Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Im the new guy here. My GF and I are considering a new SUV-Truck type of vehilce purchase.We had decided on the jeep liberty sport 4WD untill i saw the RL tv commercial. We went out to eat one day and afterwards we went to the local honda dealer to look at one. The GF wasnt to impresed at first,but after a short test drive, she liked it. I never thought I would ever be in a honda dealership, bieng a dodge guy, but I just love this thing(RL) and have to have one. The brochure says it will tow 5000# so it will do just fine to tow my drag car and trailer. The only thing I could not figure out was if the RL has a "low range" capibility. Like the stick in the floor of my '87 ram 4x4 2H-4H-4L . Does it have a low range ? Regaredless we will prolly buy one anyway.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The VTM-4 has a locking low range that can only be used on slippery surfaces at speeds up to 18mph.

You should realize that the drive system is not a true part-time 4WD system, no matter what the tailgate says. It's an AWD system. It runs in FWD mode most of the time.

That said, it's a great truck. It does everything I need and a whole lot more.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Former Dodge guy myself. Traded a Durango R/T for the Ridgeline and couldn't be happier. The horse power may be lower, but the tranny gear combinations and lighter curb weight easily make up. No problems towing. The Durango had a "4L" on a stick and in 5 years I used it once to pull someone out of a ditch and probably didn't really have to.

The Ridgeline does not have 4 low but I don't miss it so far. First gear, which you can lock in, seems pretty low and the Honda V-tec engine likes to operate at higher RPMs. Lots of torque!

Jeep Liberty?!? They're cute but I hope you're not waiting for anybody on this web site to tell you that's the way to go. I think a Liberty might fit in the bed of a Ridgeline if you leave the tailgate open :rolleyes: Anybody try?

·
Registered
167 Posts
We'll have both (hopefully today!)--my wife drives a Liberty and she loves it. We don't tow anything so I can't speak for that and we're not hardcore offroaders so I can't speak for that either. In fact, although it's a fun "truck" to drive, I don't drive it much and that's why the Ridgeline will be my truck. Mine all mine. I still laugh when I remember her reasons for liking the Liberty at first sight: the lightbar (Renegade model) and bolt-on looking fender flares. I always say it and I'll say it again: women, they're a wonderful being but I don't understand 'em (although I do try). ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
how much does your trailor and car weight combined.....??

see if the dealer has one with tow package and take it for a test.

I will confirm the RL won't notice the weight as far as handling goes but if your trailor is enclosed type with lots of windage or frontage you'll really notice it as 50mph plus.

If its an open type....your golden.......you'll love it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
WM23N1 said:
Hello Im the new guy here. My GF and I are considering a new SUV-Truck type of vehilce purchase.We had decided on the jeep liberty sport 4WD untill i saw the RL tv commercial. We went out to eat one day and afterwards we went to the local honda dealer to look at one. The GF wasnt to impresed at first,but after a short test drive, she liked it. I never thought I would ever be in a honda dealership, bieng a dodge guy, but I just love this thing(RL) and have to have one. The brochure says it will tow 5000# so it will do just fine to tow my drag car and trailer. The only thing I could not figure out was if the RL has a "low range" capibility. Like the stick in the floor of my '87 ram 4x4 2H-4H-4L . Does it have a low range ? Regaredless we will prolly buy one anyway.
The Ridgeline does not have a transfer case with a high or low gear shift like a Jeep. Its equivalent to being in high gear 4x4 all the time.

I have a Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD fully loaded for sale, pm me if you like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Above posters have all pretty much said it... However, I just traded my '03 Liberty for a RTL... no comparison. No problems with the Jeep, put 60,000 miles on it, just oil changes, wiper blades and new tires at 59,000.

The BIG difference will be the ride. If 4WD is your concern this may be an issue as well. I'm not a rock climber with my 4WD's but certainly appreciate advantages in New England's winters and the occasional swampy, muddy job site I may be on.

Also of BIG importance was the storage possibilites, once again, no comparison.

I would go test drive the Liberty and them immeadiately drive the Ridgeline. This should give you a real "feel".

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
STEREOLAB IS RIGHT.

TEST DRIVE BOTH TODAY, ONE BEHIND THE OTHER,

I HAVE BEEN THROUGH 18 COMPANY CARS, MINIVANS, WAGONS, ETC. IN THE LAST 35 YEARS.
I HAD NOT PURCHASED A NEW VEHICLE SINCE 1985. WAS ABOUT TO PURCHASE AN SUV BUT CHANGED AND WENT WITH THE RIDGELINE.

BEST DECISION I HAVE MADE IN A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know this thread started last month but since it resurfaced here's MO!

Former Dodge Guy myself, If the GF liked it just wait. It seems that when I get home from work my Truck is in a different place in the Driveway or in the Garage or turned around. My wife loves it, she loves the ride and how it handles. It almost seems that I will have to get my own Ridgeline or face the fact that I might of just adopted a Honda Odyssey.

I feel you would be happy with the Ridgeline. From what I have read it would tow your trailer just fine. Just MO though.

Truck2212

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you buy the Liberty get the diesel,it's discontinued and will be valuable.There is no comparison between the two rigs.The Ridge is far superior.

L

·
0 Posts
I hate to tell you guys this but this thread started last year. :(

You sure are die-hard ROC head helpers aren't ya!! :)

L

·
0 Posts
bigred1 said:
good eye LR!!! i didn't even notice:)
Thanks BR...I had to train myself to look at that date...I can't tell you how many times I tried to help someone buy a Ridgeline who already bought it several months earlier.:eek: :eek: :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
Didn't even look, just was giving my 2 cents, and with inflation, since this thread started last year it probably just cost me 4.

Got me on this one, I had caught myself once or twice already when I was about to answer old posts.

thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you had asked that question a year ago I believe that Mike Deason would have told you to buy both the Liberty and Ridgeline but put the Ridgeline up on blocks in the garage to increase in value as a collectable.
;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
MontanaFred said:
If you had asked that question a year ago I believe that Mike Deason would have told you to buy both the Liberty and Ridgeline but put the Ridgeline up on blocks in the garage to increase in value as a collectable.
;)
Darn, ya beat me to it........

Mike Deason, we miss you!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts