Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have read many reviews on this model and have taken one out and since have made a preliminary deal. I was impressed with the unit I test drove and realize it’s a truck. I am trading down from a Grand Cherokee Overland loaded with Hemi, which I have no use for any longer as my towing needs have changed. I can’t believe someone is knocking the Ridgeline over cup holders. The last thing I would think of. The niche of this vehicle is a utility vehicle with creature comforts that others are missing. I never owned a full size and don’t want one as I look at what fits most of my needs. I think the Ridgeline is going to do it!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Full disclosure requires that I reveal that I no longer own a Ridgeline. I loved my Gen 1 and we had a wonderful 250K together. While waiting for the Gen 2, I purchased a Tundra and I'm sure I could list a number of "compromises". What I find from the various manufacturing forums is that each segment is especially loyal to their purchased vehicle, regardless of the brand. What I also notice is that if anyone comes into the forum with any sort of criticism they receive a verbal beat down that no one would dare do in person. Bottom line: its his money and your money. Enjoy your purchase, regardless of what you ended up with.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
A bit disappointed with the new Ridgeline. Although some things are better, some things were compromised:
1. No sliding rear window on base model.
2. Center console not as good.
3. Headlights not programmable for door open when on auto.
4. Dash lighting and displays lacking.
5. VCM on a V6, give me a break.
6. No roof and mirror ridges for aerodynamics, reduced sound and strength.
7. The cup holders absolutely suck.
Many GenII owners pick on previous GenI owners. GenI owners where spoiled with an ugly truck that had all the conveniences. Fast forward to the GenII and the GenI owners see all that has been taken away. GenI owners can see where the engineers where left on the sidelines to produce a cosmetic Kardashian pleasing truck. In addition to the list above... Honda pushes the GenII out with many problems that should have been caught in engineering ( for ex. - rear VTM wiring exposed/ tailgate wiring harness pinching / full size spare does not fit /rear door opening / ) Some on this forum may recall Raz... He is much older and needs all the door width to get in and out.. the extended door stops would not help out much.

So why do Gen1 owners buy a GenII- Yes for many things it beats the competition (the swing gate, fold up rear seats/ the trunk albeit smaller /driver operated back window on upper models etc)

After 15 years of running the same Gen1 platform not much was changed from the 1st year production to the last years production. With the GenII you would expect the electronics to be upgraded with all the current nannies... But the nuts and bolts on the Gen1 where better... IMO

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have read many reviews on this model and have taken one out and since have made a preliminary deal. I was impressed with the unit I test drove and realize it’s a truck. I am trading down from a Grand Cherokee Overland loaded with Hemi, which I have no use for any longer as my towing needs have changed. I can’t believe someone is knocking the Ridgeline over cup holders. The last thing I would think of. The niche of this vehicle is a utility vehicle with creature comforts that others are missing. I never owned a full size and don’t want one as I look at what fits most of my needs. I think the Ridgeline is going to do it!
A comfortable utility vehicle - exactly. I had a first generation Ridgeline for almost 9 years, and its usefulness and comfort/ease of use always amazed me. Now I have a 2019, which is even more refined.

Btw, had a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland hemi until last January - luxurious & fun.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Many GenII owners pick on previous GenI owners. GenI owners where spoiled with an ugly truck that had all the conveniences. Fast forward to the GenII and the GenI owners see all that has been taken away. GenI owners can see where the engineers where left on the sidelines to produce a cosmetic Kardashian pleasing truck. In addition to the list above... Honda pushes the GenII out with many problems that should have been caught in engineering ( for ex. - rear VTM wiring exposed/ tailgate wiring harness pinching / full size spare does not fit /rear door opening / ) Some on this forum may recall Raz... He is much older and needs all the door width to get in and out.. the extended door stops would not help out much.

