Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Ridgeline noticeably vibrates when towing my boat between 25-35 mph. At 60 or 70 on the highway, it's fine. The boat, motor and trailer are about 2,500 pounds so capacity should not be an issue. The dealer - Honda North in Topsfield, Mass. - wants me to bring it in towing the trailer. But the dealer is a half hour away and there's no way I could navigate its jammed parking lot with the boat in tow (19' Key West center console). Maybe I should put it in D4 when I tow? Plus, I've been at the dealer twice in the past three weeks, once for an oil change and once because the emissions light came on. The fix was all new fuel injectors at just over 8,000 miles on the vehicle. The emissions light also came on at 500 miles. I am sort of disillusioned with the vehicle. My 2011 Silverado, which I traded, is looking really good right. No problems for the 51k miles I put on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2018 Ridgeline noticeably vibrates when towing my boat between 25-35 mph. At 60 or 70 on the highway, it's fine. The boat, motor and trailer are about 2,500 pounds so capacity should not be an issue. The dealer - Honda North in Topsfield, Mass. - wants me to bring it in towing the trailer. But the dealer is a half hour away and there's no way I could navigate its jammed parking lot with the boat in tow (19' Key West center console). Maybe I should put it in D4 when I tow? Plus, I've been at the dealer twice in the past three weeks, once for an oil change and once because the emissions light came on. The fix was all new fuel injectors at just over 8,000 miles on the vehicle. The emissions light also came on at 500 miles. I am sort of disillusioned with the vehicle. My 2011 Silverado, which I traded, is looking really good right. No problems for the 51k miles I put on it.
While I understand your frustration it’s important to keep perspective. ALL manufactures and ALL models have a certain number of issues no matter who makes it or where it’s made. Reliable vehicles on average have fewer problems than unreliable vehicles. Somtimes many vehicles will have no problems while one particular vehicle may have several problems. With all that said, NO manufactures have models that on average have no problems. Your 2011 was good to you but head ever to a Chevy/GM forum and I guarantee there are several posters swearing off Chevys for life because they’ve had so many problems and now in their opinion all Chevys suck and are lemons. You can even head to the new 2019 Silvardo forums and read about all the problems people are having with brand new trucks with 500 miles on them.

By every measure I’ve looked at the RL, as far as pickup trucks go, is a reliable truck and more reliable than most trucks. So, there is clearly something wrong, take it to the dealer and who knows this maybe your last problem in the life of the truck.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I went over to the Chevy/GM forum you are on and while there are people complaining of things it's really not that many or that bad at all. Yeah, some don't like start/stop (who does), and some don't like the "feel" of the new 10 speed auto with some having "harsh" shifts on the lower shifting areas especially when cold. And some don't like the new radio / heater layouts but of all the posts I read (at least 100) there were few problems with the trucks. And most people really like them and are completely satisfied.

As for our trucks compared to theirs. Well, there's not one person on there who said anything negative about the RL and while there are references to people who drive SUV's no one considers them a real comparison to the trucks they drive other than one guy who said his 19' Chevy rode as nice as his Volvo SUV. So whatever. But IMO when it comes to reliability, they are all similar as the parts are made by people and installed into vehicles by people and designed by people. Same for them as for us and subjected to the same issues with people assembly.

So, ok.. I read about them. And glad i did. But I'm not planning on being a frequenter on their forums. It just doesn't apply to our stuff here IMO. And their pricing ?!! Ugh... 80k for a truck ? Really ?

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went over to the Chevy/GM forum you are on and while there are people complaining of things it's really not that many or that bad at all. Yeah, some don't like start/stop (who does), and some don't like the "feel" of the new 10 speed auto with some having "harsh" shifts on the lower shifting areas especially when cold. And some don't like the new radio / heater layouts but of all the posts I read (at least 100) there were few problems with the trucks. And most people really like them and are completely satisfied.

As for our trucks compared to theirs. Well, there's not one person on there who said anything negative about the RL and while there are references to people who drive SUV's no one considers them a real comparison to the trucks they drive other than one guy who said his 19' Chevy rode as nice as his Volvo SUV. So whatever. But IMO when it comes to reliability, they are all similar as the parts are made by people and installed into vehicles by people and designed by people. Same for them as for us and subjected to the same issues with people assembly.

So, ok.. I read about them. And glad i did. But I'm not planning on being a frequenter on their forums. It just doesn't apply to our stuff here IMO. And their pricing ?!! Ugh... 80k for a truck ? Really ?

Steve
Woosh...my point was not to pick on Chevy - I only brought the Silverado up because that’s what the OP compares it to. Go to ANY forum from any manufacture and it’s filled with chicken littles claiming the sky is falling and model whatever sucks and manufacture X is garbage and they had a 1985 Buick that went 500K without even an oil change and because their current car wasn’t perfect they’re selling it at a huge loss and swear they wil never be a customer again.

My point was just try and keep perspective. My last car had to have the fuel pump replaced at 2300 miles and a wheel bearing replaced at 10000 miles. Was it annoying? Sure, but then it went 180K without a single problem. The fact is a certain number of fuel pumps and wheel bearings have defects. I couldv’ve sworn off keeping the car, sold it at a loss but instead it was a great car for a lot of miles.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Getting back on topic of the vibration at 25-35 mph, is this DEFINITELY coming from the truck? As someone who has towed lots of different trailers, there are times when they have a vibration and/or resonance at certain speeds.

My sister has a landscaping trailer that just sucks to tow with any truck because it has a weird vibration at about 30-40 mph. It has new tires and true rims but it looks like the axle is slightly out of alignment (need to have time to check it out/work on it).

Not trying to take the RL off the hook but just an experience I've had and heard of others having. This landscaping trailer vibration happened behind my 2015 RAM 1500 and my current 2017 G2. Nothing to do with either truck as my big 24 ft EZ Loader boat trailer and Sea Doo 1-up trailer pull perfect.

Can you pull another trailer or pull the trailer/boat with another vehicle to check it out? Just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Good point on the trailer. I've seen that exact thing happen when I pull someone else's trailer. Even a load balance differential can cause something like that to happen. Can't blame the vehicle that tows always.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question. The actual hitch could be vibrating inside the receptacle. It's fine at 60 or 70. Sort of mystery. There was no vibration at any speed towing with my Silverado so I do not suspect the trailer, which is new.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Any luck chasing down the vibration? I recently learned that Honda hitch rd have the bolt about an inch? closer to the rear of the truck. If your using the same draw bar that could be an issue. Maybe use look into a "Hitch Tightener Anti-Rattle Stabilizer".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts