Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
23,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
A few common misconceptions I see regarding EV's:

1. Many people are turned off by long charge times (particularly for level 1 chargers) without considering that their normal daily commute could easily be covered by a nightly charge from a 120 volt outlet. They somehow seem to think that they're going to deplete a 300-mile battery every single day over a 30-mile commute. Or, maybe they don't consider that an EV lets you easily and conveniently "top off the tank" at home on a daily basis - it would be much less convenient to top off a gasoline-powered vehicle every day.

2. An EV's cost per mile will vary depending on where you charge. Charging at my home would cost about 9¢/kWh while some fast chargers charge as much as 50¢/kWh! If you always charge using a fast charger, an EV could actually cost you more per mile than a hybrid or even ICE-only automobile. I pointed this out to a friend of mine who was paying nearly as much per mile for electricity to charge his Mustang Mach E as I was paying for gasoline for my Ridgeline.

3. The battery will require an expensive replacement at 8 years or 100,000 miles. That's typically the warranty of an EV battery during which time the manufacturer guarantees it will retain 70-80% of its original capacity. First, most batteries will last much longer than that - you'll probably still have at least half the original capacity after 20 years. Even then, a 150-mile range is still more than adequate for the daily commutes of most people. Relatively few people keep the same vehicle for 8 years - let alone 20.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,843 Posts
I had an opportunity to purchase a new vehicle (2022 Rav4 LE Hybrid) for work and the markup was only $1500, as opposed to $5K. Even then, it felt silly that they use market adjustment on literally every vehicle. Stories about some used cars going more than they were new (and they are not collectors vehicles), is also mind-bending. I like the mfgr to customer and wont mind getting the vehicle picked up from the dealership. One could guess what baggage they may come with, if it is mfg-to-customer direct.

What? No Apple CarPlay on the R1T??
Thought you knew - unless you are being funny.

·
Administrator
23,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thought you knew - unless you are being funny.
I really didn't know - this omission caught me off guard. I use Apple CarPlay constantly in all of my automobiles. This would keep me from buying an R1T. I assume it's coming "later" as an OTA update the way Android Auto came (much) later to the 2019 RDX.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,843 Posts
I really didn't know - this omission caught me off guard. I use Apple CarPlay constantly in all of my automobiles. This would keep me from buying an R1T. I assume it's coming "later" as an OTA update the way Android Auto came (much) later to the 2019 RDX.
Many of the R1T reviews made a point to mention it. Not sure if it was a licensing issue, but it did surprise me that the CarPlay was out.
I seldom use my Android Auto and I would be curious how many folks who actually use CarPlay would be turned off by the absence. I think more folks just complain about the lack of it.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts