Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

'20 RTL-E, six weeks and <1000 miles. Love the truck, only issue I have is the Bluetooth mic.

When travelling at highway speeds, the Bluetooth mic picks up road or wind noise, to the point that those on the phone with me cannot hear me, just the noise. I tested it with my wife's phone, and the noise becomes noticeable about 25 mph, becomes loud about 40 mph, and seems to be louder with increasing speed. At 75-80 mph (yes we have 80 mph speed limits around here!) it is very loud. I am using an iphone X.

The truck, to my old ears, is remarkably quiet. I am thinking it's wind noise from the windshield, or some other non-aerodynamic issue close to the location of the mic. I don't see anything outside of the area that would cause it.

Has anyone had this issue, and discovered a fix? I've searched this forum and don't see any similar issues. One possible solution may be to pop the overhead down and fit some sound deadening or insulation around the mic. I am open to ideas. I really hate to take to the dealer because it will be one of those "can't duplicate" issues, without a doubt.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you can duplicate it, then demonstrate the issue for the dealer. It sounds like something is wrong to me. I haven't had any complaints in my 2019. Most people can tell when I am driving on the highway or at least that I'm on a speaker phone. Traffic noise is a giveaway if there is any, but I can carry on conversations with no issues.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,792 Posts
Just FYI / general info ...

So, when in hands-free phone mode the mic(s) are designed to pick-up sound from the largest area in the cabin.

Note that our G2 RL's have "ANC" ("Active Noise Cancellation") which acts only to cancel low-frequency noise primarily associated with VCM activation. BUT, our G2 RLs do not have Honda's next generation "Active Sound Control" which acts to cancel cabin noise over a much broader spectrum (e.g. general engine, road, and wind noise).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bike in crazy Asian traffic before I arrive in the mountains. I have plenty of ambient traffic noise with Trekz Air. Perfect on the ascent and flats, not great descending but I prefer pure focus on the way down Nox Vidmate VLC anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts