Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
341 - 360 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
134 Posts
I wonder if the N/A 2.5 is going to feel like a slug compared to the Ridgeline? On the other hand, the N/A gets the much smoother conventional 8-speed automatic instead of the DCT.
Why wonder the info is out there. It should be slower than the tucson.

17s quarter mile
9s 0-60mph

To answer your question, it will be painfully slow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I will be cancelling my Santa Cruz reservation today.
Why? Price?

Yup. It appears the entry price for a drivetrain comparable to the Ridgeline's is about $37K. Prices range from $25K to $41K.

Hyundai doesn't show their destination charge until you get to the end of their built & price tool which isn't available for the Santa Cruz yet. For the Santa Fe, the destination is $1,185.

To me, the big elephant in the room is still the 4.3' bed vs. the Ridgeline's 5.3' bed. I'm also not excited about the 8-speed DCT that lacks refinement at low speeds in other applications.

I like the ventilated seats and Bose audio, but the Ridgeline's AWD system is superior to the Santa Cruz's. Relatively, the Santa Cruz doesn't seem like much of a bargain. If I wanted a "smaller, cheaper Ridgeline", the Maverick seems more appealing.
The Bose sound may not be that much of an upgrade. I have a Bose system in my Miata, and it’s OK. Not knock your socks off great. (I think you have a Miata, right?)

The Ridgeline premium audio is actually not too bad (a bit bass-heavy requiring major adjustment of the tone controls), and IMO driving back to back about as nice as the Miata Bose.

The short bed is a no go for me though. We used our truck to haul hundreds of pounds of logs and brush to the dump after a big storm last weekend. We needed every inch of the bed.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
The Bose sound may not be that much of an upgrade. I have a Bose system in my Miata, and it’s OK. Not knock your socks off great. (I think you have a Miata, right?)

The Ridgeline premium audio is actually not too bad (a bit bass-heavy requiring major adjustment of the tone controls), and IMO driving back to back about as nice as the Miata Bose.
Oh, goodness - the Bose system in my '19 Miata sounds dramatically better to me than the "premium" audio systems in my '17, '19, and '21 Ridgelines with deeper bass, crisper highs, and better imaging. The Ridgeline has way too much mid-bass, little deep bass, and an unconvincing soundstage. The slightest amount of bass rattles the front doors' innards. I don't think the Ridgeline sounds awful by any means, but the Bose systems in my current Miata and former CX-5 were much more pleasing. None beat the 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D system I had in the RDX, though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh, goodness - the Bose system in my '19 Miata sounds dramatically better to me than the "premium" audio systems in my '17, '19, and '21 Ridgelines with deeper bass, crisper highs, and better imaging. The Ridgeline has way too much mid-bass, little deep bass, and an unconvincing soundstage. The slightest amount of bass rattles the front doors' innards. I don't think the Ridgeline sounds awful by any means, but the Bose systems in my current Miata and former CX-5 were much more pleasing. None beat the 16-speaker ELS Studio 3D system I had in the RDX, though.
Heck...I grew up in the 70's and 80's. A great car stereo was two 6x9's connected to a Radio Shack EQ/Booster. If you were really boss you had a couple of 12's or 15's in the back in a MDF box using an amp that ultimately fried your alternator (as it did on my RX-7).

We listened to music on boom boxes playing music recorded off the radio where the DJ talked over the first 5 seconds of the song and we thought it sounded awesome. LOL! :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,633 Posts
I could not find it, but i did find out that Leo Santa Cruz (boxer) weighs 130 lbs. and an expensive ($4K) Santa Cruz bike weighs 19.25 lbs. :)
Here are the figures for gross weight, which includes maximum payload of 1,700 lbs.

Non-Turbo 2WD 5,456
Non-Turbo AWD 5,610
Turbo 2WD 5,577
Turbo AWD 5,732

Reactions: longboat

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,633 Posts
Why? Price?

The short bed is a no go for me though. We used our truck to haul hundreds of pounds of logs and brush to the dump after a big storm last weekend. We needed every inch of the bed.
Yes, price and interior space. I will have to see it in person to actually make the final determination, but to get AWD you have to pay around $38K.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
Yes, price and interior space. I will have to see it in person to actually make the final determination, but to get AWD you have to pay around $38K.
I think you can get AWD for around $26k, but then you don't get the turbo at that price. You probably really want the turbo in that Denver altitude!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,633 Posts
I think you can get AWD for around $26k, but then you don't get the turbo at that price. You probably really want the turbo in that Denver altitude!
I wanted a few more options than exist on the SEL trim level, which does not even include Homelink.

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts
I wanted a few more options than exist on the SEL trim level, which does not even include Homelink.
I'm in the opposite boat, i want the options of the SE trim with AWD and a Turbo, but that just means it will be better if i wait so i can get aftermarket parts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you have a 21 RTL-E or BE? I listened to mine fairly analytically today, and was quite impressed with the sound. Now this was after cutting the subwoofer control down to about -3 and bass down about -3 as well. It is definitely bass-heavy at default, which I'm not a big fan of. Oh well, to each his own.

