Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a good bit of research and have found a lot of helpful information from this forum that has made installing the wiring harness on my 2014 Sport relatively easy. However, I haven't had much success using my homemade rivnut tool. I think the most difficult part has been the angle and using hand tools while trying to apply enough pressure to crimp the nut. Trying to find the tool or even a mechanic or electrician with one I can borrow has been equally as difficult.

I'm reaching out for tips on either using my homemade tool or alternatives for installing. I've considered drilling new holes on the receiver and using sheet metal screws to mount the bracket. I'd prefer to do it the right way and am getting closer to buying the tool, though I would rather not if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Sorry Paulding, but your post doesn't give a good picture of your dilemma. Given that uncertainty, all I can say is try Harbor Freight if you need a particular tool (rivnut installation tool in this case?) that you won't have to use a lot in the future. They are usually very affordable, and pretty effective, if not high quality.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, but good luck with your efforts.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm installing the OEM wiring harness on my 14 Sport. The receiver hitch came installed by either the factory or dealership when I bought it. There are 3 pre drilled holes on the bottom of the receiver to mount the bracket that holds the round 7 pin connector. I've already installed the under the hood and dash parts (relays, controller, and fuses). The rear end parts are all that remain (pigtail/round connector and bracket).

I'm In Paulding Co in GA.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up buying a threaded nut inserter from Harbor Freight. It came supplied with several rivet nuts. Since the tool didn't wasn't threaded for the Honda supplied nuts, I ended up using the 1/4-20 size and bought some 1/4" bolts, lock washers, and blue locktite. Now my install is complete.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I ended up buying a threaded nut inserter from Harbor Freight. It came supplied with several rivet nuts. Since the tool didn't wasn't threaded for the Honda supplied nuts, I ended up using the 1/4-20 size and bought some 1/4" bolts, lock washers, and blue locktite. Now my install is complete.
'Hope you used corrosion resistant hardware! :act030:

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Good job. I don't understand why the harness doesn't come standard on all models?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good job. I don't understand why the harness doesn't come standard on all models?
Agreed. I know there are plenty of accessories you can get for a class III hitch but what's another 100 bux on top of the MSRP when it comes with a hitch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts