Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Gary Flint, the Chief Engineer and "father" of the Ridgeline offered the below comments for those who have contributed to the Ridgeline Wikipedia article. I thought I'd post this to show you that he still cares about this project and is thankful to those who set the record straight:

"A little light reading. There was a great deal of time and effort put into this documentary-like record of the history of the Ridgeline. My hat 馃帺 is off to the contributors to dispel many of inaccuracies and untruths that are ranted by the un-informed and haters."

and

"Crazy walk down memory lane. Unbelievable amount of energy documenting the history."

NOTE:
Gary does not normally read or visit ROC any longer, but if you would like to post a comment for Gary I will ask him to read this thread in a few days. PLEASE do NOT ask for a response or expect him to reply. Gary is a very private person who is glad to be out of the spotlight. He's an engineer not a PR person.

For this thread off-topic responses will be deleted without comment or warning.

Thanks much,
-Joe

Administrator
Gary,

The work you did on the Honda Ridgeline has touched my life literally every...single...day for the last decade. If it weren't for you, I may have never bought and thoroughly enjoyed my first of four Ridgelines or participated on this forum. Your work is responsible for protecting me and my friends and family, getting us to and from our destinations, and allowing me to accomplish more things more easily. I'm not a "truck person", but I do occasionally need the utility of an open bed in a quiet, comfortable, and safe vehicle that is efficient for daily driving. There is no better vehicle for my needs than the Ridgeline. I strayed from the Ridgeline once, several years ago, and quickly realized what a mistake that was. The Honda brand in general and the Ridgeline, more specifically, have become a enormous part of my daily life thanks in part to you. Kudos for your accomplishments.

Warmest regards,
Roger

P.S. Joe, your contributions are greatly appreciated as well.

Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
Thanks for doing that Joe!

Please tell Gary that I'm obviously a big fan of his team's work on the Ridgeline and please share the following with him.

When the Honda Ridgeline first came out, I was almost ready to "pull the trigger" on a Chevy Avalanche but it was so damn big and I would not be able to drive it to work, due to having to park in a small parking garage. The Ford Sport Trac was too claustrophobic for me, given I was coming from a Ram 1500, but it had the capabilities I needed. When your Ridgeline came out, the design was quite impressive but not all that attractive to me and it's towing capacity was not as much as I really needed. After waiting a few years, my Ram was no longer viable and I needed to get a new truck. So I took a chance and focused on getting a 2009 model year Ridgeline hoping its updates would be enough to handle my towing and all-weather/all-terrain driving needs. After almost ten years of ownership, your team's work on the Ridgeline has not only surpassed my expectations but its engineering has earned my respect. As a former special operations soldier, earning my respect is not an easy thing to do but your work speaks for itself.

I wish you and your former and current teammates well and I thank you all for what you have done with the first generation Ridgeline. If I ever get to meet you Gary, your drinks are on me.

Here's my question: Why was a 5,000 lbs towing capacity (such a round number) chosen for the Ridgeline; why not 5,200 lbs or 4,800 lbs? What was the limiting factor that made your team choose 5,000 lbs as the advertized limit for towing?​

Registered
Tell him to keep his hand in and the next thing to truckify is that hybrid platform from the NSX with a Holden style 2 seater UTE body.

Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
Thank you for posting this, Joe.

For Gary: my deepest thanks for the incredible work you and your team did with what is undoubtedly the most useful and reliable vehicle still on the road today. I have owned my 2007 RTL since 2010 and it has literally been flawless for me with only DIY'd maintenance on my part. It's served as a road tripper, a family hauler, a stuff mover, a tailgating must-have, a weekend-warrior machine (some quite heavy loads in the bed) and my daily driver. It quite literally does everything I need it to do and more and I don't plan to move on from it until it literally does not move anymore. So from my family to you and yours... thank you.

My only question is this: throughout the many tailgates in which I've taken part with my RL at sporting events and concerts, I've come to realize that the square-shaped cupholder on the fold-down center part of the rear seat strangely is the perfect size and depth to house a fifth bottle of Jack Daniels. Being that a square cupholder is rare to begin with let alone one of that particular size, it's hard to believe this is a coincidence. Was that planned?*
*Disclaimer - drinking and driving is illegal and a really bad idea. Consumption of brown liquids from square-shaped bottles should only take place while the vehicle is stationary and a proper designated driver is used after the shenanigans are completed.*

Premium Member
Csimo (Joe), If you are still on contact with Gary Flint, would you mind asking if he could fix the links to his asume Ridgeline videos on his MySpace page or share them with us on another forum? There is some really good information on these videos that are available nowhere else.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
Or Post the Videos Directly on this site?

Administrator
I would like to watch the "Gary Flint Ride Along" video again. It used to be hosted at Temple of VTEC, but the links to three different formats of the video are dead. I've contacted the owner of VTEC.net to see if he's still got a copy.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #10
Csimo (Joe), If you are still on contact with Gary Flint, would you mind asking if he could fix the links to his asume Ridgeline videos on his MySpace page or share them with us on another forum? There is some really good information on these videos that are available nowhere else.
I sent the info to Gary. I'll let you know if or when he replies. Both he and I are travelling full time so it could be a while.

-Joe

Premium Member
I sent the info to Gary. I'll let you know if or when he replies. Both he and I are travelling full time so it could be a while.

-Joe
Thanks Joe. Safe travels!

Administrator
Discussion Starter #12
I did tell Gary about the MySpace issue but he apparently doesn't have access to MySpace anymore. He said that he thought most of it was on YouTube as well.

Premium Member
I did tell Gary about the MySpace issue but he apparently doesn't have access to MySpace anymore. He said that he thought most of it was on YouTube as well.
Some of it is and some of it is not. For example, his offroad video with the Gen1 is only on his MySpace page.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #15
I got with Gary again and he uploaded the video to Y
I got with Gary again and he uploaded the off-road video to YouTube.

Administrator
Thanks to you, @csimo, for your effort and thanks to Gary for uploading this video. I was taken back to the joys of owning my G1's and had forgotten how good the engine sounded relative to the quieter G2's.

Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
I had never seen that video. Very interesting to hear the built-in capabilities from Gary himself - who seems to be quite a non-excitable, straight-forward, to-the-point type of person. It's like he built a vehicle that matches him exactly - intelligent, capable, no-nonsense, logical, and a little out of the norm. It's perfect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts