Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will be cross shopping?

"...Well, Hyundai just put a year and a half’s worth of rumors to rest, confirming to Motor Trend that the car-based pickup is definitely a go, and will appear in 2018 as a 2019 model…"

The Hyundai Santa Cruz Pickup is Absolutely Going to Happen, CEO Confirms

AFAIK, Ford has not yet confirmed a US market Ford Ranger. I don't see it happening, because the F150 makes all other pickups redundant and obsolete, from what I have read on ROC. >:)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I think Ford's announcement about the UAW deal to keep their Michigan plant open when they move sedan production to Mexico included confirmation that a new US Ranger and Bronco will be built there. Word has it that surging sales of Coloranyons was just too much for Ford to ignore. Still unknown is whether the Ranger will debut in MY 2018 or 2019, and how much Ford will retool the global version for its US edition. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt we'll the see the new Ranger for MY 2018.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I think Ford's announcement about the UAW deal to keep their Michigan plant open when they move sedan production to Mexico included confirmation that a new US Ranger and Bronco will be built there. Word has it that surging sales of Coloranyons was just too much for Ford to ignore. Still unknown is whether the Ranger will debut in MY 2018 or 2019, and how much Ford will retool the global version for its US edition. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt we'll the see the new Ranger for MY 2018.
Most articles I'm reading say that it will debut in the '19MY; however, may be released in Spring '18. I agree that it will be interesting to see how much of the global version we will get.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I think Hyundai will have a hit with the Santa Cruz, since it will be the first "compact" truck since the old Ranger left the market. I think there is a lot of demand for a compact truck, but automakers have been force-feeding us "mid-size" trucks and ignoring smaller sizes. Maybe because it costs as much to produce, given what people expect to pay? - people will readily spend more for something larger, even if it is of less value, as many don't see value in a compact size unless there is a compact price to go with it.

Still wish Honda would build an HRV-based mini-Ridge with a turbo four...

·
Registered
417 Posts
.. the F150 makes all other pickups redundant and obsolete...
Well, thank goodness someone has been paying attention! :wink:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car & Driver claims the Ranger will arrive in the USA as a 2019 model year.

2019 Ford Ranger: 25 Cars Worth Waiting For ? Feature ? Car and Driver

"...The only engine currently offered in the global Ranger that would likely come to the American market is the 3.2-liter five-cylinder diesel. It’s available in the full-size Transit Van and could help the Ranger take away the title of “most efficient pickup” from the 31-highway-mpg diesel Colorado/Canyon twins. Expect an EcoBoost four-cylinder as well as a naturally aspirated gas V-6 in the U.S. lineup…"

Will Honda be forced to reduce the MSRP on the Ridgeline in 2018 if midsize competitors arrive from Ford and Nissan?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Will Honda be forced to reduce the MSRP on the Ridgeline in 2018 if midsize competitors arrive from Ford and Nissan?
I think the current Frontier is so cheap because it hasn't changed in so many years - once they move to the new Navara platform in the US I would bet prices come up to meet the Tacoma. And Ford will probably try to match Colorado/Canyon prices, which are competitive with the RL now.

So Honda won't reduce prices, but they may have to realign their trim levels/options closer to the Canadian RL to provide more value.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Ford Ranger will be coming to the USA, and will be manufactured in Michigan. Competion in the midsize segment is heating up.

UAW Plant Chairman Confirms Ford Ranger, Bronco Revival in Trump Comments

As plant chairman for UAW Local 900, Bill Johnson represents workers at the Wayne, Michigan facility……………….

“We hate to see the products go to Mexico, but with the Ranger and the Bronco coming to Michigan Assembly that absolutely secures the future for our people a lot more than the Focus does,” Johnson told Freep.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,378 Posts
The Cruz is reported to be based on the Tucson and will be compact rather than midsize. . . .

I'm sure that some midsize buyers would go compact if there was an option. Probably some car / SUV buyers would go compact if there was an option.

That said, for me, replacing my ageing GenI with something like the Cruz isn't going to happen. Not enough size for carrying the family and building materials. . . .Full size is simply too big and ungainly around town . . .Mid size hits the mark . . .

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mercedes Benz is looking to sell a midsize pickup.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20161001/OEM02/310039957/zetsche-ghosn-bullish-on-pickups

It is a significant product initiative for Mercedes, Zetsche said as Ghosn sat next to him during a joint press conference at the Paris auto show. Zetsche believes that pickup trucks are no longer just for working people, farmers and contractors but are now ready for a role in the premium end of the auto market.

"The midsized pickup segment is not only booming; it is at the beginning of a major transformation," he said. "More and more customers are looking for pickup trucks with carlike specifications. We will be a driving force in this change."

·
Registered
166 Posts
A Honda pickup yes. A Hyundai pickup??? Oh hell no. Never in my life will i or my wife ever own a Hyundai.

·
Administrator
16,291 Posts
U.S. Hyundai re-confirmed yesterday that a truck is coming, but the latest news points to a 2021 model in 2020. The original article pointed to a 2019 model in 2018.

"...Hyundai's top management has given the green light for development of a pickup truck similar to a show vehicle called the Santa Cruz that U.S. Hyundai executives unveiled in 2015.

People familiar with the automaker's plans said the pick-up truck is expected to be launched in 2020."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-strategy-idUSKCN1B21FR

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A Honda pickup yes. A Hyundai pickup??? Oh hell no. Never in my life will i or my wife ever own a Hyundai.
I still think of the garbage they produced their first go round in the US. I know their stuff has gotten good but I l=always have that thought in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I think the Ranger will have the biggest impact simply because of its offerings. There have been spy shots of a Raptor like model and a regular cab model (no back seat) so it looks like there will be different bed sizes and different cabs. More options to please buyers, besides I think the Ranger will cater to a much different demographic than the RL. The Colorado needs a new interior and the Chevy version of sensing. I would think that it will be much easier to negotiate a deal on a Ranger for an OTD price that should easily beat the RL but then again, Honda has no interest in competing with Chevy and Ford. I will certainly take a look at the Ranger when it is time to trade the RL.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,920 Posts
Dare I say this? That Hyundai is no pickup truck. It's not in the same league as the Ridgeline or the Ranger. There are plenty of better pickup trucks being made around the world for other markets that could compete with the Ridgeline far better than the Hyundai concept mini truck, which probably will be more Jeep like than truck like in size. It's a trucklet as a concept vehicle anyway. Very little utility. Form over function and that the form isn't that great either.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts