Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
That logo looks like a Renault logo after Thanksgiving dinner.

Anywho, it has the lines of a traditional pickup, only much uglier than the G1 concept. Starting at almost $62,000 (after that fancy rebate), it still $16.5K more than every other top of the line mid-size pickup (not including the upcoming Ranger Raptor). Range of 250~400 miles may not be true when you tow 4500lbs though it is said to tow 11K lbs. Payload is advertised as 1764lbs and is around 200lbs higher than avg mid-size limit.

Time will tell what this thing will bring about and who it will attract. I also wonder if their R1S SUV is uglier than the R1T. :nerd:

in the Below image, the F150s are the test mules and was featured in an article from two months ago. Though the article says Rivian performing some tests, I will not be surprised if Ford was actually doing the testing, with Rivian's partnership.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Not bad but that ugly front end has to be changed if they really want to sell any of them!

Steve

Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
Honda could take a cue from that tailgate. Full dropdown to access the trunk AND have built-in steps for climbing up into the bed. I wonder if anybody has a patent on that design?

Additionally, add some retractable side supports for a horizontal gate when you need to transport plywood/drywall/dirtbikes...

Attachments

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
@longboat: I could not locate any patents in regards to the tailgate, its swing, or the built in steps. I would be very skeptical climbing up on those. I would prefer the Ford and GM's tailgate design, that are patented.

I could only dig up four patents for 1) ELECTRIC VEHICLE THERMAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM WITH BATTERY HEAT STORAGE 2) systems & methods for modular components for EVs, 3) Systems and methods for reconfigurable electric vehicles, 4) Systems and methods for monitoring and enhancing utilization of batteries for electric vehicles. The #1 was with Rivian Automotive LLC (09/2017) and the others were wih Rivian IP Holdings (#2: 01/2016 | #3: 01/2016 | #4: 05/2017). Nothing earth shattering in regards to these patents as the ideas for these go back to late 1990s.

Rivian IP Holdings & Rivian Automotive, LLC seem to have 3 big investors with one being undisclosed (prob Abdul Latif Jameel), Standard Chartered and Sumitomo Corp of Americas; with the latter being a minority. I actually thing this is a very expensive science experiment like the Karma that got killed by bad management and then purchased by the Chinese.

Going back to the R1T truck, it sems to come with three options; 105KWh (400hp), 135KWh (700hp??), and 180KWh (750hp) which yields a range of 230mi, 300mi, and 400mi respectively. Oh yeah, they say it can accelerate 0-60 in 3 sec. :nerd:

Anyone who wants to read more, take a look at here >> https://hothardware.com/news/rivian-r1t-all-electric-pickup-boasts-750-horsepower-400-mile-range. Bastards only mention the Ridgeline ONCE in the article....... disgrace.

Registered
2014 Sport
Already a thread on it . . .and posted in the correct section too:)

Moderator Note: Threads Merged

Thanks for the assistance, @eurban

4 1/2' long bed is too short. The GenI's bed at 5' is a bit short already. Hopefully the production vehicle will have a more "standard" short bed pickup length.

Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Already a thread on it . . .and posted in the correct section too:)

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...ucks-bikes/214470-rivian-electric-pickup.html
I see that. Thanks for the heads up. I see, too, where Danke has just posted several pics. A hot topic no doubt.

I've said time and time again, after 12 years of owning my '07, that I'd never get another vehicle unless it was an EV, you know, trying to step up to the plate ecologically and all. But a truck is my preference, and it's been slim pickings in that category. The Rivian is right up my alley. Affording it would take some creative financing.

Bed is short, but I'm sure extension bars over the tailgate will be among the many accessories Rivian will offer when it premiers for sale. Then I'd have to be convinced the 2nd half of the cab is roomy enough. Still it's one of the slickest designs I've seen in a new model coming right out of the gate.

Registered
I think the introduction of the Rivian, and the Gladiator to an extent, are a turning point in the industry. They may not be exactly what I want in a vehicle, but there is lots of thinking going into these vehicles. The Rivian is completely game changing, and a look into the future. Handheld rechargeable flashlights that pop out of the doors: how cool is that? The interior storage of the Gladiator is interesting, (locking, so you can walk away from the truck with the doors removed and your stuff is safe) as well as the detachable bluetooth speakers as some have commented is a much better idea than Honda in-bed exciters. I'm more excited by some of this innovation than I've been in years. I hope by the comments that some have received Honda surveys, that Honda is putting thought into the Ridgeline refresh.

Also: that pull down door on the side of the Rivian truck: I saw a video this morning of a guy using that as a step to reach into the bed or onto the top of the vehicle. So, it can support weight.

Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
The Rivian is completely game changing, and a look into the future. I hope by the comments that some have received Honda surveys, that Honda is putting thought into the Ridgeline refresh.
I could not agree more. RIVIAN's designer knew his stuff before going in and that the truck would turn the industry on its head. And it seems more than coincidental that GM's unfortunate announcement this week included --- among its reasons --- the need to seriously retool -- especially in the EV department. I think GM execs (and those of many other automakers) got advance word of the Rivian rollout and asked, "Can you say Left in the Dust?"

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a truck since the G1 Ridge debuted.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
@oarnold, I would not call this a 'game changer'. This is essentially taking the Tesla Philosophy by fund raising by an entrepreneur who seems to employ around 600 folks and bring a prototype in the last 10 years. The reason I say this is because I am a hard sell; one cannot just mimic an existing concept and bring it forth as a game changer.

Just like Tesla bought an abandoned manufacturing plant, Rivian bought one in MI that belonged to Mitsubishi.
Just like Tesla made its own 18650 batteries with 95% capacity after 500 cycles than the leading Panasonic (main market) with only 70%, Rivian is making its own batteries. (Yes Panasonic makes the 18650 for Tesla, along with Tesla. We also all know that the Model 3, powerpacks, & powerwalls use the new 2170 batteries)
Just like Tesla making plug in vehicles compete with the average range of a pure gasoline powered car, Rivian is coming out with a pickup that has the range of a typical pure gasoline pickup (that has around 19 to 35 gallon fuel tank).

The problem is the price and class they compete in.

Model S ($78K) competes in the Large luxury car market and with the S-Class ($90K), Panamera ($85K), 7-Series ($83K), Lexus LS ($75K), Genesis G90 ($69), A8 ($82.5K), so on and so forth. These prices are their starting price and we all know that NO one pays the bare basic.

The Rivian R1T ($62K) is the size of a F150 ($28K) but tows like a F250 ($33K) or a 2500HD ($35.5K) but has a usability of a midsize pickup. Even the most high price and loaded midsize pickups top out at mid $45K. Though the midsize pickup market is very competitive, I wonder how competitive the $62K price tag is going to be. You can have all the bells and whistles in the R1T, but who will buy it at that price? Probably those who want to buy the F150 Raptor, which cant tow or carry much, but can go offroading and weights around 6600lbs, but thr R1T cant do what the Raptor F150 does.

So essentially, where does the Rivian R1T actually fit? Who is it tailored for? What would be its main function? What is this going to be an alternate for? These are some of many very market specific questions you want to address. We know the struggle Elon had with the Model S, but Elon had money from his previous industry sales to keep him afloat. I will wait to see what 2020 brings as the R1T is set to go on production then. Rivian needs more money and diverse investors. I think the LA Show was essentially a gateway to that . Hope something great comes out of this and it does not become a very expensive project.

Rivian R1T Specs are below

Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
Rivian RT1 Electric Pickup

Saw this today, I like AoA videos, and the lucky sob put a down payment on one of these. I love my G2, but if Honda ends up nixing the ridgeline down the road, this could be my next choice. The tailgate drop is interesting and the built in air compressor hookup with an air ride suspension is hilarious. Oh and 788hp is nice...

Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
Re: Rivian RT1 Electric Pickup

Awesome truck with some really cool features, but at over $60k, not really comparable to a Ridgeline
Agreed. However, it is slightly bigger, way more power, and fully electric. My ridgeline is 27 months old. I plan to have it for at least 5 years or more. While the Rivian truck may not be around by then, this is the way we are going so it's nice to see the future work trucks are going to be halfway decent and capable as all electric. Not perfect, but better than I expected to see from an all electric pickup.

Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
@oarnold, I would not call this a 'game changer'. This is essentially taking the Tesla Philosophy by fund raising by an entrepreneur who seems to employ around 600 folks and bring a prototype in the last 10 years.
We鈥檒l just have agree to disagree on whether the Rivian represents a game-changer. You don鈥檛 spring onto the scene turning heads the way the Rivian has without its designers knowing full well there鈥檚 an exploding EV market ripe to mine. By my count, at least 4 ROC members posted threads on it before they were consolidated into this one. That's turning heads.

