Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1721 - 1740 of 1756 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,688 Posts
I noticed that most posts are with Gen 1 Ridgeline. I have a horror story with my 2017 Gen 2 Ridgeline. Purchased a new Rockwood bumper pull camper. Dry weight 4200. Ridgeline rated at 5,000 with tow package & awd. We had 20k on the odometer (still under warranty) pulled 160 mi & had transmission failure Honda repaired & same failure 35 mi later. Mileage went from 25-26 to 8.6-8.7 Honda offered to help to get out from under our Ridgeline if I bought another Honda. Duh! Don't expect your Gen 2 to pull a camper within their specifications & don't expect Honda to stand behind their product. Extremely disappointed in the Ridgeline & Honda.
That's very unfortunate and certainly isn't the norm. Can you be more explicit about the nature of the transmission failure?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I noticed that most posts are with Gen 1 Ridgeline. I have a horror story with my 2017 Gen 2 Ridgeline. Purchased a new Rockwood bumper pull camper. Dry weight 4200. Ridgeline rated at 5,000 with tow package & awd. We had 20k on the odometer (still under warranty) pulled 160 mi & had transmission failure Honda repaired & same failure 35 mi later. Mileage went from 25-26 to 8.6-8.7 Honda offered to help to get out from under our Ridgeline if I bought another Honda. Duh! Don't expect your Gen 2 to pull a camper within their specifications & don't expect Honda to stand behind their product. Extremely disappointed in the Ridgeline & Honda.
Maybe you could post a copy or picture of the work order at the Honda dealer you had the transmission work done? It should show what was replaced or repaired.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gosh Rex. So sorry to hear that. Sure hope that things turn out better for you. As said above, dry weights on a travel trailer aren't helpful for determining how you really stand up vs specifications. For example, our Freedom Express 192RBS was stickered with a "dry weight" of 3,853 lbs from the factory. We know, however that when fully loaded up for up to a 3 week trip, CAT Scale weights show the trailer typically at 4600-4700 lbs with a tongue weight of 480-520 lbs. Our former G1 (2011 RTL) did a really great job of towing that configuration for over 12,000 miles with no issues over 2 1/2 years. We did virtually apply the "severe service" schedule procedures to our transmission and rear differential to err on the safe side - and as our manual suggested. Our mileage log notes our overall mpgs at 9.13 when towing.

We just made a deal on a 2018 RTL-E with the clear understanding that this truck will improve our towing experiences. There have been loads of positive experiences posted here about the towing capabilities and efficiencies of the G2. So much so that we were willing to take the plunge financially into this truck. But nothing is perfect, and your truck's experience is an example. And no dealer is perfect, either. So I'm wondering if you were to pursue this legitimate grievance up Honda's "food chain" that you would receive some genuine relief, one way or the other.

Being in the midst of the storm is not a fun place to be, but your individual truck surely seems to an outlier to everyone else's G2 towing performance. Hope somehow Honda can give some help.

·
Super Moderator
22,688 Posts
Did you weigh the trailer and car? I'm curious what they weighed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife and I have been shopping for a travel trailer the last few weeks.
We have seen a number we like for our family ranging between 3800-4200 dry weight.
The one we like best is a Jayco Jay Feather 7 model (7' wide) with a dry weight of 4020 lbs. The GVWR is 5500 lbs.

Our TV is a 2017 RTL-E.

I am somewhat concerned about the weight. Every dealer that we've been to (like 4-5 large RV dealers) don't seem overly concerned with a 5000 lb tow rated vehicle pulling a travel trailer this size.
In fact, they've all hinted that they wouldn't go beyond 4200 lbs but under that should be fine. I know they are in the business of moving units and our safety probably isn't there #1 concern.

We will not be pulling with full fresh/gray/black tanks - maybe 2-3 gallons tops to use the bathroom while en route.
We will fill the fresh tank upon arriving at our destination and dump the gray/black tanks prior to returning home.
We will not bringing a generator.
Packing the trailer and truck will consist of mainly people - 2 adults and 2 kids, dogs - 1 small 1 medium, clothing, food and maybe a bike or two...possibly an unreasonable amount of canned beer (don't judge me).
We will also have the usual accouterments of camp chairs, hoses, extension cords, levelling blocks etc.

For the hitch, we are installing the equal-i-zer E2 WDH with built in sway control along with either the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 EBC.

I suspect most of our trips will be within 50-150 miles but occasionally may venture further. I'd say almost all of our routes would be flat to "hilly" but definitely not mountainous. We live in Eastern PA and may occasionally have to navigate the "foothills of the pocono mountains".

Are we pushing it?
Looking for reasonable opinions. Reasonable meaning the opposite of people who are either A) hyper conservative or B) like to push the limits to the extreme :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Get it and see how it goes. You may find you want a bigger camper anyway just because you'll have 4 people in it. That's the biggest limiter that i see. 4 people like bigger spaces. You may be trading up to a full size truck to pull the bigger camper down the road. Your call though!

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Get it and see how it goes. You may find you want a bigger camper anyway just because you'll have 4 people in it. That's the biggest limiter that i see. 4 people like bigger spaces. You may be trading up to a full size truck to pull the bigger camper down the road. Your call though!

Steve
We are actually a family of 3, but with the option for my son to bring a friend along when possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: Ridgelines can tow (photos)

I tow a 3895# dry weight camper with a Gen 1 Ridgeline and a family of four. Mine does fine towing unless I get in the mountains. It does not do long steep uphill grades at highway speeds. :) But here in Mississippi, it tows just fine.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller, tow with nearly empty tanks, etc as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
We've been towing our 2011 Jay Feather Hybrid TT for years now (see photos https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/33-racks-hitches-towing/12327-ridgelines-can-tow-photos-post565756.html#post565756) with our 2008 Ridge with no problems. The 2G Ridge does have more power, irrespective, I wouldn't push it. You'll definitely see a drop in MPG (who doesn't when towing!) and downshifting for the hills. We sometimes wish we had the model with the slide out for a little more space, and I expect it would not be a problem with the added weight. Best thing I like about the hybrid is you don't waste floor space two beds would otherwise take up. The Jayco is a well built trailer! Happy camping!

·
Registered
398 Posts
We've been towing this Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS for over 15,000 miles since August, 2015 and loved every mile of it. 12,000+ miles were with our previous 2011 RTL. Got this 2018 RTL-E last December and the fun continues. Last year's major trip was from our home base in the Houston area to the Black Hills in South Dakota. That was the last big trip with the 2011. This year's major trip was with this RTL-E to the Midwest. Explored central Illinois where friends live, southern Indiana (Brown County State Park was spectacular!), and eastern and southeastern Ohio and saw great history and scenery.

Looped back up through northern Indiana to tour the Coachmen factory - very informative. Navigated Chicago freeways as we headed west and south back through central Illinois, Missouri (the Ozarks are always gorgeous) and then through the beautiful Quchita Mountains in eastern Oklahoma. Tyler State Park in north Texas is as good as it gets. This RTL-E enables an even better towing experience partly due to driver assist features like LKAS, ACC and BSM. We just arrive at our camping destinations more relaxed than even before.

Next trip - at the end of August a short two hour run down to Galveston Island State Park on the beach. Some redfish and speckled trout are calling my name! 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Very nice. Similar looking to my Rockwood Mini Lite. I originally had a 07 I towed it with and have been using my 17 RTL since 2 years ago. We head to Maine Saturday for a week, then home for a few days and then off to Cape Cod (North Truro) for a week then home for 2 weeks and off to visit our son in Topping VA at Grey's Point CG where he is the recreation director. We'll spend a week there. And 2 weeks ago we spent a week in the Saratoga region of NY which is where the southern part of the Adirondacks start. Thankfully I can do much of my job remotely and those that need on site service I get to in between trips.

The pic is when I was parked for the weekend and left the rig attached to the truck.

We live in Western MA.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2008 G1 towing a 19' travel trailer which as a 4,000 lbs gross weight, and the trailer is fully loaded. I'm using a weight distributing hitch here.

With that said, I just bought a 2019 G2 model and I'm adding 255/60-18 tires and a 2" Traxda lift. Once this is set-up I'll post a pic towing the same trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just posted a question about towing, if you dont mind me asking, what was the weight of that enclosed trailer loaded? I have a boat that I need to tow 700 miles with my 07 RTL. The boat and trailer together are about 4800 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
I just posted a question about towing, if you dont mind me asking, what was the weight of that enclosed trailer loaded? I have a boat that I need to tow 700 miles with my 07 RTL. The boat and trailer together are about 4800 lbs.
Although mine is an 09 with a slightly different engine and transmission, checkout my thread on towing a heavy boat over 1,000 miles: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/20-dear-honda-feedback-forum/62922-my-trip-lake-cumberland.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2008 G1 towing a 19' travel trailer which as a 4,000 lbs gross weight, and the trailer is fully loaded. I'm using a weight distributing hitch here.

With that said, I just bought a 2019 G2 model and I'm adding 255/60-18 tires and a 2" Traxda lift. Once this is set-up I'll post a pic towing the same trailer.
I decided against the lift kit on my G2, I didn't want to complicate things when it performs so well.

Attachments

1721 - 1740 of 1756 Posts