So why do Gen1 owners buy a GenII- Yes for many things it beats the competition (the swing gate, fold up rear seats/ the trunk albeit smaller /driver operated back window on upper models etc)

After 15 years of running the same Gen1 platform not much was changed from the 1st year production to the last years production. With the GenII you would expect the electronics to be upgraded with all the current nannies... But the nuts and bolts on the Gen1 where better... IMO
I really loved my 2007 and used it well. Don’t know if my 2019 is built as well, but time catches up with all machines. It was time for something new, and where should I have turned - to a Tacoma, Ranger, Canyon? Nah. Drove an F150 - way too big....my wife said she would never drive it. Not a lot of viable competitors, as you noted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Funny that folks dislike the cupholders. I keep seeing people say that. For me I find they are the best cupholders I've had in any vehicle...ever. Maybe this is just an issue of personal preference?

There are things about the center console compartment -- such as the door being flat enough setting things down on top of when closed, the spaciousness of the compartment, the two lug nuts under the rubber mat that make installing various options a breeze, the cute (though flimsy) sliding tray -- superior to just about anything else I've owned. Again...maybe a personal preference thing?

VCM (i.e. Variable Cylinder Management in "Eco" mode) works great on any V6...that's what it was designed for (across the entire Honda line). So...what's the issue with that exactly? I'm finding it to be pretty useful for city driving fuel economy.

I agree about the dash lighting and displays...although I like rotating through the different screens to check my oil status, tire pressure, range in miles, etc. while driving (i.e. via the button on the steering wheel). Call me a geek, but I really enjoy having that info.

My Ridgeline cab is INCREDIBLY quiet at any speed...more so than any other truck I've owned (Dodge, Ford, GM)...so maybe there aren't "ridges" that help -- but why are these necessary?

Headlight programmability would actually be nice -- what other trucks have that?

On the pro-side, I keep finding really cool features that I didn't know about when I purchased my 2019 Ridgeline, such as:
  1. The "hill hugger" feature (similar to a Subaru I once drove).
  2. The auto trans "deceleration" low gearing feature that apparently is a Honda thing (i.e. when going down hills, etc.)
  3. Just how well the different drive modes work in off-road conditions (i.e. really well).
  4. The fact that my music auto-launches when I get in the car (i.e. the radio connects to my Android and starts playing my last selection...even if I haven't launched the app!)
  5. The quality of the sound system (I have an RTL...not sure if that's better than base model)
On the cons-side, however:
  1. Ground clearance in the front is absolutely AWEFUL. I installed a JSport skid plate and I'm glad I did...I've already scraped the crap out of it going over pretty tame dirt roads.
  2. The brakes are not great. When I compare the rotor size on my Ridgeline to everything else I own...and other trucks on the street...I feel pretty "inadequate."
  3. My transmission shifts hard and at odd times. Only 600+ miles though so far, so maybe I need to break it in more?
So far I'm pretty pleased with this vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Stick a skinny drink like a water or pop can in there and let me know your thoughts. That is why others have fingers or a side pressure. None in the RL, rock & roll back in forth on acceleration and brakes..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I am still impressed with much on my 2019 RL Sport after a few minor mods. The S-VCM addition rocks ! All six cylinders on the job and keeping an even temperature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some things I miss from my last ride
  • Cruise control target speed somewhere in the display
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror with a sturdy feel. The one in my RTL feels dollar store quality
  • BTobd access to various temps, oil, coolant, and trans. Why honda?
Adaptive CC shoul be standard. I'm going to put a good 30k miles a year. I'm amazed by how many people dont use CC on the highway or crawl in the left lane or the elephant racing.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Some things I miss from my last ride
  • Cruise control target speed somewhere in the display
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror with a sturdy feel. The one in my RTL feels dollar store quality
  • BTobd access to various temps, oil, coolant, and trans. Why honda?
Adaptive CC shoul be standard. I'm going to put a good 30k miles a year. I'm amazed by how many people dont use CC on the highway or crawl in the left lane or the elephant racing.
Get the OEM auto-dimming mirror (I bought mine from College Hills Honda). It’s very sturdy, so much so that an aftermarket amp and subwoofer don’t make it rattle or even move. The OEM mirror in the RTL trim was flimsy as hell, a joke. One of the first things I changed.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts