Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Ridgeliners,
There was a thread talking about the remote start, and i thought there are some special thing that need to be known if you want this feature on your Ridge. Yes remote start is available from DEI. Yes they can use your factory key/remote. Mine is set up that i press lock 3 times vehicle starts. Yes the ac/heat comes on but no accessories, ex: radio & power outlets. The down side, you will have to sacrifice your valet key. A key is needed up under the dash to make the remote start module able to crank your Ridge. Also once the vehicle cranks, the remote on your key will not work, meaning you will have to unlock the door manually by putting the key in the door. The truck thinks there is a key in the switch, thus ignoring input from the remotes. I used mine for the first time today as it was 47 degrees outside, I cranked it, I gave it time to get warm, I came out put my key in the door and got in. Unfortunately with how integrated the systems are on this truck this is the only way to have it right now, until a manufacturer can come up with something else.
Just letting ya' know.
R.C.U.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just had an Astro Start installed today. Module available so no sacrificing the valet key. There are a few models available with the options being what you can do with the remote......for the most part the electronics are the same.

http://www.astroflex.com/index.php?module=CMS&id=15

This is the 3rd vehicle that I've had this brand installed in. My source in Edmonton, who does many dealer installs and carries 15 brands of starters, told me that Astro Start was his most reliable line.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
rms56 said:
I just had an Astro Start installed today. Module available so no sacrificing the valet key. There are a few models available with the options being what you can do with the remote......for the most part the electronics are the same.

This is the 3rd vehicle that I've had this brand installed in. My source in Edmonton, who does many dealer installs and carries 15 brands of starters, told me that Astro Start was his most reliable line.
Closest installer for me is 93 miles away. The plus side, it's in a different state with a lower sales tax. :D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sorry your having issues, I went with DEI.... gave up the RL remote and opted for DEI remote. I use the remote to open doors as well as start it.
Advantage of DEI remote, works 1000' plus... You may be able to find a shop that can fix your issue of using the key to manually get in... my shop wired all 4 windows to go up and down from the remote as well .... Let me know if you need wiring info... was posted a few months back and I will find it if you want

·
Registered
346 Posts
swampler said:
Closest installer for me is 93 miles away. The plus side, it's in a different state with a lower sales tax. :D

Make sure you call them first. Not everyone that carries the Astro Start has accessed the modules. I thought I saw the modules somewhere on the Astro site.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I HAD A NEW ULTRA REMOTE STARTER PUT IN MY 2006 RIDGELINE LOVE IT

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honda is coming out with a remote start accessory soon. I know you will be able to add them to the 08, don't know about earlier models.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a CompuStar, though I don't recall the model right now. It did use my valet key, and came with a second remote. But I can still lock/unlock once the truck is running. My range is something like 3/4 mile! Once started, all accessories work just like when you start the truck with a key in the ignition. I love it. My only complaint is that the Honda security system is seperate, so sometimes, even though I unlock with my CompuStar remote, the Honda system wants to relock it after 30 seconds. Or if I use the Honda key remote to lock and then try to unlock with the CompuStar remote, it triggers the alarm. This is a wiring issue, not a CompuStar issue as far as I can tell since I had the same unit put on my wife's Odyssey and don't have this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I HAD A NEW ULTRA REMOTE STARTER PUT IN MY 2006 RIDGELINE LOVE IT
Yes, I had to give up the valet key. The lock & unlock are
on the key fob. It will start a good distance away; easily
100 yds . The lock & unlock works with hitting the fob one
time. When locked the antenna for the remote mechanism
will have a light flash; a small light . It works great .
Joe from INDIANA.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yes, I had to give up the valet key. The lock & unlock are
on the key fob. It will start a good distance away; easily
100 yds . The lock & unlock works with hitting the fob one
time. When locked the antenna for the remote mechanism
will have a light flash; a small light . It works great .
Joe from INDIANA.
If you wan't go back to the dealer and tell them to use a keyless transponder bypass from DEI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a CompuStar, though I don't recall the model right now. It did use my valet key, and came with a second remote. But I can still lock/unlock once the truck is running. My range is something like 3/4 mile! Once started, all accessories work just like when you start the truck with a key in the ignition. I love it. My only complaint is that the Honda security system is seperate, so sometimes, even though I unlock with my CompuStar remote, the Honda system wants to relock it after 30 seconds. Or if I use the Honda key remote to lock and then try to unlock with the CompuStar remote, it triggers the alarm. This is a wiring issue, not a CompuStar issue as far as I can tell since I had the same unit put on my wife's Odyssey and don't have this problem.[/Q

