. I never would consider purchasing a first year of production vehicle other than from Honda. If there are any problems with your vehicle you can have confidence that they will be taken care of. I really do believe that these two issues have been resolved at the factory. Current owners that still have the wind noise are suffering with having to diagnose and have the problems fixed. Thanks to this ROC site, owners can share their experiences - and their troubles - and the solutions. Very few other vehicles have anything even close to this ROC site for owners. Spend some time on this site reading posts and I am sure that you will read owners comments that express more excitement and enthusiasm for the Ridgeline than any other vehicle that they have ever owned. That absolutely is the case with me and at 54 I have owned quite a few vehicles. Read carefully and you will read the same thing from owners that have had either or both problems. Don't worry, be Happy!

The bottom line is - Go for it! Enjoy the ride. Welcome to the ROC!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Red Ridgeline with an early production date. I had a cracked windshield on the inside. There were no leaks and no wind noise. Honda insisted that they replace the windshield which they did. Still no leaks and no wind noise. I now have 14,506 miles on mine and no problems. I travel over some rough roads and this truck is nice.

I will buy another one when I get enough miles on this one.

Tiger

·
Registered
383 Posts
CDN VIN # <1000

No leaks (and we have had more rain last month then we normally get in a year!) and very little wind noise that I attribute to the rack.

All other minor problems (faulty MP3 player, twitchy strut, minor adjustment to door) have been looked after.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my silver with moonroof, leather for six weeks...Not one issue..go for it. I am a Yamaha motorcycle dealer and until Yamaha builds cars and trucks I will keep buying Honda's. You will love this truck. I have owned a Ford Sport Trac, Toyota Tundra, Toyota Tacoma, and the Honda Pilot. This is the best of all!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
VIN <516000 + 7 weeks of ownership = NOT ONE PROBLEM

NOT ONE PROBLEM =
No water leaks
No wind noise
No creaking steering wheel
No spontaneous combustion
No iguanas in the gas tank
No Canadian Honda factory workers in the trunk
No problems!

Nothing but a true joy to own and drive!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Skywalker said:
CDN VIN # 000736

No leaks (and we have had more rain last month then we normally get in a year!) and very little wind noise that I attribute to the rack.

All other minor problems (faulty MP3 player, twitchy strut, minor adjustment to door) have been looked after.

:)
Have you made any adjustments to you roof rack to minimize wind noise? I've tried adjusting the cross members back which has worked slightly, but still have a rather loud noise.

May the force be with you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of the people that have responded to my post. I feel much more confindent that buying the Ridgeline is the right decision. Now the problem will be how to keep the wife driving the Odessey and leave some time in the truck for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
3+ months and 4,000 miles without a single problem. My RTL was delivered to the dealership during the first week of April.
The driving experience has become better each and every day. :)

L

·
0 Posts
jch said:
VIN <516000 + 7 weeks of ownership = NOT ONE PROBLEM

NOT ONE PROBLEM =
No water leaks
No wind noise
No creaking steering wheel
No spontaneous combustion
No iguanas in the gas tank
No Canadian Honda factory workers in the trunk
No problems!

Nothing but a true joy to own and drive!
Thanks for the hearty laugh this morning jch!! :D

Vin # 1800. Took it home March 2...now has...14K.
Had a leak...its gone...had a creaky steering wheel...its gone...had a fixation on a vehicle at my age...IT'S NOT GONE!!
Welcome, congrats..enjoy the ride and have a great time being a ROC head!!

J.C. :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
USARSHOE said:
I am due to pick up my new Green RTL this afternoon but I still worry that I am buying a vehicle that is plagued with problems.
You see that Vertrkr, you almost scared someone away from the RL. You might be the one effecting the sales. :D :D (just kiddin) ;)

I've got 4,000 + miles and so far the RL has been flawless, though sometiimes I look at it suspiciously out of the corner of my eye. Thanks Vertrkr. ;)

Glad you got all your issues addressed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
Have you made any adjustments to you roof rack to minimize wind noise? I've tried adjusting the cross members back which has worked slightly, but still have a rather loud noise.

May the force be with you.

I will try adjusting my rack as you suggest, thanks for the tip!
Alternatively, I found turning up the volume of the last inserted MP3 disk also works well. :D

L

·
0 Posts
USARSHOE said:
Thanks to all of the people that have responded to my post. I feel much more confindent that buying the Ridgeline is the right decision. Now the problem will be how to keep the wife driving the Odessey and leave some time in the truck for me.
US...all you have to do is take her for a ride as she enjoys the comfort, room and pride sitting in the passenger seat and she'll be hooked and it won't matter whether she drives or rides, as long as she is in the Ridgeline.
TECHNICLLY...Lady Ridgena is mine but I have no issue when Todd wants to drive it anytime he wants.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a ridgeline owner, I've had a couple of things that irritated me. But to tell you the truth, they were easy fixes and would not deter me to buy one, if I knew what I know now about the truck.

Relax, it's awesome. You'll have a big grin on your face when you get to claim it as your own.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have an early VIN. I had some issues (tailgate, leak, and wind noise). They are all fixed (still some slight wind noise). I would still buy another one. My wife hopes they make an SUV out of this body style so she can get that.

My posts on issues I was having are to serve as information for other that may have similiar issues. This is especially important on a first year vehicle. You want to know that you are not alone on that island.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts