Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks-I've been reading this site for awhile now and have learned quite a bit. I've driven the RL several times now and have been impressed every time. I am about to move out to a bit more rural area where the road to my house (at lease the last two miles) is gravelly and very rough, and hilly. I am worried about snow traction as well as the wear and tear on the RL. I have narrowed down my search to the RL and Tundra. My worry is around the strut failure during the Edmunds' test...should I be? Also, if I wanted to use my truck to pull a small stump here and there, should I be worried about the RL?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the struts. No one on here has reported a similar problem. I have 13000+ miles on my RL and haven't had any strut related problems.

I've also used my RL to pull a few small shrubs up. However, the last one I tried to pull up, which was fairly good size, wouldn't budge. I suspect a low range would have helped on this one, but I wouldn't trade the ride quality and trunk of the RL for the ability to pull a stump once every 20 years.

I haven't driven in the snow yet with my RL, but I have seen posts here about doing so and how well the RL did with it.

Ultimately it will be a personal decision for you based on what your needs are, but I personally think the RL is the better vehicle...at least for me, it was.

·
Registered
964 Posts
TEL said:
Hi folks-I've been reading this site for awhile now and have learned quite a bit. I've driven the RL several times now and have been impressed every time. I am about to move out to a bit more rural area where the road to my house (at lease the last two miles) is gravelly and very rough, and hilly. I am worried about snow traction as well as the wear and tear on the RL. I have narrowed down my search to the RL and Tundra. My worry is around the strut failure during the Edmunds' test...should I be? Also, if I wanted to use my truck to pull a small stump here and there, should I be worried about the RL?
I live way out in the country and my driveway is quite gravely and rough. Also hilly. I have had no problems with the RL at this point. There is no traction difficulties or anything. We've driven the truck around the area a lot on graveled roads and it's done superbely. In fact, I think the problem the guys at Edmunds had with strut failure was probably due to the fact the RL rides so darned well, they were going much faster than they would have in a Tundra or other truck.

I know others have driven in the snow without problems. I haven't hit snow yet, but don't forsee any difficulties.

Good luck in your decision. The RL is an awesome truck!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I had to have my left front strut assembly replaced last week. I drive my Ridgeline on the weekend on dirt and gravel roads at our ranch and it does a great job overall. The "thunking" noise started around 5000 miles and I have 8000 now. It only made the noise offroad when driving over washboard like surfaces. The dealer replaced it and said the original was leaking.
I do not know how Edmunds performed their test and how hard they drove their test unit but I know I did not abuse mine. I have driven my old MDX and numerous other vehicles over the same roads with out any problems so I will withhold judgement for a while and see if I have any further problems with the struts.
Make no mistake about my comments, I love my Ridgeline, its controled ride, superb handling, wonderful utility and would not trade it for any other vehicle on the market but it is Honda's first attempt at the truck market so we may have a few "bugs" to work out and I can live with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2003 Tundra I was going to trade in on the new 06 Element. However, I knew I would be sick without a truck. My dealership owner hasn't told me what to drive but I knew his preference. I decide to lease one (Honda has a killer lease going now) just because being the New Car Manager (me) should drive his own brand theory. I had only driven a RL once or twice till now. After a couple of nights, I love this this. Trust me when I say I have had several trucks. About 10 in the last 3 years. This thing is awesome and now not worried about be unhappy in a lease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I started hearing clunking noises from my RTS around 5-6,000 miles. I took it in, and they say the struts must be replaced. They didn't specify which ones, so I'm assuming all. I am waiting for the parts to come in. I live on a gravel road - washboard, bumps,etc. I pull my horse trailer (well under the wt. limit) regularly. I use my 4WD when necessary. I really love this truck a lot, but it is a first yr. out - I got the extended warranty. I hope the new struts hold up better than the first ones. Hope this helps. I don't regret buying it. SC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts