Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I've seen this discussed, possibly in the "What do you hate about your Ridgeline" thread, but with 575 replies to that thread, I figured that this deserves it's own topic. The general feeling in the posts I read was that since the Pilot and Ridgeline share many parts, perhaps the door checker (the part that limits how wide the door opens) might be compatible. Someone already unbolted theirs and commented that the door can open a lot wider without hitting or rubbing on anything else.

It just so happens that my brother just purchased a 2017 Pilot, and I have asked him to measure the part for me. I found the parts online. They cost less than $11 each. The measurement on the Ridgeline part, below, is 4 5/16". I'll post again after I get the measurement for the Pilot. I am hoping that it will be 1/4 - 1/2" longer on the pilot. Keeping my fingers crossed!

2016 Pilot part numbers:
72840-TG7-A01 CHECKER, R. RR. DOOR $10.54
72880-TG7-A01 CHECKER, L. RR. DOOR $10.58

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, that did not take long. It's not good news either.

measured 4 3/8" from the door to the center of the pivot.
Looks like I'll buy another set for the Ridgeline and cut / weld in a short extension. It may be a while before I do this, depending upon when I can get them delivered.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
But other posters have commented that the actual increase in door opening width is minimal, even with the check strap removed. I seem to recall some pictures or a video showing only a small improvement.

Also, as noted by another poster, you will need to watch for clearance issues as a longer check strap recedes into the door. Could it strike or rub against anything else -- like the lowered window glass or other hardware? You might have to remove the inner door panel to watch or feel the path of the longer strap as you close the door.

Thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
@HyperPete
As they say, "If you never swing the bat, You'll never get a hit"

Good Luck and God Speed

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But other posters have commented that the actual increase in door opening width is minimal, even with the check strap removed. I seem to recall some pictures or a video showing only a small improvement.
I thought I remembered someone saying that the door opened significantly wider when the checker was removed.

Also, as noted by another poster, you will need to watch for clearance issues as a longer check strap recedes into the door. Could it strike or rub against anything else -- like the lowered window glass or other hardware? You might have to remove the inner door panel to watch or feel the path of the longer strap as you close the door.

Thanks for posting.
I had not thought about this, but I will now keep it in mind, thank you! I don't mind "wasting" $25 on a pair of the checkers to play with them. I can use my little wire feed welder to put them back together since it's such light-duty steel. (There should not be a problem getting good penetration.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought I remembered someone saying that the door opened significantly wider when the checker was removed.

I had not thought about this, but I will now keep it in mind, thank you! I don't mind "wasting" $25 on a pair of the checkers to play with them. I can use my little wire feed welder to put them back together since it's such light-duty steel. (There should not be a problem getting good penetration.)
I was the one who said it was significant. I suggest you remove the bolt on the frame end and see for yourself, takes a couple of minutes to do. For some it may be significant and for others maybe not. I felt it was a large enough difference nobody or very few would be complaining about the limited opening distance.

As for welding anything, good luck as they are they maybe steel on the inside but the exterior has a molded plastic shell which acts as smooth sliding surface which would be destroyed.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was the one who said it was significant. I suggest you remove the bolt on the frame end and see for yourself, takes a couple of minutes to do. For some it may be significant and for others maybe not. I felt it was a large enough difference nobody or very few would be complaining about the limited opening distance.

As for welding anything, good luck as they are they maybe steel on the inside but the exterior has a molded plastic shell which acts as smooth sliding surface which would be destroyed.
Thank you, Hans. Well, I could get it powder coated. That is a plastic exterior.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Honda makes lots of vehicles. If someone wants to go through a dealer lot and see what might work they may find something. Heck, even the front door strap might work if it's longer. Just a thought, haven't looked into this at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Honda can be cheap (penny pinching to a fault) but I don't think their engineers are stupid. Making each plastic stop check a bit longer isn't going to lower the cost of the back doors so there must be a reason those door stops are the length they are. Either that or they are parts bin sharing.
I don't do well messing with interior bits so I'm reluctant to pull a rear door panel to see where the door 'straps' end up with the doors closed. Until a forum member actually removes one the best any of us can do is guess. Unfortunately guessing won't make the doors swing open any further.
I find that when I guess my guess is generally a few clicks left of rewarding.
So..................... who's going to be first to pull a rear panel and share with us what they've found? Remember that without pictures - it didn't happen. I don't think Honda is going to share.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda can be cheap (penny pinching to a fault) but I don't think their engineers are stupid. Making each plastic stop check a bit longer isn't going to lower the cost of the back doors so there must be a reason those door stops are the length they are. Either that or they are parts bin sharing.
I don't do well messing with interior bits so I'm reluctant to pull a rear door panel to see where the door 'straps' end up with the doors closed. Until a forum member actually removes one the best any of us can do is guess. Unfortunately guessing won't make the doors swing open any further.
I find that when I guess my guess is generally a few clicks left of rewarding.
So..................... who's going to be first to pull a rear panel and share with us what they've found? Remember that without pictures - it didn't happen. I don't think Honda is going to share.

It won't be me for a while... I may look at the inside of the door with an endoscope, however.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I would try a soft collapsible strap first, like a piece of rope or heavy cloth.

If you have to have a hard door stop, then maybe a metal tube that slides inside another metal tube. I bet DK-NY (the hood strut guys) could put something together.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Door stops are fitted to prevent body damage by those that fling doors open with reckless abandon (kids) or by older folks that have a tendency to fully open doors with an assist from their feet. For me I think of the door stops as an asset should a gust of wind grab the door as it's being opened.
Unbolting the stop from the door will answer question #1 which is, how far can an unrestricted door open before it interferes with or damages something as it moves through its arch? It doesn't answer question #2 which is, can a longer stop be fabricated to increase the arch yet fit inside the door while staying away from window regulators or window glass?
If the door's arch can approximate 90 degrees like in the Honda photo (deceiving at best if it can't) then I'd guess the reason ours can't is because there might be an issue with a longer door stop fitting inside the door when it's closed.
Seeing how HyperPete mentioned that he has or has access to an endoscope the ball rests in his court. Action, Camera!!
One way or another the door panels will need to be removed if the plan is to either lengthen or remove the stops to improve rear seat access. Remember that if you go 'stopless' be sure you don't have door flingers or panel kickers back there. You can avoid door damage by activating the child locks on the back doors (if you pull the stops) so only you can open the doors [from outside] to insure no damage is going to be done. Grandma and Grandpa will not be amused by your child lock insurance measures.
I can live with the doors opening the number of degrees that they now do but when something doesn't function the way I think it could I want to know why and perhaps make a modification if I can .

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not sure if some of you guys read the other thread about this issue, I think Nervey posted a video of him removing the door stop or something. If I recall correctly, the door doesn't open up too much more and the inhibiting factor for space are the cup/fry holders.

Still, if something could be done to make it open a bit more I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seeing how HyperPete mentioned that he has or has access to an endoscope the ball rests in his court. Action, Camera!!
I do have an inexpensive endoscope I bought on eBay for about $15 a while back. I'm uncertain that it will give me a great image, but once I find it I will post pictures. Perhaps this weekend. Sorry for the delay, I work late this week.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dropped the ball on this, my apologies.

I tried the scope already a good month ago, but found I must remove the bolts on the door side (at a minimum) and possibly have to remove the door stop assembly to be able to get the scope inside the door.
OR, maybe if I put the window down I can access the inside of the door that way.

I'll check it out this weekend and hopefully post some photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember looking at the door components the first week I had the truck thinking there must be a way to mod them to get the doors to open further. Thanks for your efforts, HyperPete! I'm anxious to see where this all ends up!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found the endoscope. I'll work on getting some photos this evening.

Reactions: Snikwah

·
Registered
229 Posts
I found the endoscope. I'll work on getting some photos this evening.
You may be able to feed the scope through the access hole for the door handles, its a black grommet up top. This way you dont have to take anything off but the down fall is not being able to close the door fully which you kind of need to see how far in the door check goes. But may be useful for anything else

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also as an FYI the CR-V opens pretty wide so maybe using that door check may work if it doesn't hit anything internally

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.