The Rivian folk can thank Musk for what he's started, never mind his struggles along the way. That鈥檚 typical rough and tumble whenever you shake it up. Tesla鈥檚 production issues, since solved, come with the territory as a startup. And what automaker new or old can claim they鈥檝e never had a recall?

For all of Tesla鈥檚 problems, Musk, if he鈥檚 accomplished anything, has broken through the paradigm that use to have consumers seeing nothing but the combustion engine.

And before critics knock Tesla鈥檚 business model, and Rivian鈥檚 apparent embrace of it, they鈥檒l have to explain why Tesla has become the number 1 choice of up-and-coming engineers 鈥 who鈥檙e jumping at the chance to work there. So much so they鈥檙e passing up other offers paying as much as 50% higher salaries. (Tesla Is the Hot Spot for Young Job Seekers-Wall Street Journal).

https://apple.news/A-8lUHZIOTpmSmxy5QVHOaA

Clearly, the Rivian is more evidence the demand for electric vehicles is big and getting bigger. Are EV's faster, more powerful, quieter, more efficient, environmentally cleaner and require less maintenance? That鈥檚 the pitch they鈥檒l have live up to.

If that鈥檚 not an impressive, bombshell list of specs, I don鈥檛 know what is, to say nothing of the Rivian鈥檚 sleek, futuristic understated look. Does anyone honestly think the new generation of truck enthusiasts will ignore it?

If there is a market for the Rivian, which I can鈥檛 imagine the company overlooked, the truck is off and running regardless of its sticker price. What鈥檚 the R1T an alternate for? Everything out there in a truck up till now. That鈥檚 its appeal and why it鈥檒l no doubt be hard-sold as a one-of-a-kind truck beyond compare.

Whether it鈥檚 a car or pickup, the EV revolution is a train that鈥檚 left the station and gaining momentum. I鈥檓 on board.

Super Moderator
The Rivian is a game changer for trucks like Tesla did to cars. But it only appeals to those who want a truck to be eco friendly. I am an example of that as I'd buy a eco friendly one without regard to the toughness that truck buyers go for. But, i do consider price a factor and that's going to be the biggest issue for even eco friendly people. I don't think it'll fail though as there will be plenty or buyers for even a untested company since it's in the hottest market you can get into right now. Trucks are where it's at. A electric ECO truck no matter how goofy looking the front end is will sell. And possibly leases will be successful too due to the price of it.

There will be a lot of interest in it and if Tesla doesn't notice this and consider buying them too I'd be surprised. Joined together those companies could make a difference in the truck market like has happened with cars.

Steve

Premium Member
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
The Rivian is a game changer for trucks like Tesla did to cars. But it only appeals to those who want a truck to be eco friendly. I am an example of that as I'd buy a eco friendly one without regard to the toughness that truck buyers go for. But, i do consider price a factor and that's going to be the biggest issue for even eco friendly people. I don't think it'll fail though as there will be plenty or buyers for even a untested company since it's in the hottest market you can get into right now. Trucks are where it's at. A electric ECO truck no matter how goofy looking the front end is will sell. And possibly leases will be successful too due to the price of it.

There will be a lot of interest in it and if Tesla doesn't notice this and consider buying them too I'd be surprised. Joined together those companies could make a difference in the truck market like has happened with cars.

Steve
Can you say merger? I wonder how many pre-orders have been taken. From what I've read, the company isn't breathing a word.

I remember telling my wife when Tesla's debuted its 1st production model in '08 the pressure was on, and that if Musk had indeed proven the naysayers wrong -- with not just style but also substance -- I was done with combustion engines.

Course, I've been holding out for a truck. With the intro of the Rivian, I may have boxed myself into a corner. Now that we know a swanky truck with meat on the bone is an obvious big player among EV's, let's see who else jumps into the game and what competition will do to force Rivian's sticker price south.

Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
14.17 inches of ground clearance is insane. That alone would make it worth upgrading from the Ridgeline. I like the vehicle. The price is going to be high, but the government will help us all out with that.

You can put down a $1000 deposit and they will send you some Rivian swag. It seem like a great option with plenty of power for towing. They even used the Ridgeline idea of hiding the spare tire underneath the bed.

EV's are here to stay. Be one of the first to purchase the Rivian and you could open a YouTube channel to help pay for it.

Reactions: news2u and coolbob
1 - 20 of 84 Posts