I also have a compustar the model is pro series 2w900fmr i had my friend install it and the way to solve your problem with the factory alarm is to trick the factory alarm to think the hood is open that way the factory alarm will not arm but you can still do everything else from the key fob.
but it is a great system

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does installing one of these remote starters do anything to the warranty on the vehicle? What is the difficulty level of self installation?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a CompuStar, though I don't recall the model right now. It did use my valet key, and came with a second remote. But I can still lock/unlock once the truck is running. My range is something like 3/4 mile! Once started, all accessories work just like when you start the truck with a key in the ignition. I love it. My only complaint is that the Honda security system is seperate, so sometimes, even though I unlock with my CompuStar remote, the Honda system wants to relock it after 30 seconds. Or if I use the Honda key remote to lock and then try to unlock with the CompuStar remote, it triggers the alarm. This is a wiring issue, not a CompuStar issue as far as I can tell since I had the same unit put on my wife's Odyssey and don't have this problem.[/Q

I also have a compustar the model is pro series 2w900fmr i had my friend install it and the way to solve your problem with the factory alarm is to trick the factory alarm to think the hood is open that way the factory alarm will not arm but you can still do everything else from the key fob.
but it is a great system
Your friend probably grounded the hood pin which is common for Honda's, the proper way is to pulse the immobilizer wire in the steering column and it requires a relay depending on the alarm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Clifford Matrix 50. This is honestly the best investment I have ever made. It works up to ONE MILE away and is awesome. It has a sick alarm system as well, including adjustable sensitivity and a 7-Tone alarm. (You know, one of those loud annoying things) Its awesome, highly reccomended. Do not have to sacrafice a key either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Clifford Matrix 50. This is honestly the best investment I have ever made. It works up to ONE MILE away and is awesome. It has a sick alarm system as well, including adjustable sensitivity and a 7-Tone alarm. (You know, one of those loud annoying things) Its awesome, highly reccomended. Do not have to sacrafice a key either.
Glad to hear this. Mine is getting installed tomorrow.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would suggest a clifford matrix system as it also provides an alarm system that comes with a pager system that will work from 1/4 mile on the older model to 1 mile on the newer (believe me that comes in handy during summer time @ the mall as the remote will work from that distance as well as notifying you of an alarm). It will not control the windows however I am able to use the factory system to do that. It does have a valet mode that is quite handy. Just be sure that if you have a factory alarm to set the sensitivity all the way down so that they do not interfere with each other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you guys don't mind me asking what am I looking at cost wise to have a remote starter installed...Just wondering what you guys experienced cost wise. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had a Viper 5900 alarm / remote start installed & a few notes....

DO NOT try to install yourself (took the Viper dealer 5 hours (lots of wiring) and they know what they are doing & did it for 100 bucks) Not to mention if you do it yourself, you VOID the lifetime warranty (warranty will also transfer from vehicle to vehicle if you have a dealer move it & re-install it)

Modules available (got two so the system would work with both keys and you don't have to sacrifice a key)

Will work up to 1 mile away (acutally got it to start from 1.2 miles line of sight / no walls or anything) and feedback is sent to remote to let you know it has started!

Start it with Viper remote, car locks to prevent anyone from getting in it.

Set it to kill itself in 9, 24, or 60 min to keep from running out of gas!

Unlock it with Viper remote, get in and put key in ignition and turn to "ON" position - car will now drive. If you put your foot on brake before you insert key - car will kill itself to keep anyone from driving off!

Walk away mode - can get out of car, take key with you, and leave it running (and locked if you wish) You can kill the engine later with remote!

Alarm works great also & gives you feedback (on remote) if someone sets it off (up to 1 mile away)

Pretty pricey system

399.99 for Viper 5900
99.99 for extra remote
99.99 for install
110.00 for two bypass modules
Taxes about 50 bucks

= more than I wanted to spend, but completely worth it!!! Afterall, its just money....right?

FYI - Viper does have cheaper systems without the alarm function and the 1 mile range.................

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts