Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
would you buy it if it starts at 30,000 for FWD?
no way!

starting prices:
Chevy colorado : $20,100
Tacoma: $23,300
GMC CAnyon: $20,995
NIssan Frontier: $18,290

based on this I would say base price around $21-22K
If Honda wants to boost initial sales they should start the base just under the Chevy Colorado
Unfortunately with a few things missing on this Ridgeline, it is not a must have vehicle.
Its a good vehicle, but no way should they attempt to price this above the competition.

I understand that the Pilot starts at $30K, but I doubt it will work for the Truck if your wanting to see good numbers on qty sold.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The truck is just too boring..... no amount of discounts will change my mind unfortunately.....I expect it to be around 37 -38k start in Canada:act043:

·
Registered
152 Posts
no way!

starting prices:

If Honda wants to boost initial sales they should start the base just under the Chevy Colorado
Unfortunately with a few things missing on this Ridgeline, it is not a must have vehicle.
Its a good vehicle, but no way should they attempt to price this above the competition.

I understand that the Pilot starts at $30K, but I doubt it will work for the Truck if your wanting to see good numbers on qty sold.

Often less than 5% of any vehicles actually sell at base..........they have a low base price to advertise..........but they actually make very very few vehicle at the base configuration.

At one time Pilot and Odyssey sold 75% at EXL trim and higher.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would expect to be at about 40k for AWD from a Honda, the Pilot base prices are high for reference.

·
Registered
149 Posts
no way!

starting prices:

What you quote is misleading. Honda doesn't have a base model configured like any of those.

What are the starting prices of comparable configurations to the Ridgeline? You must start with at least a V6, 4-door crew cab, short bed (5-6ft) configuration. Given that, I'll bet Honda is very close to other mid-size trucks. And, they will all be around $30K for 2 wheel drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
The Tacoma starts at around $32,000 for a model equipped similarly to the Base Ridgeline--AWD double cab short bed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The base Ridgeline, like most Hondas, will be lease bait.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well the difference base between Honda and the rest is that Honda will come standard as a crew cab, where all else will be single cab and or extended cab, so it is more fair to compare crew cabs to crew cabs.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The Tacoma starts at around $32,000 for a model equipped similarly to the Base Ridgeline--AWD double cab short bed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
But the Question was about 2WD base version when it comes available.
Well the difference base between Honda and the rest is that Honda will come standard as a crew cab, where all else will be single cab and or extended cab, so it is more fair to compare crew cabs to crew cabs.
Exactly!

·
Registered
149 Posts
And, V6 to V6 engines.

I used the online Build tool and priced out a Tacoma (V6, 2WD, crew cab, short bed) and it came to $29,595. This is your starting price before other packages and options.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just built a Tacoma on toyota website with everyhting i want: crew cab short box, 4x4, v6 six-speed, tow package, etc. $30,465 msrp

Also built a similar Chevy Colorado, came out to $31,100 msrp (it has a nice mid console everyone has been crying about)

Now im willing to pay a little more for a honda with the unique features and reliability, but if i cant get similar package for say $34,000 its no deal.. VCM is a concern, MPG i dont see being much better than the competition, and if VCM is required to beat the competition at 28mpg then whats the point.

Honda can make this an EASY decision by keeping the price tag at/under $34,000.

·
Registered
526 Posts
no way!

starting prices:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I actually believe that pricing along with the lack of advertising is what really killed Ridgeline sales.

Many people who may have been vaguely interested in the truck would see how much an entry level one cost and look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, they didn't consider that all Ridgelines came with V6s, they were all crew cabs, and they all had AWD. It also had a dual action bed and a trunk features no other truck possessed.

Hopefully the FWD only models will be priced cheap enough to get people into dealership lots. Once there, lack of features in a lower price model will quickly have them test driving a more expensive one (bait and switch). This formula usually works every time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I actually believe that pricing along with the lack of advertising is what really killed Ridgeline sales.

Many people who may have been vaguely interested in the truck would see how much an entry level one cost and look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, they didn't consider that all Ridgelines came with V6s, they were all crew cabs, and they all had AWD. It also had a dual action bed and a trunk features no other truck possessed.

Hopefully the FWD only models will be priced cheap enough to get people into dealership lots. Once there, lack of features in a lower price model will quickly have them test driving a more expensive one (bait and switch). This formula usually works every time.
This +1! I actually was initially looking for a Toyota Tacoma because I thought the Ridgeline was out of my price league. However, a friend at work recommended looking at the Ridgeline, and when I did so I found that Honda was offering huge incentives at the time (this was early 2008) to move the trucks. The rest, as they say, is history and I wound up getting a new 2008 Ridgeline for almost the same price as a comparable crew cab Tacoma. The Ridge was superior in almost every way to the Taco: bigger interior, full time 4WD (the Taco I was considering only had 2WD), the in-bed trunk, about the same fuel mileage and VTM lock for off road use.

Hopefully with the 2nd generation Honda will price them more competitively than before so that people will actually look at the trucks without having to offer incentives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts