Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous daily driver was a 2015 Fit EX with the CVT and paddle shifters. When in the sports mode and using the paddle shifters you couldn’t accidently over rev the engine. The computer would automatically shift to the next higher before red line. Great safety feature.

So I noticed in the Ridgeline if I take off in low and let up on the gas it will shift to 2nd but from there it will go right into redline. o_O The computer won’t shift to a safer gear nor will a rev limiter kick in. Wow! An inattentive driver could do serious engine damage. Did Honda skip the rev limiter on the RL or does it activate further into redline than I went?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It won't let you over-rev the engine in the Ridgeline. The engine will bounce off the rev-limiter and you can probably run at 6800rpm all day if you want, but most folks won't do that. Granted, 6800rpm isn't great for the engine, but it shouldn't destroy it. That engine should run happily at 5500-6000rpm all day long.

Honda has a great DCT in their GoldWing. If and when their engineers can figure out how to get that technology into something like the Ridgeline, we will have NO complaints about the transmission anymore. I'd even take it over a manual trans.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It won't let you over-rev the engine in the Ridgeline. The engine will bounce off the rev-limiter and you can probably run at 6800rpm all day if you want, but most folks won't do that. Granted, 6800rpm isn't great for the engine, but it shouldn't destroy it. That engine should run happily at 5500-6000rpm all day long.

Honda has a great DCT in their GoldWing. If and when their engineers can figure out how to get that technology into something like the Ridgeline, we will have NO complaints about the transmission anymore. I'd even take it over a manual trans.
Thanks for the reply, Do you know what RPM the rev limiter activates? Or will it shift to the next higher gear before it activates?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Do you know what RPM the rev limiter activates? Or will it shift to the next higher gear before it activates?
I don't know the exact rpm where the limiter kicks in. The trans will not shift to a higher gear, but will stay bouncing off the rev limiter as long as you keep the throttle there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the exact rpm where the limiter kicks in. The trans will not shift to a higher gear, but will stay bouncing off the rev limiter as long as you keep the throttle there.
My concerns are diminished. Now I feel better knowing I won't blow it up. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My previous daily driver was a 2015 Fit EX with the CVT and paddle shifters. When in the sports mode and using the paddle shifters you couldn’t accidently over rev the engine. The computer would automatically shift to the next higher before red line. Great safety feature.

So I noticed in the Ridgeline if I take off in low and let up on the gas it will shift to 2nd but from there it will go right into redline. o_O The computer won’t shift to a safer gear nor will a rev limiter kick in. Wow! An inattentive driver could do serious engine damage. Did Honda skip the rev limiter on the RL or does it activate further into redline than I went?
lol CVTs don't shift. they just stay in the peak power band. all you were doing with the paddle snifters was preventing it from staying in the peak

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol CVTs don't shift. they just stay in the peak power band. all you were doing with the paddle snifters was preventing it from staying in the peak
Of course the CVT don't shift as traditional transmissions would. But in the sport mode when using the paddle shifters you are holding the transmission in any one of the seven preprogrammed positions and you can shift up or down to the next preprogrammed position. Therefor you are shifting. Just because the CVT don't have gears per say doesn't mean it don't shift . Even in drive it's moving to higher or lower gear ratios. Hence it's shifting. Only a 1 speed automatic doesn't shift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts