281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
Quoting an article that requires subscription as your source?? WE peasants are hurt!

:)
Haha! Hmmm... I'm not being prompted for a subscription and wasn't aware that I subscribed to that particular news source nor am I logged in to it.

I wondered why my local Fiat dealer closed up shop a few weeks ago. Now I know.
Fiat was down to two models - the 500 and the 124 which is a Miata with a Fiat engine. The latter sells fewer per year than even the Ridgeline does per month and nowhere near as many Miatas which itself isn't a volume model. Fewer than 3,300 examples of the 500 were sold in 2019 and fewer than 700 were sold in all of 2020. Those numbers aren't sustainable. Consider Fiat gone once again in the US.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,576 Posts
It sucks that Alfa is facing that reality. I admire the design language and balanced design of their offerings.

Haha! Hmmm... I'm not being prompted for a subscription and wasn't aware that I subscribed to that particular news source nor am I logged in to it.
Capture.JPG

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
Here's a buddy of mine taking his turn in a Giulia Quadrifoglio at a press event a couple of years ago. It was one of our favorite vehicles among dozens we drove from $20K Fords to $250K AMG's. I wouldn't spend my own money on one, but I sure enjoy driving it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,576 Posts
The tire squeal is nuts. Doesn't that thing have 245s front and 285s rear? They can also have sticky summer tires, which I would imagine is what they had in the press drive?
Even the squeal in first gear braking for the first corner made me wonder.

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
Many of the journalists at these events are better at writing than driving. Some are better at driving than writing. ;)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I appreciate the sprinkling of privileged info from the elite to us serfs :).

Fiat was down to two models - the 500 and the 124 which is a Miata with a Fiat engine. The latter sells fewer per year than even the Ridgeline does per month and nowhere near as many Miatas which itself isn't a volume model. Fewer than 3,300 examples of the 500 were sold in 2019 and fewer than 700 were sold in all of 2020. Those numbers aren't sustainable. Consider Fiat gone once again in the US.
Never looked closely at a 500, but thought its only two potential strengths were cuteness and cheapness.

Have always appreciated the look of the old 124 Spider, and the new one looked sharp too, though only saw a couple in person.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Never looked closely at a 500, but thought its only two potential strengths were cuteness and cheapness.

Have always appreciated the look of the old 124 Spider, and the new one looked sharp too, though only saw a couple in person.
I had a '15 500L which I gave to my son. It was a decent car--quite inexpensive, reasonably peppy with 1.5L turbo, manual. VERY roomy inside for 4 people, and quite nice styling on the inside. As far as the outside--I like the 500X better, but we needed something to tow behind an RV, and the 500X wasn't out then.

So far it has been quite reliable, despite my son putting mega-miles on it and putting it through all kinds of horrible weather conditions in the mountains.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend one, unless you want a cheap people hauler for in town.

As far as the 124, this is a Miata with a Fiat engine and different sheet metal. I wanted one when they came out, but they were hard to find when I was looking for a convertible, and I went with an MX5 in '18. I think the 124 looks more like a classic roadster and historically has been discounted a lot more than the MX5. Not fun to get serviced through FCA or Stellantis or whatever.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had a '15 500L which I gave to my son. It was a decent car--quite inexpensive, reasonably peppy with 1.5L turbo, manual. VERY roomy inside for 4 people, and quite nice styling on the inside. As far as the outside--I like the 500X better, but we needed something to tow behind an RV, and the 500X wasn't out then.

So far it has been quite reliable, despite my son putting mega-miles on it and putting it through all kinds of horrible weather conditions in the mountains.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend one, unless you want a cheap people hauler for in town.

As far as the 124, this is a Miata with a Fiat engine and different sheet metal. I wanted one when they came out, but they were hard to find when I was looking for a convertible, and I went with an MX5 in '18. I think the 124 looks more like a classic roadster and historically has been discounted a lot more than the MX5. Not fun to get serviced through FCA or Stellantis or whatever.
That's what I get by "judging a book by its cover" - a guess vs. an informed opinion. Glad to be wrong, and that the Fiat is working out for your son!

I'm pretty old, but when I was 17-18 was lucky enough to work at an airport valet parking place that was a mile from the airport, and got to drive a number of really cool cars - along with a whole lot of mundane ones, lol - and ever since I've remembered the Fiat Spider, which I immediately loved. It was the first time I realized Italian cars were designed for Italian drivers - long arms/short legs, though I'm guessing that the ergonomics have evolved over the 40+ years of building Fiats for export.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Has the one who typed the name "Santra Cruz" pwned up to it yet?
The guy who created the typo probably works this as a side job, and is actually a covert CIA agent doing these reports under a fake name. ;) Ether way, it doesn't matter. It is what it is. Kinda reminds me the book "Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank, 1959". Great gripping story, but the typos in that book were unbelievable. So many of them! Makes one wonder who actually proof reads this stuff. Anyway, the later editions have probably been correct. I had a first edition.

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
Dear [zroger73],

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this. We are aware of that typo and we are working with EPA and the manufacture to get that corrected. We always appreciate it when people point out errors so that we can get them corrected. Thanks again.

www.fueleconomy.gov
Should I reply explaining the laws of physics so they can correct the FWD/AWD ratings as well? :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yikes. That's hardly better than the larger, heavier Ridgeline and significantly worse than the Maverick hybrid.
The Santa Cruz AWD non-turbo EPA mileage rating is about what I actually get in my relatively-huge 2019 Ridgeline, if I consciously accelerate moderately - 21-29mpg.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
The Santa Cruz AWD non-turbo EPA mileage rating is about what I actually get in my relatively-huge 2019 Ridgeline, if I consciously accelerate moderately - 21-29mpg.
I don't expect the Maverick AWD will be much better... maybe beat the SC by 1-2mpg. The 40mpg version sounds nice, but I wonder if I would miss the get-up-n-go power, or if the electric portion negates that loss of power. And you can't get AWD with the hybrid Maverick, so that's a huge negative...

281 - 300 of 302 Posts