Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Has anyone had hands-on experience towing a tanden axle trailer up to the maximum 5,000 lbs. rating using the Honda Towing Package?
This is why I bought the RTL. Rated GVWR is 10,000 lbs.

We are planning on getting an AirStream 22' RV or other travel trailer that has a base weight of 4,000 lbs. plus 1,000 lbs. of cargo.
How stable is it at highway speeds, up hills, and does it have sufficient braking power?

Regards,
HORNET224
RTL NiteHawk Black

·
Registered
536 Posts
You will need an electronic brake controller and brakes on the trailer. I suggest the Prodigy controller.

I hate to say but I don't think the RL is the appropriate truck to tow 5000 lbs frequently.

For frequent towing I would take any truck's max towing capacity and derate by 25% - 35%.

Just my two cents worth. I frequently tow a 3000 lb trailer with my RL and am very happy with how it tows.

-Whaleya

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tow a tournament ski boat (loaded with gas, tower, gear, trailer, etc at about 4800 lbs). I WOULD NOT have boat the RL if it didn't tow well enough. I would have bought the Toyota Tundra. I test drove an RL first while towing my boat. I went down the freeway at 72mph - no problems at all. Towed well, handled well and did okay on acceleration (this is a V6, not a V8 - so realize there is a difference). Braking was great.

So I purchased the RL. I tow about 30 to 40 times a year and travel about 70 miles on each of those trips. I now have 1000 miles on the vehicle so starting next week, I will be towing my boat to the lake about twice a week.

You will be fine on the towing.

Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would believe that Honda has listed the 5,000 towing capacity as a conservative number. They must know some people will go over a bit and most will never even get close to that. I towed a 3,000 trailer with my Ridge and it's responds well, almost like it doesn't care there is a trailer there. Not like my 4Runner, where I know I am towing something and I can feel it in the drive. I can't say it enough. For what it is designed to do, it fits me like a glove. I love my Ridge. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towing 16 ft dual axle with JD 4 wheel drive tractor, with loader and 7 ft disc
plus pto tiller, weights in at 4910, pull 60 miles one way to deer lease no problem pulling 60 mph plus, no brakes on trailer, just need to leave lots of room to stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vertrkr said:
Hi Vertrkr,

Thanks for the detailed report on your towing experience with your 5,000 boat. (By the way, very unique inboard design).

I believe you are correct in your evaluation of the towing capability of the Ridgeline as long as we stay within 5,000 lbs.

FYI, here's what Airstream said (adding another 15% cushion).

Herm,
Our suggestion is that the tow vehicle be able to handle the GVWR (this includes your fluids and gear) of the trailer (4,043 lbs. + 1,557 fluids and gear) plus another 15%. In this case the GVWR of a 22' CCD is 5,600 lbs.and with the 15% would bring the total to 6,440 lbs.

I would not recommend the Honda for towing this model Airstream.

Randy McNeeley
Airstream Customer Relations
(937) 596-6111

1 - 10 of 10 Posts