Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
361 - 380 of 391 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
Oh yeah! I remember those. My first car was a Plymouth Horizion, so I know that little car well. It had no power steering, no power brakes, no power locks, and an AM radio. It was a 1979 model and I got it in 1988 with 100,000 miles on it. It was a total pile of crap. The transmission had a mind of its own and sometimes if you put it in drive it went in neutral. Neutral might be reverse. The windows dropped down about 3 inches in the doors and when it rained I got soaked. Pretty uncomfortable in winter too. That car met it's end when the engine blew doing 70mph (the top speed) down I-65 coming out of Nashville. I coasted into a gas station and that's the last time I ever saw the car. Have no idea what happened to it. I guess it got towed away. It was replaced with a 1985 RX-7.
Fun facts:
- The Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon were the first economy FWD cars manufactured in the U.S., and based on the European Chrysler Horizon, a successor to the Simca 1100 and Hillman Avenger (which was also sold as the Plymouth Cricket imported to the U.S.).

- The '77-'83 Omni/Horizon cars were loosely based on the VW Rabbit and featured VW engines and transmissions.

- Later (1983+) versions featured base engines from Peugot, or the optional 2.2L developed by Chrysler. The 2.2L was an option beginning in 1981.

- Many later Omnis and Horizons were built by AMC.

- During that era, Chrysler also imported the Dodge/Plymouth Colt, which was a rebranded Mitsubishi Galant

- In 1978, Chrysler sold its European division to Peugot, who then phased out Chrysler in Europe. Likely the same thing will happen again in the next year or two, as Stellantis (Peugot, etc.) will likely get rid of the Chrysler name.

The RX-7 was Mazda's inexpensive and reliable alternative to the Jaguar XKE. Perhaps we can thank that model as incentive for Mazda to continue producing fun-to-drive cars!

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
I think of the BRAT much like I think of the SC.... a fun party vehicle for the beach, not really meant for the guys with the pool-cleaning businesses.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,631 Posts
The Ford Lightning is intriguing me. The upscale XLT trim is around $52K minus a $10K federal and state tax rebate, cutting the price to around $42K. The frunk wound be an added bonus, along with the electrical outlet in the bed.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
19,520 Posts
Same here. A frunk is actually better than the Ridgeline's trunk because it's accessible even with a fully loaded bed. And, I'm really intrigued by the bidirectional power.

I'd have to switch parking spaces in my garage to get it to fit, though, because of the swing of the doors.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The RX-7 was Mazda's inexpensive and reliable alternative to the Jaguar XKE. Perhaps we can thank that model as incentive for Mazda to continue producing fun-to-drive cars!
The RX-7 sparked my love for low powered, great handling cars. It had 100hp (that was at the crank I'm sure) and was slow as hell, but it taught me how to drive properly. How to keep an engine in the power. How to maintain corner speed.

A few years later I bought a NA Miata. It was fun too. No traction control, no nannies, no gadgets...just a car. And it was glorious.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,631 Posts
Do you guys agree with this statement over on the Santa Cruz forum?

"Ultimate trim starting within $1k of a base Ridgeline here. All things equal, I think the 2.5T will tow easier than Honda's V6. It has a much wider torque band than a NA V6, coming on fully at 1700rpm. At max towing though, I'm thinking the SC will get pushed around a bit more on the road, with its smaller size."

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts

"Ultimate trim starting within $1k of a base Ridgeline here. All things equal, I think the 2.5T will tow easier than Honda's V6. It has a much wider torque band than a NA V6, coming on fully at 1700rpm. At max towing though, I'm thinking the SC will get pushed around a bit more on the road, with its smaller size."
I would disagree, I think that the RL will still be better for towing because it's bigger and not much heavier, if it was a small turbo diesel engine maybe, but I don't feel like a turbo 4 cyl non diesel is worthy of towing.

·
Registered
2020 RTLE Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
143 Posts
For myself it doesn't matter. I'm a large person. 6'1", 225lbs and I need and want room. Quite sure I would not get that in that little tiny truck. Not to mention how small the back seat area is...

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts
For myself it doesn't matter. I'm a large person. 6'1", 225lbs and I need and want room. Quite sure I would not get that in that little tiny truck. Not to mention how small the back seat area is...
I'm a big guy as well and I'm waiting for a test drive before I write it off on size alone, I have sat in full sized trucks where my head was hitting the ceiling and in compact sedans where I had all the room in the world, just depends on design.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Only one way to find out...let me hook up my trailer to both of them and give it a try.......

Oh wait....

I don't own a trailer.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
The little turbo four would probably pull better with its low-rpm torque, but the engine will be working hard. An occasional tow wouldn't hurt it, but you wouldn't want to daily tow with it.

There is a reason Ford does not offer their highly-touted EcoBoost engines in their HD trucks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On the flip side, Nissan dropped the diesel option in the Titan XD and Ford just dropped the diesel option for the F-150.
It's not because no one wanted the diesel...it's because of the stupidly expensive upcharge for a diesel on top of the more expensive fuel and the DEF.

I loved every diesel I ever owned and would always drive one if I had a choice (except in a sports car of course). The torque is so nice. Low revving. Great fuel economy. I also enjoyed using the local biodiesel co-op to buy cheap fuel made from used cooking oil. I'm not a tree hugger, but hey...if I can buy better fuel, cheaper, and help the environment...then that's a win/win.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
261 Posts
I would like to see some advancements in small diesel engines, I think compact trucks could really benefit from a lot of torque and a small engine

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,185 Posts
I would like to see some advancements in small diesel engines, I think compact trucks could really benefit from a lot of torque and a small engine
Honda was supposedly making great strides in diesel technology back around 2007 or so, but then the recession hit and the diesel project, along with many other projects from many other auto mfrs, was shelved.

Honda's diesel was supposed to be DEF-free, much like their original CVCC engines had little need for the smog equipment that saddled the Big3 engines back in the 70s. Rumor was that there was also a dedicated G2 platform in the works back then, that also got shelved due to the recession.

With the electric age coming, there is little chance we will see any new diesel tech from Honda now. Their diesel engineers are probably working for Hyundai now, anyway.

361 - 380 of 391 Posts