My RL stereo is good enough I have no interest in aftermarket speakers or such, and that was definitely NOT true with the Tacoma I had--couldn't WAIT to get new speakers in it. Even then it was only passable.

As far as the Miata, I go back and forth. I think it's pretty good for the application. It seems to vary a lot depending on the music source and whether the top is up or down. (Yes I know about Bose sound modelling.) To my ear, with the top down, certain music like the Talking Heads and Steely Dan sound GREAT (once the tone controls are adjusted), while some other stuff like 60's rock sounds crappy. Could be a lousy streaming source as well I guess. Can't comment on CD cause I ain't got no CD player.

I think high-volume manufacturers like Bose design a system for a particular vehicle and do a lot of cost cutting to make it affordable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Bose in my Acura CL was really great.

TBH my ears are so bad these days that anything that can drown out the tinnitus is a win in my book. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,633 Posts
The first Hyundai Santa Cruz rolled off the assembly line today. Still no pricing available.

Here is a video to go along with the pics. It is interesting to see the robots in action, especially the one who can paint with both hands. Also, the robot had no problem aligning the wheel with the studs for installation. It usually takes me a couple of tries to get the correct orientation.

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
Hyundai is using a one-piece stamping from the A-pillar to the taillight like the 1G Ridgeline which makes repairs more difficult and costly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm really happy to see the Santa Cruz and the Maverick. It's been a long time since we had a choice in compact trucks. I remember the old Ranger, the Courier, the Chevy Luv, the Isuzu Pup, and others. Years back Mahindra (the tractor company) teased the idea of a small truck with a diesel engine. It was awesome, but it was never produced.

American car buyers are so caught up in the "bigger is better" and needing all vehicles to be luxurious. I am old enough to remember cars like the Datsun B210, Chevette, and of course the VW Beetle. Simple, basic, inexpensive, reliable, fuel efficient basic transportation.

I remember these ads when I was a kid. This truck would cost around $15k today. But it's still all the truck most Americans will ever need.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
I'm really happy to see the Santa Cruz and the Maverick. It's been a long time since we had a choice in compact trucks. I remember the old Ranger, the Courier, the Chevy Luv, the Isuzu Pup, and others. Years back Mahindra (the tractor company) teased the idea of a small truck with a diesel engine. It was awesome, but it was never produced.

American car buyers are so caught up in the "bigger is better" and needing all vehicles to be luxurious. I am old enough to remember cars like the Datsun B210, Chevette, and of course the VW Beetle. Simple, basic, inexpensive, reliable, fuel efficient basic transportation.

I remember these ads when I was a kid. This truck would cost around $15k today. But it's still all the truck most Americans will ever need.

View attachment 415704
Ahhh, back when trucks were tools, and not image statements!

I remember those ads, too, and the trucks! My brother still has an '83 Isuzu P'up with diesel engine and 5-speed stick. Although still drivable on the farm, it was totaled after a drunk t-boned it on the passenger side.

He got 48mpg with it back when the national speed limit was 55mph.

There were unibody trucks back then, too, with the Dodge Rampage / Plymouth Scamp and the VW Rabbit pickup coming to mind.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Ahhh, back when trucks were tools, and not image statements!

I remember those ads, too, and the trucks! My brother still has an '83 Isuzu P'up with diesel engine and 5-speed stick. Although still drivable on the farm, it was totaled after a drunk t-boned it on the passenger side.

He got 48mpg with it back when the national speed limit was 55mph.

There were unibody trucks back then, too, with the Dodge Rampage / Plymouth Scamp and the VW Rabbit pickup coming to mind.
We had an '84 Rabbit - first car we bought new - but at the time wished I had that little truck...but we were entering babyville & needed the seats :).

Bought a 10 year old '96 Tacoma for our son to drive to school & use as a truck, and it was awesome. But if it rained the rear wheels would spin (2WD) as if it were on an ice rink.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh yeah! I remember those. My first car was a Plymouth Horizion, so I know that little car well. It had no power steering, no power brakes, no power locks, and an AM radio. It was a 1979 model and I got it in 1988 with 100,000 miles on it. It was a total pile of crap. The transmission had a mind of its own and sometimes if you put it in drive it went in neutral. Neutral might be reverse. The windows dropped down about 3 inches in the doors and when it rained I got soaked. Pretty uncomfortable in winter too. That car met it's end when the engine blew doing 70mph (the top speed) down I-65 coming out of Nashville. I coasted into a gas station and that's the last time I ever saw the car. Have no idea what happened to it. I guess it got towed away. It was replaced with a 1985 RX-7.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts

View attachment 415704

Part of the reason I am so excited about the SC is because compact trucks are very useful, but they have to be designed better than a compact car

I want a single cab unibody truck with a 6' bed with the tailgate up and a half decent motor with a lot of torque and AWD, but I don't think most drivers want that 😅

341 - 360 of 391 Posts