Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any update?
Just heard back today on the (nonexistent) Rightline tent:

Matthew,

Amanda is out of the office so I took this over for her.

I called Rightline Gear and they do not have anything like this for the Honda Ridgeline. She said the reason is because the bed is too short.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Please email or call me at 1-800-298-8924 ext 326 with any other questions.

Thanks,

Bridget A. EXT 326
[email protected]
direct line: 636-887-9326
1-800-298-8924 ext 326

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought a sports truck tent that is designed for an avalanche, model # 99949 . I think the best description I have heard our seen yet is that it fits like an oversized dress shirt.being 6'2"I needed something more than a topper. I have not yet camped in it but it has a ton of room, much more than the two man tent. I had used it in the past set up in the bed. Talk about being cramped, but we were off the ground and dry. I really cannot wait to try out my Christmas present.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone contacted Softopper to see if they would produce a tent extension that is made with the same materials as their current soft cap? I've followed this post on and off over the years and would think that with enough interest Softopper might mass produce something like that. Perhaps a $200 add on...?

I figure a single aluminum frame for the tent extension could mount to the Softopper bracket closest to the tailgate (mounted in a similar fashion to the center mount). The bottom of the tent extension could wrap onto the tailgate (when open of course). The top and first foot or so of the sides closed to the cab could velcro onto the original softopper...and then would be taught around the body of the RL (maybe a draw-string...?). Perhaps they could add aluminum frame sections that expand and snap onto each side from the main tent extension frame to the furthest section of the tailgate...so that the tent extension would be reinforced on all sides.

...just a thought...

jmtodd

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI... I received this email from Softopper as a follow-up to my call to them regarding the tent extension idea. Looks like they may have something in the works by the end of March.

Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:16 AM
To: jmtodd
Subject: Ridgeline Softopper

Hi jmtodd,

I just wanted to let you know that we're going to try to get a Ridgeline in here towards the end of the month. We'll be looking at possibly designing a fabric piece to attach to the rear window of the Softopper to allow the tailgate to be lowered with the bed enclosed. This will not be a frame add-on piece, probably just something that will somehow velcro / snap to the existing canopy. Please feel free to check back in at the end of the month if you're still interested.

Thank you,

Suzy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well I took the plunge and bought an OEM Chevy Avalanche tent. Thanks to BigFatDog for the idea. Actually it fits great! I was able to leave my Bakflip tonneau on the truck in the flipped up position. I put foam cushions on the corners of the Bakflip to prevent ripping the tent. Some pics:
032920132089.jpg
With Awning:
032920132094.jpg
With Rainfly:
032920132106.jpg

032920132104.jpg

032920132086.jpg

Learn from my mistake though. Don't leave the awning set up like that, even for a minute, without tying it down with the stakes they provide. I walked inside for a minute and a small gust of wind flipped the awning up, pulled the pole with it and put a small ding in the side of my truck. ugh :act002:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry, I don't check in here much.

The OEM Avalanche and the Sportz tent that I have are the same. Mine even has a little "GM" tag.

Matt300... Glad you were able to figure that out on your own.

The addition of a sleeping space make a great truck a little better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a chance to use my OEM Avalanche tent in heavy rain. It kept me dry and in fact I was able to leave the rear window on the truck open. It was nice to be able to reach in through the window to access my cooler/food while enjoying the thunderstorm.

I'm upgrading the poles to aluminum though. I thought I was being careful, but I managed to crack one of the fiberglass poles it comes with. I found a decent deal on ebay on military surplus Easton aluminum tent poles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Zipper to access the in-bed trunk!

I sewed a zipper into the floor of my Avalanche tent. It works nice! Once the tent is up I can sit on the tailgate, unzip the floor and open the trunk to grab a cold one :) The best part is I don't have to worry about where to pack things. Before when I camped I had to be careful not to put things I might need in the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Zipper to access the in-bed trunk!

I sewed a zipper into the floor of my Avalanche tent. It works nice! Once the tent is up I can sit on the tailgate, unzip the floor and open the trunk to grab a cold one :) The best part is I don't have to worry about where to pack things. Before when I camped I had to be careful not to put things I might need in the trunk.
Very nice....So the length and width of the Avalanche tent fit ok? All the tie downs? Seems like there would be a considerable difference in dimensions. I'm seeing them on Ebay for $200. Seems fair.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Zipper to access the in-bed trunk!

Very nice....So the length and width of the Avalanche tent fit ok? All the tie downs? Seems like there would be a considerable difference in dimensions. I'm seeing them on Ebay for $200. Seems fair.
It fits pretty well actually. There's very little size difference. I like that it is just a little big because I have the option of leaving my Bakflip tonneau on and in the folded up position when I set the tent up. The tie downs work ok...they just clip loosely on the lower edge of the body, wheel wells and rear bumper. I did grind 2 of the tent's plastic tie-down clips a little smaller to fit the RL's tie-down hooks and 2 to fit onto the two loops inside the cab that I believe are for a child seat.

I think I spent $180 plus tax at a local dealer because he matched an ebay price.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
779 Posts
Excellent idea with the zipper.

I love all of the roof top/bed top/truck bed tents in here. Excellent work to all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The next mod I'm thinking about is to the rainfly. It works fine and keeps the rain out but I like to have a lot of ventilation in the summer and also like to be able to see out the sides. Invariably it ends up drizzling anytime I go camping so I usually put the rainfly on ahead of time. Most modern tents have this issue.

What I'm thinking about is making a rainfly out of a tarp with tent pole pockets sewed in so I can have it extend out over the sides enough to keep the rain out but high enough to see out. I already have the extra poles since I replaced mine with aluminum. If I tackle it, I'll post pics. Something like this:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/39494-Outlander-Trailer-Sherpa-II-project-Dial-up-beware!?p=576448#post576448
This might not be great in high winds though. I'd hate to have the tarp with tent poles end up slapping the side of the vehicle in a storm.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts