Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't have a Ridge of my own.... yet, I am curious to find out how the Ridge handles in the ice and snow. Things like: how does the 4WD handle on the snow?, does the truck warm up in good time?, does the heater keep the cab warm.. front and rear?, clear the windshield, side windows and rear window of frost?

Has anyone put a snow plow on their Ridge yet???? ;) :D :D

Russ

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
You've got snow and no Ridge? We need you to have your truck up there to give us a report of how it handles in the far north.

Reports are starting to trickle in and it looks good. Islandgrl is on Kodiak and she's thrilled.

We were supposed to get blasted today, but only had mere flurries that melted right away in the valley. The mountains got covered though. If it tries again tomorrow it will stay white as the temps went down considerably.

I can only report so far about the front seat heater and defroster. I'm very impressed. We have the dual controls and it really works. The fan is very powerful and having it on high or 7 is rarely needed and then only until the desired temp is reached.

The defroster works great, but we haven't had a true hard freeze yet. But after driving a Trooper that required us leaving the defroster on full blast all the time in snowy weather and then still leaving pockets of undefrosted windows, the RL is amazing. Defrost on high clears the whole windshield in a hurry so far. We no longer have to leave it blowing hot air in my face. I always hated that in the Trooper.

I can't speak to the backseat heating, but my puppies are happy.

LR started this snowy thread on T-day. Maybe you missed it.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3534&highlight=backyard

·
Registered
138 Posts
We were hit with lots of snow on Thanksgiving. The RL actually heated up too well! We weren't even at the end of our street when our son complained that he was too hot.

I didn't drive, but my husband said that it felt like a tank (in a good way!). We drove over an hour on snow and ice and didn't slip once. Before we left, we went to an empty parking lot to try it out. The ABS is amazing. We had GM vehicles before and they were completely different then the ABS in the RL. We really tried to get it to really slide and it just wouldn't budge.

The defrost kicks in on high and it's only about 5-10 seconds until it is clear.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Glad to hear the defroster works so well in the Ridge. When I had my Trooper I had to keep it on full blast too, and it was a bit of a bother (windows in back were still steamed up).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm already seing misconception between the use of VSA ,and use of the VTM. VTM monitors traction of the front wheels to that of the rear. If the front wheels start slipping, it will transfer up to 70% of the torque to the rears. VSA monitors oversteer or under steer and corrects application of brakes to the appropriate wheel and control engine speed. VTM can lock all four wheel in drive (VTM 4). Locking VTM -4 should only be done when your actually stuck and as a last resort. You first have to shift to first, second or reverse. And at on time used beyound 18mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the heating wires located at the bottom of the windshield that heat the wiper blades ~ can anyone comment on how well they work in snowy/icy conditions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
ronel said:
What about the heating wires located at the bottom of the windshield that heat the wiper blades ~ can anyone comment on how well they work in snowy/icy conditions?
Is this a joke? If there are wires to heat the wiper blades, they don't work. I'm going to have to buy winter blades.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
There are no wires to heat the wiper blades. When the temperature reaches about 35 degress F, the base of the windshield is heated to keep the snow and ice melted so the wipers don't freeze to the windshield.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We drove the morning after a nice snowstorm up in Maine and also drove down backroads during a snow storm in Maine. Had to take the backroads to avoid the insanely slow plow in front of us with over a mile of backed up traffic going 15 in a 55 (it was unbearable). The Ridgeline was great even down the back roads which were pretty slippery. Things were going so well I was getting frustrated by the fact that I was gaining on anyone who was in front of me and having to wait for them to turn off somewhere.

I haven't noticed any problems with wipers during the snow, the heated wiper area seems to work fine, I have had ice get under my blades before and this didn't seem to happen at all. Even so, I probably will consider winter blades.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If chains is needed where do you recommend putting chains? Rear tires, front tires or both? I'm thinking of heading up north to mammoth and don't want to get caught with the zipper open. As of now there's no major snow storm coming to California, its one of those "just in case" scenarios. I like to plan ahead and also decided to put an e-Kit in the trunk with Change of clothes...you never know.."just in Case Scenarios"

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
thanx, didn't know it had one..also thanx for directions.:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I noticed this morning some ice on my wiper blades and was looking for the info on how the "Heated Wiper Zone" is supposed to work to try and diagnose the problem.

I started with some 'leftover' snow/ice from what fell yesterday on the bottom of the windshield and over the wipers and used the defrost to melt it away. There was still a little ice stuck to the blades when I got to work though.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
SSquire said:
I noticed this morning some ice on my wiper blades and was looking for the info on how the "Heated Wiper Zone" is supposed to work to try and diagnose the problem.

I started with some 'leftover' snow/ice from what fell yesterday on the bottom of the windshield and over the wipers and used the defrost to melt it away. There was still a little ice stuck to the blades when I got to work though.
The heated zone is supposed to come on automatically when the temp is below 35 or so.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I noticed the wipers thawed a few days ago when the temp was in the high 20's, and it worked well. Last night though, I drove home in a snow storm and the temp was below 10 degrees. the right wiper was a little iced up and didn't seem to thaw out during the crawl home, even with the wipers turned off for long periods of time.
The window thawed out better with the visors down, to keep the heat on the windshield.
The RL did great in the snow, I drove through 10" of unplowed snow in my neighborhood this morning.

·
Registered
670 Posts
In another thread I described driving in a blizzard today with near whiteout conditions. I had no problems going through the snow, and even climbing steep hills. But, frankly, that is what I expected. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
We got a couple of inches of wet snow today. I had to drive on the steepest hilss I could find (and we have steep hills in this town). The RL climbed the steepest one from a stop like I was on dry pavement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts