Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

RL Won't Start Need Neutral

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  longboat 
#1 ·
The RL won't start and it's half in or half out of the garage depending on one's point of view. :(

Does anyone know how to get the RL in neutral when you can't start the truck?

Thanks,
Craig

#2 ·
If I remember correctly there is a small cover inside the center console, near the top, forward toward the shifter that can be removed to unlock the transmission if it can't be started. I want to say you have to stick the metal key into the slot or something. Should be in your owners manual.

#4 ·
Well the RL is all the way in the garage thanks to Skeive and page 570 of the CD that came with the RL.
Page 570 shows you how to release the shift knob when the engine won't start. The page 570 instructions are not for emergency towing, just for releasing the shift knob only.

Thanks again,
Craig

#5 ·
Ordinarily, you should just be able to turn the key to the second position and move the shift knob to N. The emergency release is for when the shifter is malfunctoning for some reason.

So you're saying the RL wouldn't start, AND the shifter was malfunctioning?

#8 ·
Found the problem, yea for me. :)

It was a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box under the dash inside the RL on the drivers side. This truck sure has a lot of fuses but I guess all cars do nowadays. Changed the bad fuse and the RL started up and ran like a champ. :)

What does surprise me is the fact that one fuse controlling only the back-up lights and cargo lights would stop the truck from running. Makes me wonder what would happen if one to the light bulbs controlled by that fuse were to burn out while driving? Would the truck come to a stop or just not start again after stopping? Well that something for me to look into when I get some extra time on my hands.

For now all is good and maybe I can get some sleep now, our RL is only 11 days old and I was worried a bit to say the least.

Thanks again for all the quick posts responding to my little problem.

Craig

#12 ·
The short was my fault trying to find which wire was hot and which wire was ground. :( I'm still shocked that a blown fuse controlling back up and cargo lights stops the RL from starting.

A bulb burning out will not usually cause a short if the bulb filament burns out (breaks) on the inside of the glass enclosure. If the glass enclosure were to lose its seal (vacuum inside) then you would have a direct short and that could blow the fuse (not common, does happen).

To me the saddest part is that I use to own a car alarm company. We (I) use to install car alarms, CB and Ham radios, upgraded radios and other little goodies. Now I'm having trouble finding a hot wire :(.

Thanks again,
Craig

P.S.
We switch from a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega cab 4x4 short bed to the RL. The Ram had a little more room inside and out and could pull anything on the road. The RL is just so much more fun to drive, easier to park and cost less at the pumps. No regrets getting the RL at all. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.