Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Have Honda Ridgelines ever come from the factory with locking lugnuts on the wheels? I just bought a Ridgeline with locking lugnuts and the 'reputable' dealer is pretty much leaving me on my own for how to get the wheels off now that I've bought the vehicle. The key to the wheels did not come with the car and I noticed it a few days later when checking tire pressure.

This was not a Honda dealer and I wondered if the Ridgeline may have come from the factory with the locking nuts in which case, I hoped to provide a VIN and purchase a key from a dealer.

TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think they were ever installed from the factory. It is typically a dealer installed addition. Mine threw them in as an perk to purchase the vehicle. I doubt just providing a VIN will tell them which "key" you need. There are more than one keys available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If they are a genuine Honda product, your local Honda dealer most likely has a complete set of key sockets. You'd have to pay them for their time most likely, but they could tell you which one to order.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,604 Posts
My 06 came with genuine Honda locking lug nuts. All most certainly they were installed by the dealer. I doubt that Honda can do anything for you with a VIN but the previous post about dealers having a complete "key" set might be worth a phone call. I doubt that will pan out though. Smacking a socket like in the youtube video does work sometimes or find a pro with an air hammer / chisel to spin them off.

I have kept mine on simply because they are there but at this point in my Ridge's life the hassle vs risk of theft equation is undoubtedly in the favor the nuts being a hassle.

Good luck getting them off. Let us know your solution please and I would definitely PUSH the issue with the selling dealer as it is a pretty fundamental thing to be able to R&R your wheels.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
most competent Honda Mechanics have a set of 8 Lug nut unlock keys and could remove the locks. the key is usually in the glove box or the spare tire tray with the unused lug nuts. the locks are a dealer installed option - they just slow a thief down removing the wheels. most thieves have the set of 8 with them.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
My Pilot came with those. I took them off right away.

Looks like that 19mm socket video henni found will do the trick. Then, make sure you buy the correct wheel nut for the type rim you have. They vary by model year and rim style. I don't have updated info past 2009 MY.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same situation. Bought from a non-Honda lot and no key to be found in the vehicle. I tried to over complicate it too. Researching on line and all. In the end I just took it to a local Honda dealer and the parts counter person grabbed a box of them, came out to my truck and tried them till she found one that fit. Took about 5 minutes and cost less than $15 for the key I bought.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,604 Posts
I had the same situation. Bought from a non-Honda lot and no key to be found in the vehicle. I tried to over complicate it too. Researching on line and all. In the end I just took it to a local Honda dealer and the parts counter person grabbed a box of them, came out to my truck and tried them till she found one that fit. Took about 5 minutes and cost less than $15 for the key I bought.
Thanks to Paulr and LarryR! I learned something new and will keep this in mind if I ever loose my lug nut "key"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try this first. Just waiting for my license plates to arrive so I"m not driving on the lot with another dealer's advertising temps on the rig. (Thought I might get more helpful service that way. lol)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanting to get back on this. I followed your advice and it went perfect. Honda dealer grabbed the set of masters to ID the key and voila, $20 later and I have the key. Really didn't want to start banging on the lugs with a 19mm if possible so thanks a million.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts